Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you intimidated by black people?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:38 AM
  • 124 Replies

Just an observation I've had in a couple groups

.... if someone black posts a racial topic are you less likely to respond in fear of being called a racist and/or are you intimidated by what they will say?

Put differently, are you more comfortable answering a race-centered post written/posted by a white person? Like your voice is equal to theirs.

Secondly, have you been called a "racist" a lot and is that causing a problem with you communicating with black people or made you reluctant to open racial discussion?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JamieLeigh02
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:47 AM

I generally only respond to post that I can contribute something to.....it has nothing to do with someone's race. I have no fear of being called racist as I know the truth. If that's what someone else thinks of me, I don't care because I don't waste any of my time worrying about what anyone else thinks of me. Especially someone on the internet whom I have never met. Is this something that is going on with your posts or just an observation like you said?

forsythia_18
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:56 AM

I'm not intimidated but I do feel, in certain situations, that I have to walk on eggshells with certain people.  I get confused because the LAST thing I want to do is offend anybody--an example:  (and both have been in the presence of a lot of people) I have referred to someone as "African American" trying to be respectful and someone got mad at me and lectured me that he was NOT from Africa.  He was just American and that I needed to call him "black".  After that, I referred to someone as being "black" and I got lectured that that was disrespectful and that I needed to say "African American".

It's all really silly to me.  Race shouldn't be such a huge deal anymore. 

Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:58 AM

if someone black posts a racial topic are you less likely to respond in fear of being called a racist and/or are you intimidated by what they will say?

- no.. and no

Put differently, are you more comfortable answering a race-centered post written/posted by a white person? Like your voice is equal to theirs.

- no.. I'm not white so it doesn't make me a difference lol

Secondly, have you been called a "racist" a lot and is that causing a problem with you communicating with black people or made you reluctant to open racial discussion?

- I have never been called a racist (against black people)... I have had someone question what I was saying and therefore insinuating I was being a racist (against whites)

tericared
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Great post.... I have to say no....to all...

bakebiscotti
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Nope I'm not intimidated by much.  I don't think racist thoughts so I don't make racist posts. 

Well, super smart people do intimidate me sometimes.

Need a Snow Day?

JamieLeigh02
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:01 AM

I just responded on your post in the other group. Like I said there, I think it mostly has to do with the amount of drama in posts. The more drama, the more the response.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Not a bit!  Ya know, I have no comprehension of racism.  Why is it even an issue at all to anyone!?  Racism is just stupid.  It's just different skin colors!  Why do people have a problem with it!? Arg.  It's just stupid, ya know? 

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Quoting forsythia_18:

I'm not intimidated but I do feel, in certain situations, that I have to walk on eggshells with certain people.  I get confused because the LAST thing I want to do is offend anybody--an example:  (and both have been in the presence of a lot of people) I have referred to someone as "African American" trying to be respectful and someone got mad at me and lectured me that he was NOT from Africa.  He was just American and that I needed to call him "black".  After that, I referred to someone as being "black" and I got lectured that that was disrespectful and that I needed to say "African American".

It's all really silly to me.  Race shouldn't be such a huge deal anymore. 

Oh but it is .... sad but so very, very true.

And as for AA vs. black .... black folks have that HEATED discussion w/in
our community all of the time. He'd probably go off on someone black for the same thing, just to clue you in. It's not just b/c you're white.

For most people it doesn't matter. And sometimes it just depends on the generation, both have historical and political meanings.

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Not a bit!  Ya know, I have no comprehension of racism.  Why is it even an issue at all to anyone!?  Racism is just stupid.  It's just different skin colors!  Why do people have a problem with it!? Arg.  It's just stupid, ya know? 

I don't think anyone who is a racial minority could make that statement "no comprehension of racism" so as weird as racism is for you, your statement is kinda weird to me b/c it's been a part of my life and i've been prepared for it since I was about 4 years old.

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Quoting JamieLeigh02:

I just responded on your post in the other group. Like I said there, I think it mostly has to do with the amount of drama in posts. The more drama, the more the response.

I suck at making things dramatic. this was my failed attempt lol!

Maybe if I said All white people are scared of black people because they are inherently racist ... or something stupid like that ...lol! I don't know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)