Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents of Missing College Students DEMAND U.S. Intensify Search Efforts in Haiti

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM
  • 13 Replies

**With everything that is going on over there**UNREAL........**

The parents of four college students missing in Haiti called on the U.S. government to step up its rescue operations in the earthquake-ravaged country Monday, saying the failure to locate their children after nearly a week was "inconceivable."

"We're hoping today for a miracle," said Jean Gianacaci, whose daughter Christine is one of fourLynn University students still missing in the wake of the 7.0-magnitude quake that rocked the impoverished island nation on Tuesday.

"These kids were not on spring break," said Giannacaci — her voice breaking. "These kids were down with the poorest of poor, helping."

Four students and two faculty members from the South Florida college remain unaccounted for. They were among a group of 12 traveling with the charity Food For The Poor when the hotel at which they were staying in Port-au-Prince collapsed during the quake.

The university had previously announced that 11 of the 12 were safe and accounted for, but later retracted the report, saying it was based on "bad intelligence."

"It just seems inconceivable to me that we can't get the manpower there to make this happen," said Lin Crispinelli of Katonah, N.Y., whose daughter Stephanie is missing. "It's devastating. They're living a hell and so are we."

In a direct appeal to President Obama, Leonard Gengel of Rutland, Mass., said, "We want your help."

The missing students and faculty are: Stephanie Crispinelli of Katonah, N.Y.; Courtney Hayes of Boca Raton, Fla.; Britney Gengel of Rutland, Mass.; Christine Gianacaci, of Hopewell, N.J.; and Professors Patrick Hartwick and Richard Bruno.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluv2meow
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I think it is unfortunate for the parents I can certainly understand their irritability it is very hard to sit home miles and miles away wondering, praying, hoping and waiting day after day if your child is coming home... At the same time we got tons of people over there waiting to be rescued and bodies to be claimed... I really think we need a better refugee system this is nuts.

Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:00 PM

oh my goodness, I can't even begin to imagine being in their shoes :(

Randi02
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:04 PM

While my heart goes out to that family, there are hundreds of thousands of people affected by that quake and waiting to be rescued, for food etc., and I don't think those 4 students are any more important than anyone else. What more can be done?

The sad thing is that the bodies are decomposing so quickly in the heat, and people are just being buried. They may never find them.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one one the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Dixie_Darlin
by Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:13 PM

They may never know what happend to there children, so many bodies are just being thrown into mass unmarked graves. I say it on Fox News today, they are just pushing them in wholes with bull dozers, covering them over and noone knows who is where and from what country they are from. It's all so so sad. I cried when I watched the mass grave thing.

God Bless, Dion

canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I can't imagine what they're going through, but like someone else said, there are thousands and thousands of people missing and dead, thousands of families wondering about their loved ones.  There was a man from BC (Haitian born) I believe who had booked a flight to Haiti to look for some of his family.  He's seen footage of bodies being dumped into mass graves and was very upset that they weren't being given "proper" burials and even more upset at the idea that some of those bodies could be the remains of his loved ones.  I certainly understand why he'd feel that way, but to me, getting those bodies off the streets to keep down disease and keep those who've survived so far from getting sick takes priority over giving each and every person a funeral and their own burial.

Rescue workers are looking for survivors period, not American from this college or Canadian from this high school or any specific person, they are looking for anyone still alive, and that needs to be the priority, finding the survivors and making sure they remain survivors.  Plus with DNA technology they should be able to come back later and identify many of the people in the mass graves.

tericared
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Why is it that Americans always think they are better than eveeryone else, that they should always go first?   Yes it must be horrible for EVERY person wondering about a loved one...But we are no better than any one...

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Quoting JoshiRachelsMom:

The parents of four college students missing in Haiti called on the U.S. government to step up its rescue operations in the earthquake-ravaged country Monday, saying the failure to locate their children after nearly a week was "inconceivable."

"We're hoping today for a miracle," said Jean Gianacaci, whose daughter Christine is one of fourLynn University students still missing in the wake of the 7.0-magnitude quake that rocked the impoverished island nation on Tuesday.

"These kids were not on spring break," said Giannacaci — her voice breaking. "These kids were down with the poorest of poor, helping."

Four students and two faculty members from the South Florida college remain unaccounted for. They were among a group of 12 traveling with the charity Food For The Poor when the hotel at which they were staying in Port-au-Prince collapsed during the quake.

The university had previously announced that 11 of the 12 were safe and accounted for, but later retracted the report, saying it was based on "bad intelligence."

"It just seems inconceivable to me that we can't get the manpower there to make this happen," said Lin Crispinelli of Katonah, N.Y., whose daughter Stephanie is missing. "It's devastating. They're living a hell and so are we."

In a direct appeal to President Obama, Leonard Gengel of Rutland, Mass., said, "We want your help."

The missing students and faculty are: Stephanie Crispinelli of Katonah, N.Y.; Courtney Hayes of Boca Raton, Fla.; Britney Gengel of Rutland, Mass.; Christine Gianacaci, of Hopewell, N.J.; and Professors Patrick Hartwick and Richard Bruno.

Now this just pisses me off.  I can understand these families are hurting - no, I take that back, I could never truly understand their pain, but I know it must be hell.  I know they must be desperate and grasping at straws.  But they are implying that their loved ones are more important than the Haitians.  They want rescuers to stop their efforts to go and look for their family members because the kids were making a sacrifice just by being there in the first place.  Americans' sense of entitlement amazes me.

JoshiRachelsMom
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting JoshiRachelsMom:

Now this just pisses me off.  I can understand these families are hurting - no, I take that back, I could never truly understand their pain, but I know it must be hell.  I know they must be desperate and grasping at straws.  But they are implying that their loved ones are more important than the Haitians.  They want rescuers to stop their efforts to go and look for their family members because the kids were making a sacrifice just by being there in the first place.  Americans' sense of entitlement amazes me.

bow down

4-Him
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:49 PM

its all easy for you all to say while you are sittin at you computer and know exactly where your kids are  every parent thinks their kids are more important

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting JoshiRachelsMom:

nichole0509
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I feel so bad for the family who was told their daughter was alive and she hadn't even been found. It broke my heart to see the dad talking and to see how happy they were when they were told she was alive, but now she is still missing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)