Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama to seek freeze on part of budget

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

AP sources: Obama to seek freeze on part of budget

By BEN FELLER and ANDREW TAYLOR, AP

WASHINGTON — Facing voter anger over mounting budget deficits, President Barack Obama will ask Congress to freeze spending for some domestic programs for three years beginning in 2011, administration officials said Monday. Separately, Obama unveiled plans to help a middle class "under assault" pay its bills, save for retirement and care for kids and aging parents.

The spending freeze would apply to a relatively small portion of the federal budget, affecting a $477 billion pot of money available for domestic agencies whose budgets are approved by Congress each year. Some of those agencies could get increases, others would have to face cuts; such programs got an almost 10 percent increase this year. The federal budget total was $3.5 trillion.

The three-year plan will be part of the budget Obama will submit Feb. 1, senior administration officials said, commenting on condition of anonymity to reveal private details. They said Obama was expected to propose the freeze Wednesday night in his State of the Union address.

The Pentagon, veterans programs, foreign aid and the Homeland Security Department would be exempt from the freeze.

The savings would be small at first, perhaps $10 billion to $15 billion, one official said. But over the coming decade, savings would add up to $250 billion.

the whole story: http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100125/US.Obama.Jobs/

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:38 PM

small savings of 10 billion -15 billion?? geesh, can I get that lol

hmm this is interesting

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM

My thought on this...

If you have programs that could be cut back even temporarily, why have you not already done so?You are wasting tax payer money to begin with.

Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Have you ever had your mind set on something .. just persistent about something and kinda forgot about everything else? Like for example... I had my mind set today that I had to wash all the clothes ... but I totally ignored the dishes that were piling up.. granted.. it's not the same if it's with Tax payer dollars.. but I can see how it happened.. I also know that A LOT of people wanted this healtchare bill thing to pass without knowing its complexity... He THOUGHT he knew what the people wanted but he had no idea... I guess... my say, better late than never...

Quoting mamadixon:

My thought on this...

If you have programs that could be cut back even temporarily, why have you not already done so?You are wasting tax payer money to begin with.

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Quoting Joqui:

Have you ever had your mind set on something .. just persistent about something and kinda forgot about everything else? Like for example... I had my mind set today that I had to wash all the clothes ... but I totally ignored the dishes that were piling up.. granted.. it's not the same if it's with Tax payer dollars.. but I can see how it happened.. I also know that A LOT of people wanted this healtchare bill thing to pass without knowing its complexity... He THOUGHT he knew what the people wanted but he had no idea... I guess... my say, better late than never...

Quoting mamadixon:

My thought on this...

This is not directed solely at Obama...in fact it is more correctly directed at Congress, and it has been going on FOREVER. Stop wasting my dime. If you have programs that you do not mind cutting in times like these, DO IT ANYWAY. Of course only my opinion, and I am a proponent of VERY limited government.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I agree with him on everything except veterans programs because every time I turn around he is trying to cut or succeeding in cutting those it seem or someone is. How much more can they be cut before really? Foreign aid being cut could save us really. I realize there is a lot of suffering in the world but when you force people to contribute through taxes they feel no need to do so otherwise. Really aid needs to be a private thing not the responsibility of the government. We have people who need that money and funding other peoples wars is not productive.

Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I completely agree with your opinion ;) sometimes it makes me wonder if they just had a brain fart or if they are completely ignorant to what the people need. Politicians in general just seem out of the loop...

Quoting mamadixon:

Quoting Joqui:

Quoting mamadixon:

My thought on this...

This is not directed solely at Obama...in fact it is more correctly directed at Congress, and it has been going on FOREVER. Stop wasting my dime. If you have programs that you do not mind cutting in times like these, DO IT ANYWAY. Of course only my opinion, and I am a proponent of VERY limited government.

lilyrose73
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:23 PM

But yet, Obama blasted John McCain during the campaign for this same idea.  What a hypocrite.  And the amount "saved" will be so small it's hardly going to help the deficit.  Obama is just trying to make himself seem like he's fiscally responsible, which we all know he isn't.

Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM

THis is probably the only time I am going to say this on a forum... Foreign aid should be secondary to your country's aid. How are we going to help others when we can't help ourselves, I think once we have ourselves established again and up on our feet we can fully help other countries but our priority SHOULD be ourselves first,.. how can a blind person lead the blind? I guess there can be miracles but it's just unrrealistic.

On the other hand, I fully support the US helping Haiti... helping Israel, not so much

Veterans need more funding, they already get the second end of the stick in my opinion. We treat or Veterans sometimes like second class citizens.

Quoting stormcris:

I agree with him on everything except veterans programs because every time I turn around he is trying to cut or succeeding in cutting those it seem or someone is. How much more can they be cut before really? Foreign aid being cut could save us really. I realize there is a lot of suffering in the world but when you force people to contribute through taxes they feel no need to do so otherwise. Really aid needs to be a private thing not the responsibility of the government. We have people who need that money and funding other peoples wars is not productive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)