Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You Easily Disgusted? *spinoff*

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM
  • 26 Replies

USA Weekend: If You Disgust Easily, You're A Conservative...You know, Cause That Would Explain Why You Oppose Gay Marriage And Abortion.

http://www.usaweekend.com/09_issues/091213/091213science-disgusted.html

Funny, I thought I was opposed to abortion because it is the act of killing a little, living creation of God.  Didn't know it just 'disgusts' me. 

Plus, I'm disgusted more by the person that didn't flush than with what they didn't flush.  It is all about personal responsibility, not disgust factor as it relates to bodily fluids.

Are you easily disgusted?

A surprising look at how your political views might be affected

By Vi-An Nguyen

Imagine taking a sip from your drink, only to realize that it belongs to a stranger. Grossed out? If so, then you may be a conservative thinker.

High "disgust sensitivity," or a tendency to react strongly to things you think are gross, can predict political conservatism, researchers say. Less turned off? That could indicate more liberal views.

Two recent studies link disgust sensitivity with conservative attitudes on gay marriage and abortion. In one, 181 participants were tested for how they'd react to unpleasant situations, such as finding an unflushed toilet in a public restroom. Then they were asked about their political leanings. Researchers found a correlation between being easily disgusted and politically conservative.

"The more sensitive to disgust you are, the more you might react intuitively negative to sexual or other bodily behaviors that might be seen as unusual or immoral," says Yoel Inbar of Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government.

Because disgust is a reaction to perceived impurity, he says, it might inform conservative values such as opposing homosexuality, gay marriage and abortion.

http://www.weaselzippers.net/

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Of course I would be grossed out, if I accidentally took a drink out of someone elses cup, is there anyone that wouldn't? Assuming it's not a family members cup, of course....

Generally though, I am not easily disgusted nor offended.

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Ya know, if someone leaves a floater and I gotta go, I just flush the toilet. It's not like its gonna jump out and bite you. Having raised kids, I have encountered many disgusting things as I am sure most moms here have. I don't think it has anything to do with being conservative or liberal.

"You won, alright? You came in and you killed them and you took their land. That's what conquering nations do. That's what Ceasar did. He's not going around saying 'I came, I conquered, I felt really bad about it'. The history of the world is not about making friends. You had better weapons and you massacred them. End of story."  Spike

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Quoting rotPferd:

Ya know, if someone leaves a floater and I gotta go, I just flush the toilet. It's not like its gonna jump out and bite you. Having raised kids, I have encountered many disgusting things as I am sure most moms here have. I don't think it has anything to do with being conservative or liberal.

LOL, I will just flush too. Unless of course, the person didn't take potty 101, and nailed the whole seat! That, I admit, grosses me WAAAAY out!

RheaF
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Thats just stupid. Yeah I would be grossed out if I drank out of a total strangers cup. How do I know they take care of their teeth? Do not have an illness?  

Malapertinent
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I knew that being liberal was directly connected with fecal matter (non-flushed toilet) but not in such close proximity...lol...I'll stick with the grossed out.

grammie6
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I have read on this board so far.  What a ridiculous topic to even debate.... 

coast guardGrammie6

Honeybun09
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Lol it's true for me. I'm disgusted VERY easily and I'm very conservative.

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping for at least 6 months, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, spanking as a last resort believing, anti-CIO until age 1, learning to cook, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, health care is a human right believing, part-time working opposite of husband's full-time shifts to not use daycare, trying to recycle more mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I agree with the post and don't think it's ridiculous at all.

It all comes down to what you find disgusting or not. Most conservatives I know act all arrogant like their shit doesn't stink- and now I know why, because they fear it and think it's gross.

tinybubblez
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Quoting Malapertinent:

I knew that being liberal was directly connected with fecal matter (non-flushed toilet) but not in such close proximity...lol...I'll stick with the grossed out.

rolling on floor

tinybubblez
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Quoting rotPferd:

LOL, I will just flush too. Unless of course, the person didn't take potty 101, and nailed the whole seat! That, I admit, grosses me WAAAAY out!

lol and ewwww.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)