Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Before the burning of Michael Brewer, a handshake

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

The way Matthew Bent saw it, Michael Brewer owed him $40 for a video game, and Brewer had just agreed he would pay up. They shook hands. Brewer, who had stayed home from school out of fear of what would happen if he ran into Bent, started to walk away.

But before he got far, he heard Bent's voice again. "Wait, wait, wait. Come back here," Bent said, according to an eyewitness account. Then Bent looked at his friend Denver Jarvis, who held a container of rubbing alcohol. "Pour it on him," Bent said, the same witness told detectives.

Bent was still angry at Brewer over an incident the day before, the witnesses told detectives. During that incident, Bent tried to collect his $40 at Brewer's house. "If you don't give me my money, bad things are gonna happen," he said, according to a summary of one of the teens' accounts.

Previously unreleased details about the fiery attack on Brewer, 15, are contained in police summaries of three witness accounts that prosecutors sent to defense lawyers in the Deerfield Beach burning case. The Sun Sentinel reviewed some of those documents last week.

They show that Brewer was first surrounded by nine teenagers in the parking lot at the Lime Tree Village apartment complex on Oct. 12, but that setting Brewer on fire was not discussed among them before it happened. Brewer, who suffered second- and third-degree burns over two-thirds of his body, has spent the past two months recovering at Jackson Memorial Hospital's Burn Center in Miami.

The Sun Sentinel did not review a statement given to detectives by the victim or by Jesus Mendez, 16, who is accused of setting the fire moments after Jarvis, 15, allegedly poured the alcohol on Brewer. Mendez, Jarvis and Bent, 15, have all been charged as adults with second-degree attempted murder.

Bent was still fuming about his arrest, demanding to know whether any of his other friends "snitched" about the bicycle, the witnesses told detectives.

Then they spotted Brewer.

"Why'd you get me locked up, man?" Bent said, one of the witnesses told detectives. Brewer, according to one account, convinced Bent that he tried to talk his family out of calling 911, and the confrontation was over. But when Brewer jumped a fence into Lime Tree, the others followed him. Bent circled on his bike to cut Brewer off near the southern entrance, about 100 yards from the pool.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/deerfield/fl-brewer-discovery-20091213,0,4592292.story

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grammie6
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM

The mother and brother of that Jarvis kid were on the Today show this morning...She kept saying there's two sides to every story....WTH???? I don't care what this boy did to these kids, no one deserves what happened to him.  What was this woman's kid doing with a bottle of rubbing alcohol if nothing had been planned or discussed in advance??? If my kid had done something like this there is no in hell I would go on national TV and try to defend him.  Stand by his side as his mother yes, but I would accept whatever punishment is handed down...It's the price you pay for not paying attention to who your kids "hang" with.

coast guardGrammie6

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM

absolutely - there is no excuse, none.

Quoting grammie6:

The mother and brother of that Jarvis kid were on the Today show this morning...She kept saying there's two sides to every story....WTH???? I don't care what this boy did to this kids, no one deserves what happened to him.  What was this woman's kid doing with a bottle of rubbing alcohol if nothing had been planned or discussed in advance??? If my kid had done something like this there is no in hell I would go on national TV and try to defend him.  Stand by his side as his mother yes, but I would accept whatever punishment is handed down...It's the price you pay for not paying attention to who your kids "hang" with.

margroc
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:21 PM

That's such a sad story.  I don't understand how human beings can be so cruel, where are they learning these things from? Does it come from their home? Does their family truly place no value on human life? Or do they learn it elsewhere?

A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate.  - Pierre E. Trudeau

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Yes it is cruel - makes you wonder where they learn it.  I had this discussion with a friend a few days ago who told me about how kids in general do really crazy stuff they see on tv.   Specifically on Jackass - how they emulate the stunts in the movie and think it's funny and cool.   Well a friend of this friend's teenage son jumped out of a moving car at 30 mph - he survived a severe head injury and is still recovering a year later.      He saw it in a movie and thought it would be fun, well he is singing a different tune now.

Quoting margroc:

That's such a sad story.  I don't understand how human beings can be so cruel, where are they learning these things from? Does it come from their home? Does their family truly place no value on human life? Or do they learn it elsewhere?

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I dont see how a Mother could defend her child surrounding another child and catching him on fire.....No wonder the kid is the way he is...... 

Join us on

Group Mod

bakebiscotti
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Honestly?  Based on some of the violent speak I hear on here, it's pretty apparent where this comes from.  Kids that hear violent talk or threats of brutality as normal conversation, I think, become somewhat desensitized.  And that may or may not be responsible, but I think we've become somewhat callous with our words in this country

Quoting margroc:

Need a Snow Day?

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Quoting bakebiscotti:

Honestly?  Based on some of the violent speak I hear on here, it's pretty apparent where this comes from.  Kids that hear violent talk or threats of brutality as normal conversation, I think, become somewhat desensitized.  And that may or may not be responsible, but I think we've become somewhat callous with our words in this country

Quoting margroc:

You know now that you bring it up, there have been some very cold hearted things typed here, and of course kids hear and learn from their parents......

Join us on

Group Mod

Mandipants
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Quoting margroc:

Well if it is true that the mother of the perpetrator is going on national television and defending her sons actions--then I would say that it definitely began at home...

GoodMomma24-7
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Quoting grammie6:

The mother and brother of that Jarvis kid were on the Today show this morning...She kept saying there's two sides to every story....WTH???? I don't care what this boy did to this kids, no one deserves what happened to him.  What was this woman's kid doing with a bottle of rubbing alcohol if nothing had been planned or discussed in advance??? If my kid had done something like this there is no in hell I would go on national TV and try to defend him.  Stand by his side as his mother yes, but I would accept whatever punishment is handed down...It's the price you pay for not paying attention to who your kids "hang" with.

Yes - Exactly.

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Quoting GoodMomma24-7:

Quoting grammie6:

Yes - Exactly.

Your Siggy is beautiful...........

Join us on

Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)