Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (1/3): Should the US fund the anti-terror police unit in Yemen?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

US and UK to fund anti-terror police unit in Yemen

UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown and US President Barack Obama in March 2009
The leaders have agreed to intensify US-UK work in Yemen and Somalia

The US and the UK will jointly fund a counter-terrorism police unit in Yemen following the alleged failed bomb airline attack over Detroit.

Downing Street and the White House said they would also "intensify" efforts to tackle the emerging threat in Somalia.

It is widely believed the alleged Christmas Day bomber, Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, was armed and trained by Yemen-based al-Qaeda.

The US' top Middle East general has also met with the president of Yemen.

Gen David Petraeus - who is responsible for US Middle East and Central Asian operations - reportedly said the US was keen to support Yemen's fight against al-Qaeda.

On Saturday, Mr Obama for the first time publicly accused an offshoot of al-Qaeda, based in Yemen, over the alleged plot.

Read More Here

Can we afford to do this?

Does it matter if we can afford to do this, it has to be done?

What are your thoughts?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tericared
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM

We already do this....

In Washington, however, a senior administration official said he's unaware of any new joint effort that is ready to be announced. The official, speaking on the condition of anonymity in order to discuss sensitive matters, said American and British forces currently provide the Yemeni police counterterrorism assistance.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100103/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_yemen;_ylt=AnarnqVkOz6i_nXsDXF1jAZv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTM1YXF2bGQ0BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMTAzL2V1X2JyaXRhaW5feWVtZW4EY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwMyBHBvcwMyBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDYnJpdGFpbnVzdG9m

lizzybugsmomma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Shoud we fund anti-terror police.. no way. What a waste of tax payer money. If Yemen and these other middle eastern countries really were concerned about terrorist in their countries they would be actually doing something.  They will just take our money and we will get nothing in return. 

I would be in favor of providing the anti terror units and getting these camps ourselves or using drones to bomb the known areas where these terrorist are.

As a side note, do you know what I find funny? That CafeMom would ask that question in this group.  Have they not looked at the photo gallery or seen all the Arab biased posts and replies..  5 right now on the front page right now of this group alone.

I know I am going to get yelled at for that, but I was just making an observation.

JoshiRachelsMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM

NO. 

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM

You really have not paid attention to what that is about have you? It seems you are insinuating that they would protect terrorist. This attitude is why you see so many of those posts.

Quoting lizzybugsmomma:

Shoud we fund anti-terror police.. no way. What a waste of tax payer money. If Yemen and these other middle eastern countries really were concerned about terrorist in their countries they would be actually doing something.  They will just take our money and we will get nothing in return. 

I would be in favor of providing the anti terror units and getting these camps ourselves or using drones to bomb the known areas where these terrorist are.

As a side note, do you know what I find funny? That CafeMom would ask that question in this group.  Have they not looked at the photo gallery or seen all the Arab biased posts and replies..  5 right now on the front page right now of this group alone.

I know I am going to get yelled at for that, but I was just making an observation.

lizzybugsmomma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Are you going to give your opinion on the topic or just bash?

I have, by the way, paid attention.  Yes these countries support and harbor terrorists.  Do you pay attention.  There are now terrorist training camps in Yemen.  How did they get there?  What is Yemen doing to stop them?  Their government, like may middle eastern governments, just seems to ignore the fact they are harboring terrorists, and act like it isn't their problem. I do not support just giving them money if they aren't going to do anything effective to stop terrorism.

Do you have an opinion, or just criticism?

Quoting stormcris:

You really have not paid attention to what that is about have you? It seems you are insinuating that they would protect terrorist. This attitude is why you see so many of those posts.

Quoting lizzybugsmomma:

tericared
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Quoting lizzybugsmomma:

I have, by the way, paid attention.  Yes these countries support and harbor terrorists.  Do you pay attention.  There are now terrorist training camps in Yemen.  How did they get there?  What is Yemen doing to stop them?  Their government, like may middle eastern governments, just seems to ignore the fact they are harboring terrorists, and act like it isn't their problem. I do not support just giving them money if they aren't going to do anything effective to stop terrorism.

There have been terrorist in Yemen for a while now and we have been helping in Yemen for a while now...Go to the link in my reply above and you will see,,,this is not something that just started a month ago....

lizzybugsmomma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Yes it did the read the article you provided the link to. 

Quote:

In Washington, a senior administration officialsaid American and British forces already provide the Yemeni police counterterrorism assistance, and that he's unaware of any new joint effort that is ready to be announced. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to discuss sensitive matters.

Asked to clarify, the U.K. government spokeswoman said the initiatives in Yemen are part of ongoing work between the U.K. and the U.S and that the cost of the counterterrorism police unit will be met by existing funding commitments to Yemen.

The spokeswoman said Britain is forecast to give more than 100 million pounds ($161 million) to Yemen in 2011.

It goes to my point of we are already giving them money for anti terrorism.  I don't think giving them money is the answer.  I think sending in our own counter terrorism personal would be much better and would be more likely to get the job done. 

It also goes to the point of we have funded the Yemeni's but yet there are still terrorist training camps and terrorist activity.  So what exactly are they doing and where exactly are the funds from the US and Britain going? I think if the Yemen government was going to do something to stop terrorism in their country, they would have already.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:52 PM

We are already paying for it what is the point in discussing it. We are in Yemen bombing and raiding. It doesn't matter what their government does or does not do we are there to bomb the terrorists and if next week our president wants to go to war in Russia we will do that. We were there even before what happen on Christmas and we were bombing then.

And seriously you call that bashing look up the definition and then reflect on what you said to start with.

Quoting lizzybugsmomma:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting lizzybugsmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)