Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (1/18): Are stay-at-home dads lazy?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:01 AM
  • 28 Replies

Are stay-at-home dads lazy in the eyes of God--or just in the eyes of preacher John Hagee?

Evangelist John Hagee preached an interesting interpretation of the Bible to his congregation, basically calling stay-at-home dads lazy and deserving of spending an eternity in hell. Hmm, some SAHDs might already feel like they're in purgatory (think of all those days with sick kids). 

Here's what he says:
"For others it's laziness, you're too lazy to work and support your children. I'm talking about men. You call yourself Mr. Mom, God calls you a bum. St. Paul says you are worse than an infidel. Let me look you right in the eye and tell you that hell is your future home if all you do is sit on your backside and let your wife support you in your life."

Does God really cares who puts food on the table?

What do you think about this preacher's statement?

Are stay-at-home dads inferior to stay-at-home moms? 

Are stay-at-home dads lazy?  Should dads be the "breadwinner" of families?

Would you be comfortable if your husband was the stay-at-home parent and you were the working parent?

Join us on these CafeMom Groups:
The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club    The Cafe
Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics          Advice for Moms    

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lbranta
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Are stay at home mom's lazy?  I don't think a real stay at home day is any more lazy then a stay at home mom and I don't think they are lazy either!  And Hagee saying things like that gives Christains a bad name (no im not Christain either) . 

Bernae
by Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:14 AM

1. I think he is so wrong and this is why I don't pay two seconds of attention to most preachers!

2. Inferior - NO WAY. Equal -Yes.

3. Lazy - No;  Different -Yes. Breadwinner? Does it really matter?

I say different, because we all have different parenting styles, no matter how close we are to our spouse.

In today's day and age does it really matter who's "bringing home the money" or "Putting food on the table'? After 10 years, my hubby and I have both had our share of ("breadwinner"/"stay at home"). We are now equal with it. It's not a competition, it's a way of life. Whoever is doing what, the support is equal. All that matters is our kids are very well taken care of. If God or anyone else doesn't agree with that....there's nothing I can do to change it.

CherylT71
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:28 AM

I think in this day and age if the father or the mother is able to be the stay at home parent. More power to them. As long as it is a desion made as a couple. Unfortunately to many children have to spend to much time in daycare. Because both parents need to work.  As for dads that stay home. Are they dead beats? My opinion is, If he keeps the house up, tends to the children,Runs the errands, and doesnt leave everything for  his wife to do on her days off. Then he is NOT a dead beat or a Bum...

katy_kay
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I think 'preachers' like Hagee and Robertson give the rest of us Christians a bad name.  I think it takes a lot of courage for a father to put his ego aside and stay home and care for children.  As for sahds being lazy, sure there are going to be lazy dads just as there are lazy moms. 

My husband has been home for short period of times and has left a job because our child needed someone home and I had just started a new career and needed the few weeks to get settled.  While I was sad and a bit jealous of the times he was home and I couldn't be I was more than comfortable with him being home.  He loves our children and his a great father. 

lisadonnyswife
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:22 AM

My husband is disabled and is out of work due to a cronic lung condition.  Lazy, not at all if it weren't for him helping me with our 7 children my house would never be clean and no one would ever eat, lol.  I guess it just depends on the dad.

nikki0522
by Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM

No, they are not lazy. I am good friends with a SAHD. He takes care of the kids, homeschools them and drives them all over for playdates and playgroups. He does work part time on the weekends to help suppliment his wifes income, but is home all week.

In our house, DH staying home wouldn't work for us. I would only make about a third of what he would. If I had a high paying job, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

partygal19dani
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:09 AM

This so called preacher of God is a jackass and has such idiotic ideas of stay at home parents!!!  I guess he thinks stay at home moms are equally as lazy?!!  What a fool.

izzybear0217
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:12 AM

My dh works nights and he does a lot around here during the day. If he was a SAHD he would do a lot more. If I could find a job that paid me more he would be happy to stay home but probably wouldn't. We would just work opposite shifts.

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Some women do actually make more then their husbands *gasp*!  As long as a family wants a parent home, with the children, what difference does it make if it's mom or dad?

GeorgiaMom84
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM

My husband was out of work for two months or longer. I worked two jobs to support us while he found another job. He was a better stay at home parent than I am. He cooked a lot more that I do and he actually kept up with all the chores. I still had to chemically clean because he didn't, but seriously? I would like to slap that guy! It doesn't matter who is home with the kids... as long as they are happy, fed, and clean!?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)