• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Washington DC Aids Epidemic

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM
  • 6 Replies

The US Capital, Washington DC, is fighting an epidemic of HIV / Aids that's affecting 3% of the city's population. The rate of infection is the highest in the US and higher than a number of African nations.

Washington's HIV / Aids problem is getting worse, not better. There's been a 20% increase in cases in the past two years. The city's department of health says that 3% of its residents over the age of twelve are now living with HIV / Aids. That's a rate that officials say is on a par with Uganda and parts of Kenya. The United Nations’ definition of an epidemic is when it affects more than 1% of the population.

In Washington the majority of those infected are African American. Men aged between 40 and 50 have been the hardest hit.

The city is discussing ways of tackling the problem with an emphasis on more testing. But Washington's Mayor Adrian Fenty says that so far the message appears to be going in one ear and out the other.

Three ways of transmission appear to be fuelling the spread of the virus: men having sex with men, heterosexual sex and infection through drug use.

Jonathan Beale, BBC News, Washington

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/language/wordsinthenews/2009/04/090413_witn_us_aids.shtml

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tinybubblez
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM

nobody wants to touch this?

confused

how about this? a new HIV strain that is resistant to three of the four types of anti-viral drugs that combat the disease, and progresses from infection to full-blown AIDS in two or three months !

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=azBO_AumTJhs

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Quoting tinybubblez:

nobody wants to touch this?

confused

how about this? a new HIV strain that is resistant to three of the four types of anti-viral drugs that combat the disease, and progresses from infection to full-blown AIDS in two or three months !

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=azBO_AumTJhs

That's scary.

VAmomto3
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I live just south of DC and this is not a new thing. I dont have a solution. I dunno what kind of replies you want. There is no excuse for it. They know how to be safe, it just seems like they dont care. There are places you can walk in and get free condoms, they have needle exchanges and getting tested only takes a few minutes in the clinic. I dont know what else can be done.

PamR
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I wonder if people have become complacent about practicing safe sex, since drugs have come along in the past several years that are allowing people with HIV to live longer.  I remember back in the 80s, it was a death sentence if you got AIDS and there was plenty of information out there about protecting yourself.   There were so many AIDS deaths for a while there, among a lot of prominent people, there was a real sense of urgency about getting the message of protection out.  You hardly even hear about it now. 

tinybubblez
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Quoting PamR:

I wonder if people have become complacent about practicing safe sex, since drugs have come along in the past several years that are allowing people with HIV to live longer.  I remember back in the 80s, it was a death sentence if you got AIDS and there was plenty of information out there about protecting yourself.   There were so many AIDS deaths for a while there, among a lot of prominent people, there was a real sense of urgency about getting the message of protection out.  You hardly even hear about it now. 

i agree.

a handful of ppl die from the swine flu and the govt declares a pandemic. in DC 3 % of the population is affected. that's HUGE.

this new virulent strain is frightening.

i just hope the message gets out.> protect yourself, people!

jaxTheMom
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I think this is a lot of it.  I've even heard activists accuse the DRUG COMPANIES of targeting ads specifically to gay men making it seem that aids is not such a big deal anymore.

Quoting PamR:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)