Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

`Princess and the Frog' hops to No. 1 with $25M (AP)

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

Have you seen this?  Or do you plan on seeing this.....

LOS ANGELES - "The Princess and the Frog" earned a big wet kiss from family audiences as the animated musical leaped to No. 1 with $25 million in its first weekend of nationwide release, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The Disney musical is the studio's first hand-drawn animated tale in five years, a contrast to the computer-animated films that now dominate the cartoon world.

"I've always believed that when you start with great storytelling, then the format aside doesn't mean anything," said Chuck Viane, head of distribution for Disney.

The movie also is a return to Disney's reinvention of classic fairy tales, offering a 1920s New Orleans twist on the Brothers Grimm story "The Frog Prince," following the adventures of a young woman turned into a frog by a kiss from an amphibian.

Despite its No. 1 finish, "The Princess and the Frog" drew modest crowds compared to many big animated tales, which can open with two or three times as much business. Those films typically open during the busy summer season, though, and Disney is counting on the long shelf life that many films manage during the holidays.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/princess-and-frog-hops-no-1-with-25m-ap

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bigmommasmomma
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Im not sure. People have talked SO MUCH nonsense about racism, why this is like this and not like that... I honestly don't even want to see the movie. I haven't even told my daughter about it. Maybe once all the nonsense surrounding it goes away and it comes on dvd I may get it for her.

lilyrose73
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM

My kids are anxious to see this.  We are going to go next week when they are on break... probably a matinee on Tuesday because that day our theatre has $1 popcorn and sodas ... 

Champions find a way... Losers find an excuse

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Quoting lilyrose73:

My kids are anxious to see this.  We are going to go next week when they are on break... probably a matinee on Tuesday because that day our theatre has $1 popcorn and sodas ... 

We cant wait for it to come to our little local movie house....The previews look fantastic.......

Join us on

Group Mod

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

thanks for posting Terica - something to look forward to doing with the kids.  Probably more so with dd than ds - ds prefers the likes of Transformers and GI Joe, LOL.

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Quoting bigmommasmomma:

Im not sure. People have talked SO MUCH nonsense about racism, why this is like this and not like that... I honestly don't even want to see the movie. I haven't even told my daughter about it. Maybe once all the nonsense surrounding it goes away and it comes on dvd I may get it for her.

I dont get the whole "racist" thing....It is a darn movie for petes sake...Why do people always have to make a mess out of simple things?  I bet your DD will like it.... most of the movie the princess is a cute little frog....

Join us on

Group Mod

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

because they can, lol

Quoting tericared:

Quoting bigmommasmomma:

I dont get the whole "racist" thing....It is a darn movie for petes sake...Why do people always have to make a mess out of simple things?  I bet your DD will like it.... most of the movie the princess is a cute little frog....

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Quoting eaglemama2:

thanks for posting Terica - something to look forward to doing with the kids.  Probably more so with dd than ds - ds prefers the likes of Transformers and GI Joe, LOL.

I am so glad I have girls.....

Join us on

Group Mod

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM

LOL

Quoting tericared:

Quoting eaglemama2:

I am so glad I have girls.....

vlester
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:51 AM

It was a good movie it has a GREAT message for adults as well as kids who were old enough to understand it

aidans_mama
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Quoting vlester:

It was a good movie it has a GREAT message for adults as well as kids who were old enough to understand it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)