Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should Taxpayers Pay For Casey Anthony’s Defense?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM
  • 6 Replies

ORLANDO -- Casey Anthony’s lawyers said it is time for Florida taxpayers to help pay for her defense.

A representative for Anthony’s defense team said they have filed a motion asking the government to pay for the cost of their travel, along with money for serving subpoenas, hiring experts and deposing witnesses.

In the motion, the defense asked the court to declare Casey indigent, meaning she does not have the money to pay them.

Casey faces a possible death sentence for allegedly murdering her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

Because the trial will now be a death penalty case, lawyers said their costs have skyrocketed, and the money will help ensure their client gets a fair trial.

The defense said the assistance is needed to subsidize their costs, especially since they said they have to interview more than 100 people on the prosecution’s witness list, investigate thousands of tips and analyize complex forensic evidence.

It was not immediately known how much money Casey’s lawyers wanted. The defense has been tight-lipped throughout the case regarding how they were being paid in the first place, and who was footing the bill.

Casey’s murder trial has been tentatively set to begin in May 2011 at the earliest.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2010/3/5/caseys_defense_seeks_state_subsidy.html?refresh=1

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
prettymama72106
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I think that according to our laws everyone has the right to be represented but when the system is paying for it then it is a court appointed lawyer not  who you to choose I know in some states lawyers who are paid by the client cannot be court appointed the client if they can no longer pay and need the court to pay have to be reassighned a public defender the court won't pay the current lawyer. So if she can't pay them then she is shit out of luck and will just have to deal with a public defender

1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Quoting prettymama72106:

I think that according to our laws everyone has the right to be represented but when the system is paying for it then it is a court appointed lawyer not  who you to choose I know in some states lawyers who are paid by the client cannot be court appointed the client if they can no longer pay and need the court to pay have to be reassighned a public defender the court won't pay the current lawyer. So if she can't pay them then she is shit out of luck and will just have to deal with a public defender

I agree.

NovaDawn
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Totally agree..

svnamom18
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I agree also, but she deserves the death penalty. There are no ifs-ands- or- buts about it...But then again, that's just my opinion. It's people like her, who give young mothers a bad rep.

Quoting 1bluediamond:

Quoting prettymama72106:

I agree.

Joqui
by Joqui on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I agree as well.. yea people like her and the one that threw her NB in the trashcan after she had her.. sickening...

Quoting svnamom18:

I agree also, but she deserves the death penalty. There are no ifs-ands- or- buts about it...But then again, that's just my opinion. It's people like her, who give young mothers a bad rep.

Quoting 1bluediamond:

Quoting prettymama72106:

I agree.

tericared
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM

If she cant pay then she should get what every one else gets a PD.....She is a real piece of work...so is her lawyer.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)