Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Millions of Missing Bush Emails Found

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM
  • 20 Replies

updated 12:21 p.m. PT, Mon., Dec . 14, 2009

WASHINGTON - Computer technicians have found 22 million missing White House e-mails from the administration of President George W. Bush, according to two groups that are settling lawsuits they filed over the failure by the Bush White House to install an electronic record keeping system.

The two groups made the announcement as they settled lawsuits that they filed against the Executive Office of the President in 2007.

But the public might not see any of the e-mails for quite some time because they will now go through the National Archives normal process for releasing presidential and agency records.

The tally of missing e-mails and the settlement are the latest development in a controversy surrounding the failure by the Bush White House to install a properly working electronic record keeping system.

The two private organizations — Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington and the National Security Archive — say there is not yet a final count on the extent of missing White House e-mail and there may never be a complete tally.

Meredith Fuchs, general counsel to the National Security Archive, said "many poor choices were made during the Bush administration and there was little concern about the availability of e-mail records despite the fact that they were contending with regular subpoenas for records and had a legal obligation to preserve their records."

"We may never discover the full story of what happened here," said Melanie Sloan, CREW's executive director. "It seems like they just didn't want the e-mails preserved."

Sloan said the latest count of misplaced e-mails "gives us confirmation that the Bush administration lied when they said no e-mails were missing."

The two groups say the 22 million White House e-mails were previously mislabeled and effectively lost.

The recovered e-mails — located over the past year by White House contractors — will now become part of the archived collection of papers at the National Archives and Records Administration.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34419592/ns/politics/

Thoughts?

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Della529
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM

"many poor choices were made during the Bush administration and there was little concern about the availability of e-mail records despite the fact that they were contending with regular subpoenas for records and had a legal obligation to preserve their records."

Now, why isn't this surprising? 

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM

"We may never discover the full story of what happened here," said Melanie Sloan, CREW's executive director. "It seems like they just didn't want the e-mails preserved."

Sloan said the latest count of misplaced e-mails "gives us confirmation that the Bush administration lied when they said no e-mails were missing."

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:44 PM

what, more secrets? LOL

Mandipants
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Quoting Della529:

"many poor choices were made during the Bush administration and there was little concern about the availability of e-mail records despite the fact that they were contending with regular subpoenas for records and had a legal obligation to preserve their records."

Now, why isn't this surprising? 

I'm sure it was innocent. They probably just didn't realize that it was federally mandated that the White House preserve its records. I mean it's just the Presidency, why should they have to follow laws?

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM

And the plot thickens........... 

Join us on

Group Mod

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:59 PM

bouncing

Quoting tericared:

And the plot thickens........... 

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM

wonder if any of the still missing have anything to do with 9/11? 

Join us on

Group Mod

Talee
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM

This isn't a surprise to me...I think maybe from now on this kind of crap will happen with EVERY president of the good ole United States.

Join us on

Group Mod

diospira
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Quoting tericared:

wonder if any of the still missing have anything to do with 9/11? 

Good question.

There must be some reason they "went missing."

tinybubblez
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM

i am the only one worried about the security of our country? hacked emails, WH dinner crashers, joy-riding on AF1...the list goes on and on.

why the focus on a man who is no longer president?i don't think it's a coincidence.i think it's a distraction.

has anyone seen the info coming out about the safe school czar, jennings?  i'm going to make a prediction that he pulls a van jones and resigns over the Christmas holiday break.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-Stephen Hawking 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)