Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think we should escalate the war to end it?

Posted by   + Show Post

That is my understanding. We are sending 30,000 troops, but will plan withdrawal in 2011... so are we escalating the war to end it? What do you think?

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
              Group Mod

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
greenlvnanna
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Quoting JSA8914:

I love that theory, too, but I know it's not realistic.  I know it would never happen, and it's not something I pray for every night or anything like that.  It's just how I feel.  I especially felt that way when I responded to that post, because 5 hours later I had to drop my husband off to deploy.

Quoting jennylynne2003:

Quoting stormcris:

What do you think would happen if we did? I mean after all we are not the only ones with nukes.

Quoting JSA8914:

My husband is going over there in a short, short while.  I just wish we would end all of this crap and let him and the other troops be home for more than a year or so. It's so not PC, but we should nuke 'em.

That is true, lets not get nuke happy. while i love that theory realistically we need a GOOD exit plan.hell bring in the special ops all over the middle east and set them out to do their job.

Nuke em???  Please don't even go there.  I know you are angry but wishing for nukes is really really dangerous in this time. Do you realize that there are bombs out there that need multiple bombs the size of the ones that WE dropped on Hiroshima just to detonate it?  There are enough nukes out there to literally end ALL life as we know it. 

conniecabe
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I get that we are all war weary.  But to be honest, why are we all pissed at Obama?  He campaigned about re-focusing on Afghanistan, remember?   Do I think we should be there?  I'm not sure, but I'm not surprised about it at all.

With all this said, has anyone noticed the amount of international support we have this time around? I don't know.  I hate the idea of more lives being lost in this war (American/Afghanistan both).  But, how soon we forget how wonderful it was to see Afghan girls/women actually being treated as humans; you know getting the chance to go to school, for example? The Taliban regains power because Bush diverts troops to Iraq and *bam* those women/girls are second class citizens again.

Yes, the Soviets and the British ended up pulling out of Afghanistan and we may very well end up doing the same thing.  I hope not, because for once it would be nice to see some human rights progress in that country.

Kaylerria
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I agree with some of the women.  Just bring back the men and women to the U.S.A.  I live in a military town and I was here right after the 9/11 attacks and to hear the women miss their men is rough.  Are we really protecting ourselves from terrorism? Or are we going more in debt trying to make something good out of something that has been fighting for decades? If all the money we dumped into this went to beefing up our borders, improving healthcare, and restoring our American Dreams (jobs).  We wouldn't be in a recession.  I have friends from Sweden and Canada and to hear some of the things they say about us "Americans" really upset me. It's not what I wanted to do. It's what the Government wanted to do. I never voted until this last election.  I was giving hope to a man that seemed genuine in helping Americans and I liked how he seemed to care.  I didn't like any of the stuff that they (politicians that wanted votes) were "promising" us. Because I didn't believe them. Anyway. I'm starting to go way off topic here. <giggles>

holding cloth bagJessica Lopeman Want to get a headstart in being eco friendly for our environment, save money in the process and work from home?www.internetceomoms.com/ecocleaner

sweetie00
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Connie it would be nice to improve thngs over there for Afghanis, but let's not fool ourselves. That was/is not our intention. They said the same thing about Iraq AFTER the real motivation was debunked-The WMD's.We did not have noble intentions. I'm sorry, I don't buy it. We aren't the worlds police or saviour.

And besides, if that were our true  intention, military action is the last way to promote  social change. http://www.gregmortenson.com/biography/ this guy has the right idea.

conniecabe
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Quoting sweetie00:

Connie it would be nice to improve thngs over there for Afghanis, but let's not fool ourselves. That was/is not our intention. They said the same thing about Iraq AFTER the real motivation was debunked-The WMD's.We did not have noble intentions. I'm sorry, I don't buy it. We aren't the worlds police or saviour.

First of all, I was completely pissed that we went to Iraq at all. It did distract from the progress that was being demonstrated in Afghanistan. I blame Bush for not finishing what he started.  He left Obama a huge mess.  However, Obama campaigned about his plans for Afghanistan, did he not?

While I am quite aware that we aren't the world's police or saviour, it is pretty obvious that Afghanistan has taken a huge jump backwards. Did you happen to watch Rachel Maddow last night?  Susan Rice was on, she was very clear about why we need to do this.   In addition, I watched Secretary Clinton today, she's saying the same thing. Maybe it's just me, but their arguments make sense.  

I guess I believe Americans need to give Obama a chance.  Seriously, why did we expect different?  Did we expect Obama to pull out of both wars, repair the economy, fix health care, close GITMO, end don't ask , don't tell and legalize gay marriage in under a year?  If so, we need to evaluate our expectations. Bush left quite a mess in his wake, one that can't be repaired overnight.  One of which is what to do about Afghanistan.  I'm willing to see if Obama's plan works.  Why not?  What's 18 more months in the grand scheme of it all?

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 4, 2009 at 7:59 PM

If we were not advancing on Pakistan then perhaps it would not be as bad.

Quoting conniecabe:

Quoting sweetie00:

First of all, I was completely pissed that we went to Iraq at all. It did distract from the progress that was being demonstrated in Afghanistan. I blame Bush for not finishing what he started.  He left Obama a huge mess.  However, Obama campaigned about his plans for Afghanistan, did he not?

While I am quite aware that we aren't the world's police or saviour, it is pretty obvious that Afghanistan has taken a huge jump backwards. Did you happen to watch Rachel Maddow last night?  Susan Rice was on, she was very clear about why we need to do this.   In addition, I watched Secretary Clinton today, she's saying the same thing. Maybe it's just me, but their arguments make sense.  

I guess I believe Americans need to give Obama a chance.  Seriously, why did we expect different?  Did we expect Obama to pull out of both wars, repair the economy, fix health care, close GITMO, end don't ask , don't tell and legalize gay marriage in under a year?  If so, we need to evaluate our expectations. Bush left quite a mess in his wake, one that can't be repaired overnight.  One of which is what to do about Afghanistan.  I'm willing to see if Obama's plan works.  Why not?  What's 18 more months in the grand scheme of it all?

Join us on

Group Mod

conniecabe
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Quoting stormcris:

If we were not advancing on Pakistan then perhaps it would not be as bad.

I can't disagree here. It could be an explosive situation. However, I'm of the belief that if Pakistan doesn't want us in their country, they should stop taking our money (the $3.5 bn military aid package).

Link

Earlier this year, U.S. officials said their goal was to train more than 9,000 members of Pakistan's paramilitary Frontier Corps, and to slash the four-year training time by as much as half.

Training the paramilitary troops - budgeted at about $200 million in this fiscal year - is included in the administration's five-year, $3.5 billion funding package for military aid to Pakistan.

The U.S. sees the Frontier Corps as a critical ally in rooting out al-Qaida's hidden sanctuaries. The paramilitary corps members, said the senior defense official, have access to hard-to-reach border regions where the Pakistani Army has little presence.

"Giving extremists breathing room in Pakistan led to the resurgence of the Taliban and more coordinated, sophisticated attacks in Afghanistan," Defense Secretary Robert Gates told Congress this week.

Over the past year, U.S. leaders have pushed Islamabad to beef up its operations against militants on the border. But those efforts have been hindered by the strained relationship between Washington and Islamabad.

BellaBlondie
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Quoting JSA8914:

My husband is going over there in a short, short while.  I just wish we would end all of this crap and let him and the other troops be home for more t

han a year or so. It's so not PC, but we should nuke 'em.

It ended the 2 world war.  My dad said after 911, if anyone in the mid east is responsible, turn it into a glass graveyard.

tericared
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Quoting BellaBlondie:

Quoting JSA8914:

My husband is going over there in a short, short while.  I just wish we would end all of this crap and let him and the other troops be home for more t

It ended the 2 world war.  My dad said after 911, if anyone in the mid east is responsible, turn it into a glass graveyard.

how nice,,just blow everyone up......

Join us on

Group Mod

Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 6, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Quoting BellaBlondie:

Quoting JSA8914:

That was how it has been understood, but it isn't necessarily all true.  Japan was pretty much out of options to continue its fighting.  Many WWII scholars believe one primary reason the US dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a combat display directed toward the Soviets and a method of reducing Soviet political influence in Asia.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN