Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Cruelity?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:45 PM
  • 83 Replies

Georgia Couple Arrested For Tattooing Children

Posted: 2:37 pm EST January 3, 2010Updated: 3:23 pm EST January 3, 2010

Comment On This Story ››

CHATTOOGA COUNTY, Ga. -- A northwest Georgia couple is facing charges for tattooing six of their children.Police arrested Patty Marsh and her husband Jacob Edwards after authorities said they used a homemade device to tattoo their children.

SLIDESHOW: Parents Arrested For Tattooing Children

The children ranged between 10 and 17 years old.Police said five of the children got cross-like tattoos on their hands and a sixth child has a tattoo which reads "Mom and Dad" inked on his arm.Marsh said her children wanted tattoos and she didn't do anything wrong."I don't understand why this got blowed up so big. I love my children. We'd never do anything to harm our kids," said Marsh.Marsh and Edwards were both charged with child cruelty.They bonded out of jail.

Should they be charged with child cruelity? If this stands would it open the doorway for ear peircing to be child cruelity as well?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aldea
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Although I wouldn't do it to my kids, I don't believe this is Child Cruelity.  If the children really wanted it and the ages are what they are.  If a child was too much younger than 10, I would have a problem with it.  I see Mothers bringing their baby in to have ears pierced, I would'nt do that either, but it's not Child Cruelty.  IMO.

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM

I don't think I would go out and get the kids tatoos - well at least the permanent ones, lol.   They have fun with the wash away kind.   With that said, I did get my daughters ears pierced on her first birthday.   It's cute IMO - not so sure about tatoos.    When they are 16 and want one, we can discuss it then.   I will also let my kids drink at 16 - that is simply a European thing, lol.

tericared
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I think the parents are idiots... 

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

yes, I neglected to mention that, lol

Quoting tericared:

I think the parents are idiots... 

Biancas_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I think once they are in high school as long as the parents agree to each is own...I wouldn't let my kids do it...because I don't want them at 30 years old ask my why the heck I let them get a tattoo they regret.  But to each is own.  Under the high school age...it's not really child cruelty it's just stupid I don't see what guidelines in would fit in under "cruelty" unless the child did not want the tattoo and the parents made them get it...which is reported not the case here...

tericared
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Quoting Biancas_mommy:

I think once they are in high school as long as the parents agree to each is own...I wouldn't let my kids do it...because I don't want them at 30 years old ask my why the heck I let them get a tattoo they regret.  But to each is own.  Under the high school age...it's not really child cruelty it's just stupid I don't see what guidelines in would fit in under "cruelty" unless the child did not want the tattoo and the parents made them get it...which is reported not the case here...

I dont know if it is true or not but in another group a mom said that she knows this woman and some of the kids did not want the tattoo and that they used the same [needle] guitar string on everyone including the Mom who by the way is HIV pos...

Dr_Bitch
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM

The legal drinking age is 21.  That's an American thing.  What kind of a thing is it going to be when your 16 year old gets drunk at home and sneaks the keys to your car out of your purse and ends up wrapping your car around a telephone pole and killing himself and whoever else he has picked up to go and have FUN?

Quoting eaglemama2:

I don't think I would go out and get the kids tatoos - well at least the permanent ones, lol.   They have fun with the wash away kind.   With that said, I did get my daughters ears pierced on her first birthday.   It's cute IMO - not so sure about tatoos.    When they are 16 and want one, we can discuss it then.   I will also let my kids drink at 16 - that is simply a European thing, lol.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

A parent can give their child alcohol and it is legal in most states.

Quoting Dr_Bitch:

The legal drinking age is 21.  That's an American thing.  What kind of a thing is it going to be when your 16 year old gets drunk at home and sneaks the keys to your car out of your purse and ends up wrapping your car around a telephone pole and killing himself and whoever else he has picked up to go and have FUN?

Quoting eaglemama2:

tashntim
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM

The only way I would consider this cruel is if the parents held the children down and forced them to get tattooed. I got my first tattoo when I was 14!

CafeMom Tickers
tashntim
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Interesting, I did not know that!

Quoting stormcris:

A parent can give their child alcohol and it is legal in most states.

Quoting Dr_Bitch:

Quoting eaglemama2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)