Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boo'd at the Pizza Parlor.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM
  • 15 Replies

Sen. Ben Nelson is facing major blowback in Nebraska over his decision not to block the health-care bill. Photo: AP

POLITICO 44

Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson and his wife were leaving dinner at a new pizza joint near their home in Omaha one night last week when a patron began complaining about Nelson's decisive vote in favor of the Senate's health care bill.

Other customers started booing. A woman yelled, "Get him the hell out of here!" And the Nelsons and their dining companions beat a hasty retreat.

"It was definitely a scene in there," said Tom Lewis, a 41-year-old dentist and registered Republican who witnessed the incident. A second witness confirmed the incident to POLITICO.

It's a new experience for Nelson.

Continued....

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31488.html

This was gleefully posted in another group by a Republican with a few others agreeing with her. It is just me or is this just more evidence of the decline in manners and the increase  in blind partisanship in this country?

My response to that thread is here;

Quote:

While I agree that Nelson sold out and I don't support the current health care bill this was completely poor taste on the behalf of the people at the pizza parlor. If you have a problem with your rep you call/write/email or go to his office you don't accost him in public.

I'm also confused by the Republican response here. It's ok to yell "you lie" at the Dem president while he is making a speech to Congress, it's awesome to practically chase a Dem out of a restaurant and it's cool for Cheney to tell a Congressman "Fuck off" on the floor of Congress BUT it's horrible for a guy to boo Bush 1 at a restaurant and Kerry was an awful immoral person for saying fuck in a Rolling Stone interview. It's patriotic to protest Obama but was traitorous to disagree with Bush.

The logic escapes me.

Thoughts?

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Malapertinent
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Regardless of what "side" anyone is on, with this Healthcare abusrdity, we need to start paying attention to the people.  They have a voice and it's growing.

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Yep. I for one am glad people are waking up enough to even RECOGNIZE a congress critter when they see one.

Quoting Malapertinent:

Regardless of what "side" anyone is on, with this Healthcare abusrdity, we need to start paying attention to the people.  They have a voice and it's growing.

cagnew80
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I understand why people are so angry. I am angry too. I am against this whole healthcare thing 100%. I am a conservative with no apologies.

That being said, I would not have boo'd the man out. I think he is a jelly-spined traitor, but I don't think it's right to behave that way. As for people being happy to hear this story, I hope it's only because it makes them feel a sense of hope- hope that people are as disgusted as they are, and hope that things will change.

Happytime
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Quoting mamadixon:

Yep. I for one am glad people are waking up enough to even RECOGNIZE a congress critter when they see one.

Quoting Malapertinent:

I guess its a sign of the times.. lol

ladiesnight
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I agree with you OP, both what you said here and your response to the other post. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I think he is a douche, but that is uncalled for - I would never wish that type of public animosity on anyone.  That would have scared my children if we had been in there.  If I were to run into Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter (the two people I most despise) I would be courteous.  Its like common decency has just disappeared in the past two years.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

I think he is a douche, but that is uncalled for - I would never wish that type of public animosity on anyone.  That would have scared my children if we had been in there.  If I were to run into Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter (the two people I most despise) I would be courteous.  Its like common decency has just disappeared in the past two years.

I agree.  But Ann yuck I wouldnt be able to finish my meal I am afraid.  We would quietly and respectfully leave.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting LauraKW:

I agree.  But Ann yuck I wouldnt be able to finish my meal I am afraid.  We would quietly and respectfully leave.

That is the second time I have ever typed her name and my fingers burn from it, but it was the best way to convey my point.

tericared
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM

That was rude, just like screaming at town hall meetings....

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Quoting tericared:

That was rude, just like screaming at town hall meetings....

It was rude and trashy. But if you're referring to the very few at recent town hall meetings, that type of conduct works all ways. Unfortunate, but true.  

• angel-1-1-1-2.jpg picture by kfpep
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)