Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The sea lions have been found

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

Scientists in the US believe they may have solved the riddle of San Francisco's vanishing sea lions.

The Californian city's famous colony of sea lions all but disappeared over the past month, baffling experts.

But now large numbers of the animals have been spotted further north, off the coast of Oregon.

Scientists say the animals have probably migrated in search of food during the winter, although in unusually high numbers.

The sea lions of San Francisco are almost as famous as the city's cable cars or even the Golden Gate bridge, says the BBC's Peter Bowes in Los Angeles.

Twenty years ago, for no apparent reason, the smelly, noisy animals took up residence in the docks at Pier 39.

Their numbers grew rapidly to about 1,700 animals, and they became a popular tourist attraction.

But then most of them disappeared.

Initially, marine experts were baffled.

One outlandish suggestion was that they were fleeing the bay because of an imminent earthquake, our correspondent says.

But now the sighting of large numbers of sea lions off the coast of Oregon may have solved the mystery.

Scientists says it is normal for the animals to move north in search of food during the winter but it is extremely unusual for them to migrate in such huge numbers.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
katy_kay
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Survivor, have you ever been to San Francisco?  The sea lions are an amazing sight...incredibly stinky and loud but still amazing to see as they practically sink the docks they have claimed as their own. 

On our trip down the coast of Northern California we stopped in Santa Cruz.  There aren't as many there but they claim anything and everything as they climb aboard sailboats that are tied off in the harbor.   

tericared
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM

That is great news...I wonder if their food sourse has been over fished? I dont know if that wording is correct but I was watching a show about the Coast Guard last night and the area they were in has been over fished to the point that most cant make a living, that coupled with the strict restrictions fron the gov. [regulations put into effect becasue of over fishing] 

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Quoting katy_kay:

Survivor, have you ever been to San Francisco?  The sea lions are an amazing sight...incredibly stinky and loud but still amazing to see as they practically sink the docks they have claimed as their own. 

On our trip down the coast of Northern California we stopped in Santa Cruz.  There aren't as many there but they claim anything and everything as they climb aboard sailboats that are tied off in the harbor.   

Unfortunately I have been through San Francisco but never got off the highway.  I would LOVE to visit several west coast destinations as a tourist.  I have a trip all planned out for someday, It includes Carmel, The Golden Gate,The redwoods Yellowstone, Yosemite and the Yukon :)   Someday...

I would imagine it is stinky lol but I would love to see it, I would be concerned if it were my sailboat though!

(All those Ys, too funny!)

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Missmuffets
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I just saw the title and said to myself they probably found them in Oregon. LOL I really wonder how much money and time for them to figure this out. I could have just told them, here is your missing sea lions. lol. Everytime we go to the coast there has been more and more sea lions. lol

emilysmom1966
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Quoting katy_kay:

Luc and Emily my reason for breathing!'   About 35 and over with small children:This group is for Mommies wanting to make new friends with other People are asking me about the race problem.... I know of no race problem. The great problem that confronts the American people to-day is a national problem -- whether this great nation of ours is great enough to live up to its own convictions, carry out its own declaration of independence, and execute the provisions of its own constitution. (1893)Fredrick Douglass

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)