Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Word has come down that ABC has canceled two more appearances by Adam Lambert

Posted by   + Show Post

Adam Lambert Disappears from ABC... But Why?

Posted Friday 04 December 08:00 AM By: Scott Harris

Word has come down that ABC has canceled two more appearances by Adam Lambert, leading some to question whether the network has a double standard. We've done a little research into the situation and discovered that when it comes to handling gay themes, ABC's policy is like night and day -- where gay themes on soap opera are just fine, but not so much during nighttime music performances.

Ever since the openly gay Lambert, who seized the attention of the nation with his second place finish on last season's 'American Idol,' appeared in a controversial live performance during this year's 'American Music Awards' ceremony two weeks ago, the singer has been under siege from those offended by a routine that included kissing a male dancer on stage. According to The New York Daily News, ABC, which aired the event, received over 1,500 complaints, leading the network to cancel a scheduled appearance by Lambert on 'Good Morning America.'

Now the singer has announced that ABC has also dropped two more scheduled appearances, including a live performance during their New Year's Eve special and an upcoming guest spot on Jimmy Kimmel's late night talk show. While the singer himself seems to be taking it in stride, insisting that fans shouldn't blame ABC because they are feeling "the FCC heat," it should be noted that the FCC does not regulate programming after 10 o'clock, meaning both of these latest cancellations would not have faced any scrutiny from the government regulatory office.

So why is ABC backing away from Lambert? At first glance it would appear to be a case of the network, which is owned by Disney, being uncomfortable with the overt homosexuality portrayed by the singer during his live performance. However, a deeper look at the network's programming suggests that there may be more to the situation than simple uneasiness over Lambert's gay lifestyle, as the network's own long-running daytime drama 'One Life to Live' has been at the forefront of bringing gay characters into mainstream television.
Indeed, the show has been featuring a gay love triangle around characters Kyle, Nick and Oliver for the past several months. And while there has been some backlash about the storyline (including, as TV Guide reported at the time, the departure of one cast member who apparently objected to the way it was unfolding), for the most part critics and fans have been supportive of the show -- as has ABC. Which begs the question, if the network is gay friendly during the afternoon, why is it shying away from Lambert' after hours?

From all appearances, then, the decision appears to the result of a double standard, not between gay and straight so much as between night and day. Afternoon programming, such as 'One Life to Live' and other soap operas, is low profile. Even if fans did object to the storyline, there are so few people watching, relatively speaking, that any controversy will be a small controversy, confined to the insular soap community. In prime time, though, especially on major specials such as the 'AMA''s and Dick Clark's 'New Year's Rockin' Eve,' the spotlight on both the performer and the network is so much brighter that ABC doesn't want to risk their family friendly image on anything that has the slightest hint of scandal.

Which to us sounds a little too much like the old fashioned type of double standard after all. Because as sensitively as 'One Life to Live' has portrayed their gay characters, as long as they are regulated to the afternoon -- and superstar acts like Adam Lambert are blacklisted from prime time -- daytime TV is just another kind of closet for gays to try to come out of.

Now if only the network will let them.

by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 8:08 PM
Replies (11-14):
LancesMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Quoting IhartU:

I think many people were expecting him to outright apologize for his sexuality and admit that what he did was wrong. I'm glad he hasn't but it was nice of him to admit he took it too far. What I don't get is that there are rehearsals for performances before the awards and someone HAD to have seen his act and yet it was allowed to continue.

He mentioned that he embellished his act during the show because he was in a "moment"!

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
              Group Mod

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Quoting LancesMom:

Quoting IhartU:

I think many people were expecting him to outright apologize for his sexuality and admit that what he did was wrong. I'm glad he hasn't but it was nice of him to admit he took it too far. What I don't get is that there are rehearsals for performances before the awards and someone HAD to have seen his act and yet it was allowed to continue.

He mentioned that he embellished his act during the show because he was in a "moment"!

According to his statement regarding why  ABC cancelled (due to the kiss) was that he had embellished.  The kiss was embelleshed, the rest was rehearsed.

izzybear0217
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting heathermarie32:

Quoting kaytikat:

I'm more inclined to think it was the simulation of Oral Sex that brought the complaints.  He did take it to far.  Gay or straight, that was tacky.

Exactly. But he is getting what he wanted...lots of attention. I guess if he was more famous he probably would have gotten away with it. But he's been around like 5 minutes and already trying to be all controversial.

You guys are all forgetting 2 crucial things.  The ONLY thing that was complained about to ABC
was the kiss.  Just about EVERYONE before him was just as outlandish if not more.  Gosh, Eminem just finished rapping about having 17 rapes under his belt and wanting someone to "lick the cheese up from under [his] balls"  Adam wasn't any worse than any other entertainer not claiming to be family friendly.

I didn't mind his preformance and I listen to Eminem. I won't let my kids listen to Eminem and I would never let my kids watch this preformace. Not because of the kiss but because of the guys head in his crotch. Actually at this point I will never let my kids watch an awards show b/c artist take it too far. Right now I boycott radio and MTV and VH1 b/c of most of the songs that are played. I would never want my kids to hear those until they are old enough to understand.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2009 at 10:06 AM

They just announced that Adam will be performing on The View on ABC next week.  I guess they got a backlash for cancelling the other performances so they are backpettling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN