Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Jobs Of Yesteryear: Obsolete Occupations

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

The Jobs Of Yesteryear: Obsolete Occupations

Jobs Of Yesteryear

As computers and automated systems increasingly take the jobs humans once held, entire professions are now extinct. Click through the gallery below to see examples of endangered professions, from milkman to telegrapher, and hear from people who once filled those oft-forgotten jobs.

I found this to be a cute and interesting article.. I wish I could copy and paste it but it won't let me...

Jobs from way back when that no longer exist..

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124251060

I wish the milk man still existed.. it would be great to have fresh milk delivered to you :) I also wish the Lector still existed as well, it would be great to have our factory workers get the news read to them at work, I think it would benefit the society as a whole... there were def. some good things about the old days...

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Those were great!

I am in a profession that was almost eliminated here in the US, but has made a huge comeback (midwifery), maybe the milk man can make a comeback. I would pay for fresh milk delivered to my door!

Joqui
by Joqui on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I think that the more we advance in technology the more we want things to go back and be simple. I am def. considering a midwife for my third child (if we have one)... hospital stays were great but everything else prior to having the baby was a pain... the OBGYN, the nurse who checked if I was dilated, I think I have more no how about my body now that I have gone through it 2... so I feel more confident about natural birth.. though I will probably miss those darn drugs ;-)

Quoting home-sweet-home:

Those were great!

I am in a profession that was almost eliminated here in the US, but has made a huge comeback (midwifery), maybe the milk man can make a comeback. I would pay for fresh milk delivered to my door!

SxyMartini
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Quoting home-sweet-home:

Those were great!

I swear I am the milk man's baby....

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 7, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Where my sister lives in K.C. they still have a milk man!  It is a local farmer and I'm sure he makes some money off of it!  I would definately pay for fresh milk in the morning!

Talee
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM

As long as people want things NOW...and are doing the rat race...I am sure many of those old more personal jobs won't come back...but...I have hope, I think people miss those things...

I work at a newspaper...the print kind....those companies are hurting badly...mine not as bad as the big ones but the reason is because we cover a small area in detail...its about community...not whats happening in a city on the other side of the state...

I have to say I am happy people still like their paper with breakfast...otherwise my job we be gone now....we are struggling though.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I still love the morning paper as well.   :)  Nothing is better in the morning than eating breakfast with my kids while I have a cup of coffee and read through the paper...    :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)