• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Arizona given green light on medical marijuana by feds

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2009/10/30/20091030meyers31.html

Sorry the page wont let me copy and paste...grrr 

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
             Group Mod

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Earlier this month, the U.S. Department of Justice issued a formal directive to U.S. attorneys instructing them not to prosecute medical-marijuana patients and providers who are acting in accordance with their state law.

This decision is a major victory for science, reason and compassion, and it will have a profound and positive impact on the lives of many thousands suffering from serious and terminal illness.

Join us on

Group Mod

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Quoting tericared:

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Earlier this month, the U.S. Department of Justice issued a formal directive to U.S. attorneys instructing them not to prosecute medical-marijuana patients and providers who are acting in accordance with their state law.

This decision is a major victory for science, reason and compassion, and it will have a profound and positive impact on the lives of many thousands suffering from serious and terminal illness.

So, if I am reading that correctly that would cover all states?

Join us on

Group Mod

Talee
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Quoting tericared:

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I am just really surprised though...this state is so ass backwards,....I am surprised there are providers here at all!

Join us on

Group Mod

Talee
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting tericared:

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

So, if I am reading that correctly that would cover all states?

You would think so...this article was under the "Opinions" column too...dunno why.

Join us on

Group Mod

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM

way to gothat is good!   It would be better if it were legalized, for everyone.

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Quoting eaglemama2:

step by step....

Join us on

Group Mod

Talee
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting eaglemama2:

step by step....

I agree...in this state it can be a FELONY for any amount....it's absolutely ridiculous when you step away from all the preconceived ideas which have been shoveled down your throat....take a nice step back and...

It's a plant. It's not processed (like poppies for heroine), normally it isn't laced (why would anyone do that) and to me it's a helluva lot better than alcohol or cigarettes or prescription drugs.

"Conflict continues

Romley sympathizes with those who suffer. But he worries that some patients or doctors would misuse the law, especially given a provision in the initiative that would allow patients to obtain the drug if they displayed symptoms such as severe pain or seizures. What constitutes severe pain would be a matter for a doctor's judgment.

State Sen. Jonathan Paton, R-Tucson, has similar concerns. But he's conflicted on the issue of medical marijuana. Although he worries "this is just the gateway to legalizing marijuana," Paton also has seen the drug used with medical benefits.

Before dying of cancer a couple of years ago, a friend of Paton's used marijuana to ease the suffering.

"He smoked pot because he was too sick," said Paton, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "He couldn't keep the (pain) pills down."

If marijuana is a legitimate medical treatment, Romley said, backers should seek its legalization through the health community and federal government, not at the ballot box.

"I just don't believe we decide what's good medicine at the ballot box," he said. "The vast bulk of the medical community has never pushed it to be a drug legalized for medicinal purposes."

Myers countered that federal drug laws continue to make medical research involving marijuana difficult. "

This was from the other article I posted...notice the common sense and complete idioticy between the two.

Join us on

Group Mod

tericared
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Myers countered that federal drug laws continue to make medical research involving marijuana difficult. "

Yet they can push drugs through that kill people?

Join us on

Group Mod

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:57 PM

and I completely agree, it's a plant for crying out loud, lol. Uhhhhhhh evil plant..........ridiculous really as aside for only what I can imagine to be some sort of ridiculous morality reason, is not detremental to society, a lot like civil rights for gays.......I would like one person to enlighten me and prove that pot is more dangerous than alcohol.

Quoting Talee:

Quoting tericared:

Quoting eaglemama2:

step by step....

I agree...in this state it can be a FELONY for any amount....it's absolutely ridiculous when you step away from all the preconceived ideas which have been shoveled down your throat....take a nice step back and...

It's a plant. It's not processed (like poppies for heroine), normally it isn't laced (why would anyone do that) and to me it's a helluva lot better than alcohol or cigarettes or prescription drugs.

"Conflict continues

Romley sympathizes with those who suffer. But he worries that some patients or doctors would misuse the law, especially given a provision in the initiative that would allow patients to obtain the drug if they displayed symptoms such as severe pain or seizures. What constitutes severe pain would be a matter for a doctor's judgment.

State Sen. Jonathan Paton, R-Tucson, has similar concerns. But he's conflicted on the issue of medical marijuana. Although he worries "this is just the gateway to legalizing marijuana," Paton also has seen the drug used with medical benefits.

Before dying of cancer a couple of years ago, a friend of Paton's used marijuana to ease the suffering.

"He smoked pot because he was too sick," said Paton, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "He couldn't keep the (pain) pills down."

If marijuana is a legitimate medical treatment, Romley said, backers should seek its legalization through the health community and federal government, not at the ballot box.

"I just don't believe we decide what's good medicine at the ballot box," he said. "The vast bulk of the medical community has never pushed it to be a drug legalized for medicinal purposes."

This was from the other article I posted...notice the common sense and complete idioticy between the two.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I got an email about this from MPP a couple of months ago, sent it on to my aunt and uncle in Prescott to keep an eye out for petitions.

I know McBush is against it but hopefully the states other reps will support this. MJ posession as a felony is just ridiculous.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)