Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone think this statistic is appalling?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:17 PM
  • 19 Replies

•Nearly half (46%) of all 15–19-year-olds in the United States have had sex at least once.[1]

[1] Abma JC et al., Teenagers in the United States: sexual activity, contraceptive use, and childbearing, 2002, Vital and Health Statistics, 2004, Series 23, No. 24.

(from http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-ATSRH.html#1)

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Talee
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Yes and no.

Depends on your outlook i guess.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Once again another statistic including 18 and 19 year olds in a group with children.  If you are 18 and having sex...SO WHAT!  You are a legal adult.  I was married at 18 so Yup... I am in that statistic because I was definitely having sex! 

I bet you that the statistics would change dramatically if you took the 18 and 19 year olds out of the equation.   

Why is this appalling to anyone in the first place?  I'm sorry but 15 year olds are having sex?  OH MY Goodness!  People used to be married at 14 and have children at 16...  I get that things have changed yadda yadda yadda but I really don't see this as "appalling".  Honestly, as long as the people in this study were having SAFE sex then I really don't care.

Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM

At this point, it doesn't really bother me because it doesn't effect me. Now when my kids get to be that age, heck yea I'm sure it'll bother me.

canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I agree that having 18 and 19 year olds really skews this stat.  I mean I was engaged at 19 and yes I was sexually active with my future husband (to whom I am still married almost 15 years later), but is that appalling?  I'd like to see what percentage of 15 -16 year olds are sexually active, I'm betting it goes way down.  Plus I'd like to see what percentage of those who are sexually active are having safer sex.  I know that there are emotional repercussions to having sex early, but there are bigger repercussions to getting pregnant or an sti.  Not that I want to see a high percentage of teens being sexually active, but I have less of a problem with it if they are being safe.

AnB68
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:43 PM

i wonder what the sats for 12-16 is?? that i would find appaling!! but this current stat that was posted- not so much..

dietienne0210
by Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I'm actually surprised that it's only 46%.

cherry41089
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Quoting AnB68:

i wonder what the sats for 12-16 is?? that i would find appaling!! but this current stat that was posted- not so much..

same here

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Um, no, I would have expected it to be higher.

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM

No, considering I was married at 19 and pregnant before I turned 20.

Joqui
by Joqui on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM

No it doesn't surprise me.. I was doing a lot of things I wasn't suppose to be doing at 15... and even before then I was "teasing" with these things... at 19 I got married and yea.. I had my baby by the time I was 20.. so nope it doesn't surprise me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)