Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GOP fundraising letter looks like census form

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

I know, a lot of people don't like MSNBC as a news source. I was just curious if anyone else got one of these in the mail. At first DH thought it was the census and he was a little upset when he started reading it and found it what it really was.

DENVER - The Republican Party is seeking input and money from GOP voters — seemingly under the guise of the U.S. Census Bureau.

"Strengthening our Party for the 2010 elections is going to take a massive grass-roots effort all across America. That is why I have authorized a Census to be conducted of every Congressional District in the country," GOP Chairman Michael Steele says in a letter mailed nationwide.

The letter was sent in plain white envelopes marked "Do Not Destroy, Official Document." Labeled "2010 Congressional District Census," the letter uses a capital "C," the same as the Census Bureau. It also includes a "Census Tracking Code."

The letter makes a plea for money and accompanies a form asking voters to identify their political leanings and issues important to them. There are no disclaimers that participation in the GOP effort is voluntary; participation in the government census is required by law. Failure to participate carries a $5,000 fine, though it is rarely enforced.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35067802/ns/politics-more_politics/

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hsteele
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Thats messed up. I have never gotten a census form, by the way.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Quoting hsteele:

Thats messed up. I have never gotten a census form, by the way.

Really. They'll start coming out soon. DH and I always fill them out. Well, the two we've gotten so far. I wonder if the fake form was just sent to people on Republican mailing lists or Democrats too. I'm in Ohio so we get a lot of mailers and my DH is a registered member of the NRA so most tend to be from Republicans.

bakebiscotti
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Sneaks...hate 'em

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM

That's messed up, deceptive.   I don't think I ever got a census letter, even so, I would not complete one anyways.

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I clicked on the link and there is no example of this "letter". Knowing how MSNBC likes rant and rave about the GOP, I'll take this tidbit with a 1/2 grain of salt.

As a side note OP, I am in no way, shape, or form intending to insult you or your Dh's intelligence. 

"Oh come on! Am I talking to myself here? I say they're vegetarian. You say GRR. I say can we talk about this? You say GRR. I don't call that communication." GRRR! "See, that's your answer to everything." --- Sid

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Quoting rotPferd:

I clicked on the link and there is no example of this "letter". Knowing how MSNBC likes rant and rave about the GOP, I'll take this tidbit with a 1/2 grain of salt.

As a side note OP, I am in no way, shape, or form intending to insult you or your Dh's intelligence. 

Here is a copy of a picture of it. It's actually 4 pages long but made up of one big folded piece of paper if that makes any sense. It is pretty obvious after looking at it that's it's not actually the census. I found my copy if you need pictures of it later on.

tericared
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM

DENVER – The Republican Party is seeking input and money from GOP voters — seemingly under the guise of the U.S. Census Bureau.

"Strengthening our Party for the 2010 elections is going to take a massive grass-roots effort all across America. That is why I have authorized a Census to be conducted of every Congressional District in the country," GOP Chairman Michael Steele says in a letter mailed nationwide.

The letter was sent in plain white envelopes marked "Do Not Destroy, Official Document." Labeled "2010 Congressional District Census," the letter uses a capital "C," the same as the Census Bureau. It also includes a "Census Tracking Code."

The letter makes a plea for money and accompanies a form asking voters to identify their political leanings and issues important to them. There are no disclaimers that participation in the GOP effort is voluntary; participation in the government census is required by law. Failure to participate carries a $5,000 fine, though it is rarely enforced.

Sara Sendek, a Republican National Committee spokeswoman, said the letter was not an attempt to mislead voters.

"The document clearly indicates that it is an RNC mailer. The purpose of this document is to gather Republican opinion from across the country and raise a little money," Sendek said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100125/ap_on_el_ge/us_gop_census

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)