Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Atheistic billboards send ripples of dissent across God-fearing America

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM
  • 89 Replies

Campaign is riposte to Christian businessman spending $50,000 on posters denouncing separation of church and state

The posters in the US are reminiscent of last year's godlessness-promoting campaign on London buses organised by British atheists

In a country where more than eight in 10 people regard themselves as religious, it takes more than a little guts to preach about a world without God. But that's the message that is creeping across America, spreading ripples of dissent in its wake.

From Tampa in Florida, to Cincinnati, Ohio, and all the way across to Sacramento in California, billboards have been cropping up with messages that run across the grain of America's normally devout discourse. "Don't believe in God? You're not alone!" were the first posters to be put up, in Arizona, Colorado, Texas and parts of the north-east. "Being a good person doesn't require God," read another.

The billboards are the work of a national group of atheists – or nontheists, as they call themselves – called United Coalition of Reason that seeks to encourage nonbelievers throughout America by bringing them together.

Through their website, they set themselves up in the mould of a religious community, outlining their "mission" , which they define as raising the visibility and sense of unity of the "community of reason".

The idea for the billboard campaign emerged after a Christian businessman in Tampa spent $50,000 (£32,000) of his own money putting up posters denouncing the separation of church and state . The coalition decided to take him on directly by spending twice as much on its own campaign.

The result has been predictably volatile. Its latest poster – "Are you good without God? Millions are" – has been defiled in Sacramento by religious opponents adding the words: "Also lost?"

In Cincinnati, the owner of the hoarding took down the poster after he received threats. And in Tampa, the believers have hit back with another campaign pouring scorn on the coalition with the help of quotations from George Washington.

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
             Group Mod

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rotPferd
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:51 AM

To me, the word "probably" means there's room for doubt.  

"Oh come on! Am I talking to myself here? I say they're vegetarian. You say GRR. I say can we talk about this? You say GRR. I don't call that communication." GRRR! "See, that's your answer to everything." --- Sid

Talee
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Quoting rotPferd:

LOLOL great observation...I am guessing they need to get back to their advertising agency...

Join us on

Group Mod

ladiesnight
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Quoting rotPferd:

Most atheists use the word probably because we're not so arrogant as to assume that we know everything.  We understand that most evidence points to there not being one, so we say that there probably isn't.  No one should say that they know for sure, because no one does, neither believers nor non-believers. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Quoting katy_kay:

Campaign is riposte to Christian businessman spending $50,000 on posters denouncing separation of church and state

The posters in the US are reminiscent of last year's godlessness-promoting campaign on London buses organised by British atheists

In a country where more than eight in 10 people regard themselves as religious, it takes more than a little guts to preach about a world without God.

Couple of things in this post bother me.  Do most people who believe in God FEAR God?  And the above in red infers that those 8 out of 10 people who believe in God are Christians.  I have no idea of the stats - that number may actually be correct - but I believe someone is taking liberties with the statistics here.  Just saying.

sageinca
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Sounds like a pretty arrogant remark to me

Quoting ladiesnight:

Quoting rotPferd:

Most atheists use the word probably because we're not so arrogant as to assume that we know everything.  We understand that most evidence points to there not being one, so we say that there probably isn't.  No one should say that they know for sure, because no one does, neither believers nor non-believers. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Quoting sageinca:

Quoting ladiesnight:

Quoting rotPferd:

Eh, I think its kind of funny.  And I'm Christian.

Talee
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Quoting ladiesnight:

Quoting rotPferd:

I thought Atheists belive there IS NO GOD.

Agnostics are the ones who claim they are not sure.

According to what I know....correct me if I am wrong....(not a challenge, just learning)

Join us on

Group Mod

sageinca
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM

That's not what you were just saying above

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting sageinca:

Quoting ladiesnight:

Quoting rotPferd:

Eh, I think its kind of funny.  And I'm Christian.

Joqui
by Joqui on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I find it funny... the word "probably" does leave room for doubt and therefore I take it as... well their probably is there probably isn't so whichever way.. enjoy your life... and since I tend to over analyze things...

If you believe in God you find JOY in God. (I know I do!)

if you don't believe in God well you probably find enjoyment in whatever it is you believe in... so either way the billboard doesn't offend me .. :)

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting katy_kay:

In a country where more than eight in 10 people regard themselves as religious, it takes more than a little guts to preach about a world without God.

Couple of things in this post bother me.  Do most people who believe in God FEAR God?  And the above in red infers that those 8 out of 10 people who believe in God are Christians.  I have no idea of the stats - that number may actually be correct - but I believe someone is taking liberties with the statistics here.  Just saying.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. There is no way that 8 out of 10 people who believe in God are Christians. That would mean that 80% of religious people are Christian. There is no way that is correct. Even if they lumped the Catholics in with the Christians, it still wouldn't be accurate. Wow.

Mrs. Khan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)