Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 in 10 children hear voices

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM
  • 19 Replies

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100125/hl_nm/us_children_voices

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – Nearly 1 in 10 seven- to eight-year-olds hears voices that aren't really there, according to a new study.

But most children who hear voices don't find them troubling or disruptive to their thinking, the study team found. "These voices in general have a limited impact in daily life," Agna A. Bartels-Velthuis of University Medical Center Groningen in The Netherlands wrote in an email to Reuters Health.

And parents whose children hear voices should not be overly concerned, she added. "In most cases the voices will just disappear. I would advise them to reassure their child and to watch him or her closely."

Up to 16 percent of mentally healthy children and teens may hear voices, the researchers note in the British Journal of Psychiatry. While hearing voices can signal a heightened risk of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders in later life, they add, the "great majority" of young people who have these experiences never become mentally ill.

To further investigate how common these "auditory vocal hallucinations" are and whether they are associated with developmental and behavioral factors, the researchers looked at 3,870 Groningen primary schoolers. All were asked whether they had heard "one or more voices that only you and no one else could hear" in the past year.

Nine percent of the children answered yes. Only 15 percent of these children said the voices caused them serious suffering, and 19 percent said the voices interfered with their thinking. Boys and girls were equally likely to report hearing voices, but girls were more likely to report suffering and anxiety due to the voices.

While past studies have linked complications in the womb or during early infancy with the likelihood of hearing voices, Bartels-Velthuis and her team found no such relationship. The researcher said that she and her colleagues had expected that hearing voices would be more common among urban children than among their rural peers, "but to our surprise, the contrary was the case in our sample. We have no explanation for this finding."

Although urban children were less likely to hear voices, they were more troubled by them, the researchers found. They were more likely to report hearing several voices at once, voices speaking for a longer time, and voices that interfered with their thinking.

This greater severity suggests that the urban children who heard voices might be at higher risk of going on to develop psychotic illness, the researchers say.

Bartels-Velthuis and her team are now conducting a five-year follow-up study of the children to see how the voice-hearing plays out and what effect, if any, it has on behavior.

SOURCE: The British Journal of Psychiatry, January 2010.

Vincent 4-25-07, Dante 5-20-08

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Considering how few of them go on to have psychiatric issues it really makes you wonder where the voices are coming from. Im a firm believer in spirits and spiritual activity. I know that my older son kept staring across the room saying "hi" to empty air when he was younger.

hsteele
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Spirits or the Fey. As they get older they lose their belief in these things. Interesting.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Hasn't just about everyone thought they heard someone call their name or thought someone said something when they didn't?

partygal19dani
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Quoting Arroree:

Considering how few of them go on to have psychiatric issues it really makes you wonder where the voices are coming from. Im a firm believer in spirits and spiritual activity. I know that my older son kept staring across the room saying "hi" to empty air when he was younger.  THIS!!!  My god-daughter's mother thought the same thing about her when she was a little girl.  But she even described the visual of the spirit.  Weird stuff.  But I do believe in it too.  I don't know why some spirits make themselves known and others don't.  Also, why is it that more children than adults tend to experience this?!!  And children also outgrow seeing the spirits alot too.  Why is this?  It can be quite distressing to children if their parents don't believe them and just think it's an imaginary friend.  I find the whole topic intriguing though.   Question for you Arroree, "what makes you believe in this stuff?  Have you had any personal experience with spirits?"

lizzybugsmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I can't resist being a smart alec.. 

sure they hear voices.. its called an imagination..

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Quoting partygal19dani:

Quoting Arroree:

Considering how few of them go on to have psychiatric issues it really makes you wonder where the voices are coming from. Im a firm believer in spirits and spiritual activity. I know that my older son kept staring across the room saying "hi" to empty air when he was younger.  THIS!!!  My god-daughter's mother thought the same thing about her when she was a little girl.  But she even described the visual of the spirit.  Weird stuff.  But I do believe in it too.  I don't know why some spirits make themselves known and others don't.  Also, why is it that more children than adults tend to experience this?!!  And children also outgrow seeing the spirits alot too.  Why is this?  It can be quite distressing to children if their parents don't believe them and just think it's an imaginary friend.  I find the whole topic intriguing though.   Question for you Arroree, "what makes you believe in this stuff?  Have you had any personal experience with spirits?"

I had a distant cousin that was born severely mentally impaired and physically impaired as well. When i was 5 we went and visited her in the hospital *she lived there from the day she was born until she died* she was bout 10 at the time. I played with her and pushed her around in her chair while we were there. Ever since she died when i was 11 ive had spirit *problems* i guess it could be called.

Electronics would randomly turn on and off, i'd feel a hand on my arm or shoulder when nobody was around, my boss would see me in one area when i was in another, i even had someone on a city bus ask me how i got back on the bus 3 stops after they had just seen me get off *i hadnt been on that bus before* that sort of thing.  Strangely it doesnt happen as often now that i have kids, but my older son seems to see and hear someone that none of us do.

I figure my cousin just attatched herself to me and has been enjoying her freedom from all the problems she had in life.

Vincent 4-25-07, Dante 5-20-08

MADMomma1975
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM

The findings of this study do not suprise me.  My mom always told me that I used to talk to people that weren't there when I was little, and my son does it now.  My husband believes our house to be "haunted", and I really have no reason to doubt him given all the goings on (things not being where they were last placed, bunny thumping for no reason, feeling of being watched...). I am a believer that there is more than just this life that we live in our physical bodies, and when we're done here sometimes we're not totally ready to leave, ya know what I mean?

jkestler
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM

when i was a little girl we had a family friend and he past away when i was 7 and i been hearing "him" since the day he past away and my mom didnt let me go to his funeral i remember i was crying on my bed when i saw him and he said he was not gonna said good bye bcuz he was gonna be with me always and i been hearing his voice since that day

partygal19dani
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting partygal19dani:

Quoting Arroree:

I had a distant cousin that was born severely mentally impaired and physically impaired as well. When i was 5 we went and visited her in the hospital *she lived there from the day she was born until she died* she was bout 10 at the time. I played with her and pushed her around in her chair while we were there. Ever since she died when i was 11 ive had spirit *problems* i guess it could be called.  Wow, your poor cousin had such a shitty life!!!  I feel sorry for all that she went through and her parents too.  Sooo sad.

Electronics would randomly turn on and off, i'd feel a hand on my arm or shoulder when nobody was around, my boss would see me in one area when i was in another, i even had someone on a city bus ask me how i got back on the bus 3 stops after they had just seen me get off *i hadnt been on that bus before* that sort of thing.  Strangely it doesnt happen as often now that i have kids, but my older son seems to see and hear someone that none of us do.  That is FREAKY!!!!  OMG, were you freaked out?  Did you get chills down your spine?  lol  I know I would have.  That is pretty wild.

I figure my cousin just attatched herself to me and has been enjoying her freedom from all the problems she had in life.  It makes complete sense that it would be her!  Did you ever talk to anyone about this?

partygal19dani
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Quoting MADMomma1975:

The findings of this study do not suprise me.  My mom always told me that I used to talk to people that weren't there when I was little, and my son does it now.  My husband believes our house to be "haunted", and I really have no reason to doubt him given all the goings on (things not being where they were last placed, bunny thumping for no reason, feeling of being watched...). I am a believer that there is more than just this life that we live in our physical bodies, and when we're done here sometimes we're not totally ready to leave, ya know what I mean?  I have to say that I agree with you!!!  Although I am still not so sure about the extent of an afterlife.  It definitely gets you thinking though!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)