Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Arab Christian & Arab Muslim in brotherhood.

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM
  • 15 Replies

In my article I shall address the following:

(full article):  http://www.al-bushra.org/latpatra/invest.htm

1) Harmony between Christians and Muslims
2) What did Arab Christians give to Arabs?
3) Example of our Prophets and great men
4) Christians made in America
5) Our responsibility together
6) The Responsibility of Muslims toward Christians
...In fact, we have been Arabs for about 6,000 years.
We have been Arab Christians for 2,000 years.
We have been Arab Muslims for about 1,500 years.

Our community as Arabs is older than our different religious communities. We have proven that being an Arab is more important than being either Christian or Muslim, when we fought together against colonialism, and when we built our various countries. The colonialism of the past, as well as the present occupation do not differentiate between us. They see us as merely Lebanese, Iraqis, Palestinians, Syrians, Egyptians... all suffering the same fate under the same circumstances.

If some Arab Muslims suffer economic hardship, it is not because of any actions on the part of their Arab-Christian brethren. It is because of the economic situation in Palestine, Jordan, Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Lebanon. This economic hardship is affecting everyone, because of certain discriminatory laws like the one of the state of Israel against all non-Jews (Note: These laws never refer to "Arabs"), and because of the difficult situations in the other countries where resources are minimal.
And, as usual, the majority suffers more than the minority. Christians are less than 2% in the Holy Land, while the majority is their Muslim bloodbrothers.

On this difficult economic situation, we as Arab Muslims and Christians are living and suffering the same. Some Arab Christians as well some Arab Muslims are rich, very rich sometimes, and they unfortunately forget their other brothers and sisters be they Muslims or Christians.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
realPatientMama
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:22 AM

There is a lady in our building in Jordan who is a Christian, her name is Ida, she takes care of my MIL when she needs help. I believe she comes every morning to visit with my MIL.  She also makes my MIL breakfast when she is ill.

They are Arabs, they do not care what religion they are....Arabs help each other.  This year for Easter Ida and her family came up to our house and gave my boys Easter Eggs.  She made them herself with elaborate decorations. She wanted to share her holiday and it was very nice of her. Later on downstairs at another neighbors they had an Easter Egg hunt outside for the children, Christians and Muslims. It was very touching, the kids found all the eggs, then it was time for the Adthan, call to prayer. All the Muslims went to make wudu and pray and the Christians set the table for tea and cake.

They live in peace and harmoney and they do it well.

Grannygoli
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM

bump for later

jennylynne2003
by Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I have seen this in action but only in turkey which is very liberated and here in the US. Religion will always separate in never bring together and that is the saddest part.

tericared
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Quoting realPatientMama:

There is a lady in our building in Jordan who is a Christian, her name is Ida, she takes care of my MIL when she needs help. I believe she comes every morning to visit with my MIL.  She also makes my MIL breakfast when she is ill.

They are Arabs, they do not care what religion they are....Arabs help each other.  This year for Easter Ida and her family came up to our house and gave my boys Easter Eggs.  She made them herself with elaborate decorations. She wanted to share her holiday and it was very nice of her. Later on downstairs at another neighbors they had an Easter Egg hunt outside for the children, Christians and Muslims. It was very touching, the kids found all the eggs, then it was time for the Adthan, call to prayer. All the Muslims went to make wudu and pray and the Christians set the table for tea and cake.

Great example........

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 11:29 PM

It really warms my heart when people put aside their religion and help eachother.  It is so important especially during hard times to band together.  But as long as people put religion first, they won't be able to live in harmony with anyone - especially with that holier-than-thou mindset.

jennylynne2003
by Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

It really warms my heart when people put aside their religion and help eachother.  It is so important especially during hard times to band together.  But as long as people put religion first, they won't be able to live in harmony with anyone - especially with that holier-than-thou mindset.

I love your last sentence, it is so true

Grannygoli
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Quoting jennylynne2003:

I have seen this in action but only in turkey which is very liberated and here in the US. Religion will always separate in never bring together and that is the saddest part.

When I travelled to Iran, I visited Esfahan which is a big artistic city with ancient mysterious architecture and many beautiful bridges.  There I visited the Christian neighborhood which has old Armenian churches.  The Christians and Muslims live and interact with each other with peace there and all throughout the city and other cities.  I spoke to them and they even showed me some artifacts such as a tiny Koran written in the smallest writing ever in their museum.

Another example of religions and peace is that the biggest holiday in Iran is the Norooz which is the celebration of the Spring equinox.  Some argue that the roots of this celebration is in the Zoroastrian religion and some argue that it dates even further back.  Nevertheless, it is agreed that it is older than Islam. 

After the Islamic revolution, the state wanted to get rid of this holiday and the people did not allow it.  It is still celebrated today.

I also have a Jewish Iranian friend who lives amongst atheist and Muslim Iranians.  I know manuy many people who are of different religions and they live with each other, marry each other and live in peace.

It is not true that religion will separate people.  Pay attention to who gives you those messages of hate and what they are trying to promote or what are they scared of.

Hate and fear are not liberating.  Love and peace are the answer and people like to live in love and peace, all people do.

Grannygoli
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting realPatientMama:

Great example........

It is  a great example.  These children who play together will not grow up to kill each other.  Celebrating holidays together is very powerful. 

muslimah
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Quoting jennylynne2003:

Actually there are places in the U.S. that it is like this also. I live in Michigan which is the largest population of Arabs and Chaldean's (Iraqi Christians) in North American. We have Palestinians, Syrians, Egyptians, Lebanese, Yemenis, etc both Muslim and Christians and they are all just Arabs, there is no religious divide.

Take where I work for example. I work for and with Shia Muslims, I am Sunni and many of our employees are Christian. We all work together, get along and some are like family to me.

My best friend in the whole world for 10 years (Paul) is a Chaldean (Iraqi Catholic) and we have for 10 years been together like brother and sister for everything.

Grannygoli
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting jennylynne2003:

Actually there are places in the U.S. that it is like this also. I live in Michigan which is the largest population of Arabs and Chaldean's (Iraqi Christians) in North American. We have Palestinians, Syrians, Egyptians, Lebanese, Yemenis, etc both Muslim and Christians and they are all just Arabs, there is no religious divide.

Take where I work for example. I work for and with Shia Muslims, I am Sunni and many of our employees are Christian. We all work together, get along and some are like family to me.

My best friend in the whole world for 10 years (Paul) is a Chaldean (Iraqi Catholic) and we have for 10 years been together like brother and sister for everything.

AH!  I love that Muslimah.  You are so right.  There are examples of it right under our noses. 

When I lived in New York, there too, there were so many different religions that got along together and they got together for knowledge and celebration.  In markets, in schools, in holiday parades and celebrations, they got together. 

Food is a very good way to get people together.  We had this potluck in my dorm building where people from all religions would bring food from their regions and share.  It does not mean that we will always love every single dish but we don't love every single dish in our own cultures either. 

Even here where I live in the south, a lot of my friends are Christians and I get along just fine with them and our children play together.

The point is that we share and nourish ourselves together and that is prrof that religions can get along because we are all human. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)