Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (12/3): Did she decide to be a lesbian?

Family Ties's Meredith Baxter: 'I'm a Lesbian Mom'

By Blaine Zuckerman

Wednesday December 02, 2009 08:15 AM EST

Family Ties's Meredith Baxter: 'I'm a Lesbian Mom' | Meredith Baxter

Meredith Baxter (seated) with her twins Mollie and Peter and partner Nancy Locke

Most people know Meredith Baxter as Elyse Keaton, everyone's favorite mom from the hit '80s sitcom Family Ties. But now the actress reveals to PEOPLE that she's ready for the world to see her in a different - and surprising - way: "I'm a lesbian mom," she says.

Before Baxter, 62, first started dating women seven years ago, the thought of being gay "had never crossed my mind," she tells PEOPLE. Having been in three failed marriages to men (most famously to actor David Birney), she says of her many difficult years before coming out, "I was never comfortable with myself." But she's quick to add, "That doesn't mean I was questioning."

Now in a four-year relationship with building contractor Nancy Locke - the couple have lived together for two years - the actress, who continues to act and run a skincare company, says, "I feel like I'm being honest for the first time."

Baxter was open about her new-found identity almost immediately with her five kids. Her son Peter's reaction, like that of his siblings, was both reassuring and supportive. "I just couldn't stop smiling," says Peter, 25, "because she finally figured it out."

Is sexuality a choice? 

Or genetic?

Or somewhere in between?

What do you think?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 1:43 AM
Replies (31-39):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 3, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I think you are born gay. I also think some people chose to be gay. The point though is they deserve equal rights as well. JMO 

*Happily married mommy of a princess and a prince with one on the way!*

AMom29
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Quoting Bubby_LeilaBug:

crazy!

Quoting AMom29:

OK, don't hold back there.

AMom29
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting AMom29:

I am probably going to be blasted, but this is a question that I have.

I want to know -- is this the "hip" thing to do for women of a certain age? 

The first time I ever heard Wanda Sykes (then Wanda Sykes-Hall) perform she was married and her routine was about her and her hubby, dating, etc.  Now she's gay.  Carol Helfer (I think that's right) -- the chick that Elaine was based off of in Seinfeld -- she's gay now.  Kelly McGillis recently came out.  Now Meredith Baxter.  I think there are others I'm missing from this list, but I can't remember any more.

This seems to me the thing to do now once women hit their 40s, 50s, etc.  Does anyone else get this vibe, or am I crazy?

Or does it take some women that long to really be okay with themselves and get over the fact that some people close to them will not be accepting? I have a friend in her 40'. We ALL think she's gay. She married briefly, no kids, divorced after a couple years in her early 20's. Has always dated men. When we talk about dating, she has such a strict criteria list of what men can and can not be/have before she'll even go on one date....it's unrealistic. People say that's so she won't have to go out. She comes from a very conservative family.....we all think she'll come out when her parents pass away.....we assume that'll be in her 50's.

I thought about that, too, but it seems like a bunch of people are doing this now, so I wondered if it was as you suggested or if it was a trendy thing to do now.  I wasn't bashing either way, just asking.

i.heart.rachel
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I cannot answer for Meredith.. but I can answer for myself.

Well, I'm going to have to say that for me I'm not sure it was a choice so much as something was suppressed since birth because I was raised in church. I don't KNOW if it was a choice, or if it was a result of the crappy relationships I had been in with men. I never EVER enjoyed being with men. I thought it was just the crappy ones I picked, but even when I was with a "good" man I didn't enjoy myself. I could never figure out why I was unhappy. Like I said, I was raised in church.. so being "gay" wasn't an option for me. I had NEVER considered it.

Looking back, I realize that since as far back as I can remember I was intrigued by gay (butch) women. I'm not sure if that was attraction, or just curiosity.

Either way, I met my partner in December of 2008 and never looked back. I love her more than I ever thought I could love anyone. She loves my children more than their own fathers do. Her mother took us in more than my (now ex) MIL ever thought of. Everything fits together perfectly for us. We don't fight, and even when we don't see eye to eye I can still see her POV.. no matter what it is.

I'm rambling now. Sorry. I know it's an absolutely amazing thing that I cannot necessarily put into words but it seems that Meredith and I have a lot in common. I'm so glad she found happiness. May God bless her and her entire family.

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, business owning (Nellie Bug's Tutus) momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

i.heart.rachel
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Quoting Sportbominable:

Another celebrity confirmation that homosexual behavior is a choice.

As is heterosexual behavior.

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, business owning (Nellie Bug's Tutus) momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

tinybubblez
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Quoting teddysmom08:

Sexuality is a choice.

this

jaxTheMom
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Why?

Quoting tinybubblez:

Quoting teddysmom08:

Sexuality is a choice.

this

coutterhill
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Quoting teddysmom08:

Sexuality is a choice.

I also believe it is a choice. I chose to be heterosexual after sleeping with women and finding men to be more my type. No, I don't believe in bi-sexuality either. This is my opinion, I don't bash others for theirs, we are allowed our own opinions. 

cranberrys2
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2009 at 6:33 PM

There is a specific gene that predisposes people to be homosexual... a scientific fact. Now, as for people "being straight" then changing, uh uh. It really doesn't take much for a woman to be in a hetero relationship, lie down spread your legs and the guy is happy. That just means she has been a great actress for a lot of years and finally allowed herself what was right for her. But I agree with the person who said "who cares, it's none of our business. The only reason she "came out" is that a tabloid was going to out her and she wanted it to be on her terms.

Cranberrys2

ladybugCranberrys2

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)