Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A triple header on the war in Afghanistan

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM
  • 3 Replies

Obama Plans Accelerated Troop Deployment for Afghan Mission

President Barack Obama has ordered an 18-month "surge" of 30,000 troops into Afghanistan, after which the administration will review the war's progress and set a withdrawal timetable, a White House official said Tuesday.

At least some of the U.S. forces will begin withdrawing from Afghanistan in July 2011. That timetable suggests the troop commitment, which will take U.S. forces to nearly 100,000, won't be the sort of open-ended increase requested by top U.S. commander Gen. Stanley McChrystal.

Fight Looms on How to Pay for New War Plan

WASHINGTON -- When President Barack Obama unveils his new Afghan war strategy Tuesday, he will face an immediate political fight over how to pay for it.

After a months-long review, Mr. Obama summoned Defense Secretary Robert Gates and other top military and civilian officials Sunday night to the White House to brief them on his decision to send tens of thousands of new U.S. troops to Afghanistan. The president will detail the plan in a prime-time speech Tuesday.

It may be a tough sell. The hefty price tag of the pending Afghan troop increase is already drawing opposition from many Congressional Democrats, deepening Mr. Obama's estrangement from his own party over the conflict.

Some Democrats are coalescing around a new proposal to levy a war tax to help fund the conflict. The proposal by Wisconsin Democratic Rep. David Obey, who chairs the House Appropriations Committee, would impose a 1% tax on most Americans that rises to 5% for wealthier citizens. The administration has yet to weigh in on Mr. Obey's proposal, which would likely have a difficult time getting passed.

"If the president intends to go in over our objections, he should have to bear the burden of asking for a tax to pay for it," said Rep. Mike Honda (D., Calif.), a member of the House Appropriations Committee who supports the new tax. "You're talking about $30 billion or $40 billion per year in new spending. It's expensive."

Karzai Aides, Tribal Leaders Say Surge Is Wrong Strategy

KABUL -- Some powerful Afghan politicians and tribal leaders have expressed doubts that more U.S. troops can turn the tide of the war, as President Barack Obama prepares to unveil a new Afghanistan strategy Tuesday.

"We should focus on building the Afghan security forces, not sending more troops," said Sebgatullah Sanjar, the chief policy adviser to Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

The U.S. and its allies hope that by sending more troops they can push the Taliban back from areas where they have been operating freely for years, and impede the insurgents' ability to operate. This would create the space needed to bring development and begin to win over a war-weary population.

Thoughts?

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
             Group Mod

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
tericared
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

"We should focus on building the Afghan security forces, not sending more troops," said Sebgatullah Sanjar, the chief policy adviser to Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

Join us on

Group Mod

sweetie00
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Quoting tericared:

I think he might say that this is the reason for it. I disagree. It seems he is trying to please BOTH sides-Conservative and Liberal. I'm disappointed that he doesn't have the balls or brains to follow though on his campaign platforms. Did he not run as an anti-war candidate? When do we say 'get out'? 'Let it be', 'stop trying to control the world'? This will bite us in the butt.

I'm just a bored housewife, what am I missing? Why do I feel that most of us on CM are smarter than this guy?

tericared
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I dont think more troops are the answer,,,but in his defence...he did want to get out of Iraq and focus on Afghanistan.....One good thing is the President of Afghanistan will no longer be getting a blank check from out government....Monies now will go to the locals in charge..... 

Join us on

Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)