• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

schoolgirl sentenced to 90 lashes

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM
  • 77 Replies

Saudi schoolgirl sentenced to 90 lashes after assaulting headmistress

By Mohammed Jamjoom, CNN
January 23, 2010 6:48 a.m. EST
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • 13-year-old schoolgirl sentenced to 90 lashes for assaulting headmistress
  • Human rights group says the sentence is too severe, calling for appeal court hearing
  • Girl was reported to have hit woman over the head with glass after an argument over a cell phone
  • Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam called Wahhabism

(CNN) -- A schoolgirl in Saudi Arabia was sentenced to 90 lashes and two months in prison for assaulting her headmistress after a confrontation over a cell phone, sparking an outcry from a government-sponsored rights group.

Saudi Arabia's National Society for Human Rights said it is surprised by the verdict and called for the punishment be reconsidered, according to statement by the group.

The verdict was handed down by a court in the eastern province city of Jubail as a punishment for the 13-year-old who allegedly assaulted her headmistress.

Saudi daily newspaper, Al-Watan, which first reported the sentence, said the girl struck the headmistress on the head with a glass after a confrontation over the confiscation of the girl's camera-equipped cell phone.

Dr. Saleh Al-Khaslan, a spokesman for the rights group, said the penalty was too severe.

"The court should have looked for an alternative sentence," he said, adding that the rights group is calling on an appeals court in Jubail to hear the case again.

Al-Watan did not provide the name of the school, its headmistress or the girl. Efforts to reach the Saudi Ministry of Justice were unsuccessful.

Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam called Wahhabism, and lashings are a common form of punishment.

In October 2009, a court sentenced a man to five years in prison and 1,000 lashes after he bragged about his sex life on television.

In March of the same year, a Saudi court sentenced a 75-year-old Syrian woman to 40 lashes, four months imprisonment and deportation from the kingdom for having two unrelated men in her house.

In 2007, a 19-year-old gang-rape victim in the Saudi city of Qatif was sentenced to 200 lashes and six months in prison for meeting with an unrelated male. The seven attackers, who abducted the man and woman, got sentences ranging from 10 months to five years in prison. The case sparked international outrage, prompting Saudi's King Abdullah to pardon the girl and the unrelated male.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladypyro
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

thats bs!!! shes only a kid. glad i live in america.

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM

You know maybe if our schools could do this we wouldn't have such bad students. Yes, the parents are in control of how a child acts but like my DD9 she still throws fits and I've raised her right she just acts like a brat.

lizzybugsmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Stories like this makes me happy to be American.. It also really makes me appreciate the seperation of church and state. I would hate to live under Islamic law.

ladypyro
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM

so if your kids acting like a brat you should lash her/ him 90xs?? here thats considerd assult and can physically and emotionally scar them for life. personally i think spankings better, as a last resort. but everyone has their own thing on spanking also.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

You know maybe if our schools could do this we wouldn't have such bad students. Yes, the parents are in control of how a child acts but like my DD9 she still throws fits and I've raised her right she just acts like a brat.

***down ass clown till im dead in the ground***
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM

When I was a young girl my family was talking about moving to Saudi Arabia and I was terrified of it truthfully.  I was already aware of womens rights and was appalled at what goes on there.  The punishments just dont fit the crime in my opinion. 

Once again I hope I live to see the day when human rights are respected.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

USMCBride08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

So....ln essence, they are trying to pardon her for hitting another person on the head with a glass over a confrontation?

If the girl can dish it out, she needs to be able to take it 

I      <3         Them!

texanmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Okay, that is just crazy crap! Let us deport granny for having visitors, and a rape victim get beaten because some gang of men wanted to abuse her as well...makes perfect sense to me...*rolls eyes and has severe sarcastic tone!*

tericared
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Their country thier laws.. I do not agree with most of them...But   I tell you what if a kid here busted a class over their teacher's head I would hope they would be charged with assult and so some time in Juvie...

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Quoting lizzybugsmomma:

Stories like this makes me happy to be American.. It also really makes me appreciate the seperation of church and state. I would hate to live under Islamic law.

Saudi Arabia is not the poster child for Islamic law by the way. They are slightly extreme. But you're right, I would never want to live in a country that helps it's homeless and poor, makes sure a woman still gets financial support in the case of her and her husband divorcing, and overall has a great sense of brotherhood and family. Oh, wait, isn't that kind of like how it is here, minus the brotherhood? Oh, and if you've ever been divorced or been a child of divorce and tried to get child support without a lawyer, you'd also realize that this country doesn't care much about that either. And as we saw in another post, we Americans don't like helping the needy. See my point? Good and bad in every country.

Mrs. Khan

lizzybugsmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Quoting mrs_khan07:

Quote:

But you're right, I would never want to live in a country that helps it's homeless and poor, makes sure a woman still gets financial support in the case of her and her husband divorcing, and overall has a great sense of brotherhood and family. Oh, wait, isn't that kind of like how it is here, minus the brotherhood? Oh, and if you've ever been divorced or been a child of divorce and tried to get child support without a lawyer, you'd also realize that this country doesn't care much about that either. And as we saw in another post, we Americans don't like helping the needy. See my point? Good and bad in every country.

What??  We do alot to help the poor.. PA, ever heard of it??  Women do get support after divorce, its called allimony.. ever heard of it??  You can get child support without a lawyer.. I got a divorce without a lawyer and my children get child support..  I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Americans are VERY generous..  Billions has been given to Haiti by Americans.  I think the discussion in the other group was about how so much attention can be given to Haiti when we have homeless here who could use the support..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)