Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calif. pastor takes in $2.4M after donations plea

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM
  • 28 Replies

via Yahoo!

Quote:

LAKE FOREST, Calif. – Evangelical pastor Rick Warren's plea for donations to fill a $900,000 deficit at his Southern California megachurch brought in $2.4 million, Warren announced to cheers during a sermon at the church on Saturday.

Warren said the amount raised after the appeal was posted online Wednesday included only money parishioners brought in person to Saddleback Church by New Year's Eve. More was arriving by hand and by mail, he said.

"This is pretty amazing," Warren told his congregation. "I don't think any church has gotten a cash offering like that off a letter."

The pastor said he planned to talk further about the response in a Sunday sermon called "The Miracle."

"We're starting the new decade with a surplus," he said. "It came from thousands of ordinary people. This was not one big fat cat."

The posting on Warren's Web site read: "With 10 percent of our church family out of work due to the recession, our expenses in caring for our community in 2009 rose dramatically while our income stagnated."

Warren said the church had largely managed to stay within its budget during the year, but "the bottom dropped out" when Christmas donations were down.

The letter cited the church's accomplishments in 2009 and detailed how the donations would be used, including the church's food pantry, homeless ministry, counseling and support groups.

Warren is the author of numerous books, including the best-selling "The Purpose Driven Life." He was named the top newsmaker of the year for 2009 by the Religion Newswriters Association, gaining attention with his invocation at the inauguration of President Barack Obama and comments in the aftermath of California's Proposition 8, which overturned gay marriage.

He founded Saddleback Church in 1980 in Lake Forest, about 65 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

___

Information from: The Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM

He should take that surplus and donate it to gay causes! lol... 

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I'm leery of megachurches. I always wonder how much goes to the community and how much goes in his pocket. I have never seen a pastor of one of these churches live humbly.

Can't wait for Feb. 2 either!

"You won, alright? You came in and you killed them and you took their land. That's what conquering nations do. That's what Ceasar did. He's not going around saying 'I came, I conquered, I felt really bad about it'. The history of the world is not about making friends. You had better weapons and you massacred them. End of story."  Spike

Mergath
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Exactly.  From what I've seen, the pastor generally gets far more than the community does.  It's sickening.  So much for living like Jesus.

Quoting rotPferd:

I'm leery of megachurches. I always wonder how much goes to the community and how much goes in his pocket. I have never seen a pastor of one of these churches live humbly.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

tericared
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Quoting rotPferd:

Many years ago I was a member of a mega-church in Dallas Tx....And I have to agree.......While a great number of the members were having a hard time making it, the pastor and his family lived like royality...

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

katy_kay
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Sounds like he took a page out of Oral Roberts book. 

Dr_Bitch
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I think that all churches should have to legally disclose how every cent is spent.

tericared
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Quoting Dr_Bitch:

I think that all churches should have to legally disclose how every cent is spent.

I so agree.....

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I can't speak for this man's church as I am not a member of it, but I used to do the books for MY church when we lived in AL. The pastor NEVER knew or even ASKED about the finances of the church unless someone had brought up something that would cost, then he asked me and other church members IF we could afford it. He had a SET salary determined BY the church membership --$600.00 per week. Yeah, real wealth maker. He RARELY got his full salary because things like rent, electricity, gas, printing costs and other needs came FIRST so that the church could keep running and provide for its members. He ALWAYS had to work outside of the church, but he was ALWAYS available, 24/7 to his members if they needed him.

I think SOME churches convey huge salaries to their pastors, but MOST are still decided BY the membership. The pastor RARELY handles the books himself. My friend's church in VA was pretty big, over 10,000 members, and they CHOSE to provide the pastor with a home that they paid to have built as a part OF that church position: i.e. it wasn't HIS house and when he retired or moved from that church, that HOUSE belonged to the church and the next pastor. It WAS a nice home and in a nice neighborhood, but the pastor did not OWN it.

I think people demand ALOT of the church and NEVER question WHERE or on what FUNDS that church is supposed to provide those services. Like I said, I found out just how LITTLE people actually give and generally the ones who rarely put money in the plate were the ones making the larger demands of it. They seemed totally CLUELESS to the fact that their own pastor was receiving little or no pay some weeks for his study and formulation of sermons and managing a staff to provide services for them.

I'm glad to see that Pastor Warren's church members remember that they are actually expected to give 10% BACK to God, via the church etc. This is the case SINCE the old testament and onward. When people think the church is greedy, selfish, or hording they can question their leadership on those things. MOST churches have at least quarterly meetings ON the 'business' of the church. But so many people just EXPECT the provision and rationalize why THEY can't give their 10%...usually because they've over extended themselves on credit etc...so they think that the church doesn't NEED their money as much as THEY do....yet they are right there DEMANDING the church do this or provide that. It's really sad.

I'm not saying that ALL churches are run above board or don't have issues of theft and abuse etc. But it's really sad to me to hear so much groaning in here by the SAME people who see the American citizens as 'selfish' or greedy in general. I think it boils down to just not considering what it takes to run such an organization.

P

2boys2love79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I think he's nauseating.  If I'm not mistaken he said they were short in the budget due to the economy and people in hard times not being able to donate as much.  Then he has the gall to go begging those same supposed poor people for money to stay afloat.  Sounds like some are being fleeced.

"Seems to me, I'm exactly where I dreamt I would be.  And the view from here is something to see..."

tericared
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Quoting 2boys2love79:

I think he's nauseating.  If I'm not mistaken he said they were short in the budget due to the economy and people in hard times not being able to donate as much.  Then he has the gall to go begging those same supposed poor people for money to stay afloat.  Sounds like some are being fleeced.

this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)