Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People keep asking why?????? This answers some questions

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:59 PM
  • 4 Replies

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – Troops, doctors and aid workers flowed into Haiti on Monday and officials said billions of dollars more will be needed following the quake that killed an estimated 200,000 people and left many still struggling to find a cup of water or a handful of food.

European nations pledged more than a half-billion dollars in emergency and long-term aid, on top of at least $100 million promised earlier by the U.S. The president of the neighboring Dominican Republic said it will cost far more to finally rebuild the country: $10 billion.

Help was still not reaching many victims of Tuesday's quake — choked back by transportation bottlenecks, bureaucratic confusion, fear of attacks on aid convoys, the collapse of local authority and the sheer scale of the need.

Looting spread to more parts of downtown Port-au-Prince as hundreds of young men and boys clambered up broken walls to break into shops and take whatever they can find. Especially prized was toothpaste, which people smear under their noses to fend off the stench of decaying bodies.

At a collapsed and burning shop in the market area, youths used broken bottles, machetes and razors to battle for bottles of rum and police fired shots to break up the crowd.

"I am drinking as much as I can. It gives courage," said Jean-Pierre Junior, wielding a broken wooden plank with nails to protect his bottle of rum.

Even so, the U.S. Army's on-the-ground commander, Lt. Gen. Ken Keen, said the city is seeing less violence than before the earthquake. "Is there gang violence? Yes. Was there gang violence before the earthquake? Absolutely."

U.S. officials say some 2,200 Marines were arriving to join 1,700 U.S. troops now on the ground and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced Monday he wants 1,500 more U.N. police and 2,000 more troops to join the existing 7,000 military peacekeepers and 2,100 international police in Haiti.

While aid workers tried to make their way into Haiti, many people tried to leave. Hundreds of U.S. citizens, or people claiming to be, waved IDs as they formed a long line outside the U.S. Embassy in hopes of arranging a flight out of the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti_earthquake;_ylt=Av33x4Wr99uA4f6ysRKOkn1H2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTM4cW01MW1vBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMTE4L2NiX2hhaXRpX2VhcnRocXVha2UEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwMxBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDbW9yZXRyb29wc2Fp

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM

This is all so insane. I just can't imagine being there, all that destruction. I imagine it must be like a war zone over there. It really makes you realize what you take for granted, like water. I was watching some footage of this last night and my son was getting into trouble trying to get my attention. Of course my eyes were glued to the TV and he decided to go into the kitchen and get into the fridge, and into the butter for some reason. I snapped on him, I suppose because I was feeling so many emotions. When I say snapped, I mean I raised my voice a bit higher than I normally would. Then I broke down bawling and hugged him probably too tight. He laughed at me and said, "Mama cry." I pray to God that I will never have to dig for him in a huge pile of rubble or fight with someone to get him water. I turned off the TV after that.

tericared
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Quoting mrs_khan07:

This is all so insane. I just can't imagine being there, all that destruction. I imagine it must be like a war zone over there. It really makes you realize what you take for granted, like water. I was watching some footage of this last night and my son was getting into trouble trying to get my attention. Of course my eyes were glued to the TV and he decided to go into the kitchen and get into the fridge, and into the butter for some reason. I snapped on him, I suppose because I was feeling so many emotions. When I say snapped, I mean I raised my voice a bit higher than I normally would. Then I broke down bawling and hugged him probably too tight. He laughed at me and said, "Mama cry." I pray to God that I will never have to dig for him in a huge pile of rubble or fight with someone to get him water. I turned off the TV after that.

I cant imagine how people there are feeling......

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Quoting mrs_khan07:

I think because of the "civilized" way we live we can't fathom having to do something like that.  If our house catches on fire, the fire trucks come.  If someone is breaking into our home, the police come.  If there is a major blizzard, the national guard may come.  If we build a Scientology temple, Tom Cruise will come.  We are so used to having a back-up plan at the ready that it hurts us all the more when we see utter devestation and desperation.  I can't imagine having the infrastructure suddenly gone.  I can't imagine every building destroyed.  I can't imagine sitting outside in rubble with my hungry dehydrated children while desperate people with machetes walked around us.

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting mrs_khan07:

I think because of the "civilized" way we live we can't fathom having to do something like that.  If our house catches on fire, the fire trucks come.  If someone is breaking into our home, the police come.  If there is a major blizzard, the national guard may come.  If we build a Scientology temple, Tom Cruise will come.  We are so used to having a back-up plan at the ready that it hurts us all the more when we see utter devestation and desperation.  I can't imagine having the infrastructure suddenly gone.  I can't imagine every building destroyed.  I can't imagine sitting outside in rubble with my hungry dehydrated children while desperate people with machetes walked around us.

So very, very true. Above, in red, made me crack up. Thanks for the comic relief.

Mrs. Khan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)