Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Amanda Knox found guilty on all six charges

From CNN.com:

Perugia, Italy (CNN) -- An Italian jury has found American student Amanda Knox and her Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito guilty in the stabbing death of British exchange student Meredith Kercher.

Knox and Sollecito were charged with murder and sexual violence in the November 2007 stabbing death of Meredith Kercher. Knox and Kercher, both studying abroad, were roommates. A third suspect was found guilty in a separate trial.

Prosecutors argued Seattle, Washington native Amanda Knox was a resentful American so angry with her British roommate that she exacted revenge during a twisted sex misadventure at their home two years ago.

They said Knox directed Sollecito and another man infatuated with her, Rudy Guede, to hold Kercher down as Knox played with a knife before slashing Kercher's throat.

Defense lawyers argued that Guede, who was convicted in a separate fast-track trial and is currently appealing his conviction, was the sole killer. On Thursday, Knox took the stand for a third time in the Perugia courtroom, telling jurors that she is not a "killer" who stabbed her former roommate.

"They say that I am calm. I am not calm," Knox said in Italian. "I fear to lose myself, to have the mask of the killer forced upon me. I fear to be defined as someone I am not."Prosecutors touted an airtight case.

They argued DNA on Kercher's bra clasp belonged to Sollecito. And the alleged murder weapon, a 6 ½-inch kitchen knife taken from Sollecito's home, had the DNA of Knox on the handle and Kercher on the blade, prosecutors said.

During the trial, the defense cast doubt on the knife evidence, arguing it doesn't match the wounds on Kercher's body.

And they said the bra clasp with Sollecito's DNA on it was left at the crime scene for weeks and is so contaminated that the evidence can't be considered credible.

See the evidence against Knox and Sollecito

Knox's family has argued she has been the victim of character assassination.

Members of Kercher's family have declined repeated CNN requests for comment.

Prosecutor Giuliano Mignini accused the defense of "lynching" the Italian police who worked on the case.

Knox and Sollecito have been jailed for more than two years. The trial began in January in Perugia, a university town about 115 miles (185 kilometers) north of Rome.

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 6:16 PM
Replies (11-18):
WImom2
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I have lived in Italy, the police are so freaking corrupt it is unbelievable. No kidding. This does NOT shock me, I knew she was screwed from day one.

gigirocks
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2009 at 11:01 PM

I feel for Amanda and I feel for the victims family. It is easy for people to sit back and make judgements without knowing everything. We all know by now that the media only tells what it wants. I would hate to be there and go through a trial where it gets broken up for months at a time.

isolde_8
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Quoting sweetie00:

omg- How can they convict with no evidence???

girlsclubmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM

So Sad.

I dont know all the details but its a tragedy for all.

rfourangels
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

But didn't they find her DNA on the knife handle? All of you who feel sorry for her, do you really believe she is innocent? If she didn't do it then yes it is horrible. But the things I've read don't make it sound good at all. Didn't she change her story a couple times? I feel sorry for the poor woman who was killed.

I do feel bad for her, because I think she was entitled to a fair trial. I've been watching the legal analysis on this, and following it. Everything is easily explainable, and not everything is allowed in their court. It wouldn't be run that way here at all. I really feel bad for her parents. Whether she is guilty or not, I don't know. She may have been part of something questionable, but may not have been the killer. While our system isn't perfect, I think she may have had a better chance at justice here.

Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 5, 2009 at 9:47 PM

From another perspective, I'm wondering if this is a result of how the average person worldwide "see's" Americans.  Perhaps we are being "stereotyped"?

rfourangels
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Quoting Della529:

From another perspective, I'm wondering if this is a result of how the average person worldwide "see's" Americans.  Perhaps we are being "stereotyped"?

I completely agree. I remember how shocked I was whenever I have traveled overseas with a group. Very clear instructions, how to act, how to walk, what not to wear- ALL of which to not appear American. Terms people would call us were horrific, "filthy Americans",etc. Even when I was young we lived in Germany for a short time (in the 70's), I would hear people frequently say to their children who were misbehaving, "Don't act that way, you're acting like an American."

My parents are both German, and live here in America. They had some issues too that they had to deal with. Those were related to some of the issues of soldiers during WWII.

There are all kinds of reasons that some have stereotyped Americans that way. There are some strong feelings, not to mention, we appear so wealthy, and to many we appear very wasteful.

Precisely the reason I won't let my kids be an exchange student overseas... at least not now.

tomatoqueen
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

But didn't they find her DNA on the knife handle? All of you who feel sorry for her, do you really believe she is innocent? If she didn't do it then yes it is horrible. But the things I've read don't make it sound good at all. Didn't she change her story a couple times? I feel sorry for the poor woman who was killed.

I watched the 20/20 on the case and I do not for ONE Second think she is guilty. The only blood of hers was in the budae. I don't remember any dna on the knife, but that would be expected. With a scene as bloody as the crime scene, she would have had bloody clothes and more (some) evidence.

The Italian system is not  a "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt system." I really hope she wins her appeal. ... she and her boyfriend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN