Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Facebook, MySpace ban New York sex offenders

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:41 PM
  • 11 Replies

AFP - Facebook and MySpace have closed the accounts of 3,533 convicted sex offenders in New York state under a law combating online predators, officials said Tuesday.

New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo urged other social networking sites to follow the lead and apply the Electronic Security and Targeting of Online Predators Act (e-STOP), a law passed last year that requires convicted sex offenders to list all their online addresses with the state.

"Facebook and MySpace are successfully using e-STOP to help make the Internet safer, and it's time for all social networking sites to do their part to keep others from being senselessly victimized," Cuomo told reporters.

Facebook booted 3,410 accounts linked to 2,782 registered sex offenders from its service, while MySpace shut down 1,975 accounts linked to 1,796 offenders in recent weeks. There was overlap because some of them had accounts with both networking sites.

Some 8,100 registered sex offenders have provided their online details to the state, which then supplies social networking sites with the information.

http://www.france24.com/en/node/4938062

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
             Group Mod

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Good for them...Shouldnt sex offenders be banned to any site on the PC where they have contact with minors? 

Join us on

Group Mod

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Honestly, it is a catch 22 since not just sex offenders end up on the registry. However, they could go one step better and send the state lists to ISPs and require a filing from the ISP if one registers with them, thus tracking through the ISP. Nothing is perfect and people will find ways around it but it is a start.

Quoting tericared:

Good for them...Shouldnt sex offenders be banned to any site on the PC where they have contact with minors? 

Join us on

Group Mod

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I'm really thrilled about this.  And horrified that so many sex offenders were registered to facebook and myspace!banging head into wall

Jennifer - Mom to 2 lovely childrenboy n girl, wife to one adorable husbandin love

sweetie00
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I guess it falls in line with physical addresses.

tericared
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Funny I remember some Moms on here saying how safe their kids were on social net work sites.. 

Join us on

Group Mod

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:24 PM

And this is only one state....

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm really thrilled about this.  And horrified that so many sex offenders were registered to facebook and myspace!banging head into wall

Join us on

Group Mod

carterscutie85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Not all sex offenders are child predators you know. An 18 year old man can have sex with his 16 year old girlfriend WITH HER CONSENT, but if the parents find out and press charges, or if she lies and cries rape, he can go to jail and have to register as a sex offender. I say Myspace and Facebook needs to look into the nature of the crime. If it was something like what I mentioned above, and the sex was mutual but her parents pressed charges against the 16 year old's wishes, then no, they shouldn't be banned. I know someone who had consentual sex with his underage girlfriend but her parents found out and pressed charges so it can and does happen. He now has to register as a sex offender and he is  one of the most harmless people I know! Not a child predator in any way and should not be banned from social networking sites.

If it was something horrible like raping a child or the like, then I agree with banning them.

But still, there are ways to get around it. Anyone can be anyone on the Internet.  A predator can go create an account on one of those sites right now under a fake name and no one would know who they really were.

And banning IP addresses is not a good idea. I belong to a board where the moderator tried to ban someone by blocking their IP address. Well, it made it to where a few other regulars could also not acess the board even though he did not intend to ban them. He explained why it happened, but I don't remember what he said about it.  The same thing could happen on Myspace or Facebook, if they tried to block someone using their IP address is might effect someone else who didn't do any wrong.

And, what if there is someone else with the same name as the sex offender?  How do they know who is who?  I am sure there is more than one "John Smith" out there, and I am sure at least one of those John's is a sex offender..but you can't go spoiling the whole bunch just because of one bad apple.

tericared
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I am sorry but any one who is breaking the law by having sex with someone who is under age is still breaking the law...Period.... 

Join us on

Group Mod

carterscutie85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM

It might be breaking the law but if it was consentual then they shouldn't be banned. When I was 17 I lost my virginity to a 21 year old. I knew EXACTLY what I was doing and consented to it. Cases like mine should be the exception to having to register as a sex offender just because some parents can't stand that their baby isn't a virgin anymore and want to seek revenge on the guy. My parents never pressed charges because they knew I agreed to it.

Quoting tericared:

I am sorry but any one who is breaking the law by having sex with someone who is under age is still breaking the law...Period.... 

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I wanted to clarify something in case the IP part was in relation to my post about IP addresses. What I meant was that they should turn the IP address over to the state for tracking of the person not that it should be banned by a site. I am very aware of what can happen when they do that. However, if they use it to track the person's web usage they will know immediately if the person is violating their stipulations. I know some might say that this is invasion but in this day and age and until they repeal the Patriot act it is nothing, especially if you let them know they will be tracked.

Quoting carterscutie85:

Not all sex offenders are child predators you know. An 18 year old man can have sex with his 16 year old girlfriend WITH HER CONSENT, but if the parents find out and press charges, or if she lies and cries rape, he can go to jail and have to register as a sex offender. I say Myspace and Facebook needs to look into the nature of the crime. If it was something like what I mentioned above, and the sex was mutual but her parents pressed charges against the 16 year old's wishes, then no, they shouldn't be banned. I know someone who had consentual sex with his underage girlfriend but her parents found out and pressed charges so it can and does happen. He now has to register as a sex offender and he is  one of the most harmless people I know! Not a child predator in any way and should not be banned from social networking sites.

If it was something horrible like raping a child or the like, then I agree with banning them.

But still, there are ways to get around it. Anyone can be anyone on the Internet.  A predator can go create an account on one of those sites right now under a fake name and no one would know who they really were.

And banning IP addresses is not a good idea. I belong to a board where the moderator tried to ban someone by blocking their IP address. Well, it made it to where a few other regulars could also not acess the board even though he did not intend to ban them. He explained why it happened, but I don't remember what he said about it.  The same thing could happen on Myspace or Facebook, if they tried to block someone using their IP address is might effect someone else who didn't do any wrong.

And, what if there is someone else with the same name as the sex offender?  How do they know who is who?  I am sure there is more than one "John Smith" out there, and I am sure at least one of those John's is a sex offender..but you can't go spoiling the whole bunch just because of one bad apple.

Join us on

Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)