Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman struck by multiple vehicles on I-17 shuts down freeway

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM
  • 25 Replies

Woman struck by multiple vehicles on I-17 shuts down freeway

by Natalie Rivers

Posted on January 25, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Updated today at 1:37 PM

PHOENIX - A fatality on Interstate 17 has resulted in the freeway being shut down near the accident scene at Thomas Road.

Lt. Robert Lee Bailey said at about 10:15 a.m. the Department of Public Safety received a call of a person who fell out of their vehicle and on to the roadway.

According to DPS the woman was stuck by several vehicles and died on-scene.

The Associated Press is reporting the Phoenix woman had just lost custody of her children and apparently committed suicide by jumping out of the back seat of a crew-cab truck she was riding in with her mother and sister.

The woman has been identified as Brenda Suzanne Ownby, 36.

All traffic for northbound I-17 is being diverted onto the I-10 or McDowell Road.  East and Westbound I-10 ramps to northbound I-17 are also closed. 

DPS has no idea when the freeway will re-open as they continue to conduct their investigation.

This is very sad...I cannot imagine losing custody of my kids...but killing yourself is permanent...her children will NEVER have their MOTHER again!

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
             Group Mod

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

IMO suicide is a very sellfish act.   This pisses me off to no end.   It's not all about her, image the real wreck she left behind.    She was running away from her problems instead of facing them.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Sad and stupid. *sigh* I think the problem is that so many people just dont bother to think things through they just jump first, they dont want to take the time and effort to look at all angles and options first.

ladypyro
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM

thats sad, but i cant imagine seeing my son grow uo calling someone else mommy, i try my hardest to be a good mom.

pageantgirl3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

If I lost my children, my first thought will be, I can't live without them. I, however, would not act upon that but I could see it. My kids mean the world to me. It would be very hard to lose them.

SillyJessi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM

How do we know she wasn't pushed? 

Talee
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Quoting pageantgirl3:

If I lost my children, my first thought will be, I can't live without them. I, however, would not act upon that but I could see it. My kids mean the world to me. It would be very hard to lose them.

Me too, obviously she was not thinking things through when she did this...it is such a shame she couldn't have gotten help first before resorting to this.

In reality, she is their mother and nothing changes that, even custody....they will be adults someday and she won't be there at all.

I guess my point is, no matter what situation you find yourself in, your kids will always need you, don't give up.

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
             Group Mod

JoshiRachelsMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Stupid 

lizzybugsmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:17 PM

that is really really sad that she felt that was the answer.  her poor kids.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I wonder if she considered how her kids would feel :(  So sad:(

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

skisbufly1
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Not my place to judge someone.... It's an all around sad situation, I feel sorry for her and for her children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)