Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tenn. CEO compares Michelle Obama to chimpanzee (piog)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:31 PM
  • 14 Replies

Tenn. CEO compares Michelle Obama to chimpanzee
By Andrew McLemore
Saturday, March 6th, 2010 -- 8:21 pm

"I don't care who you are, ... this is funny."

Thus began an e-mail that Walt Baker, CEO of the Tennessee Hospitality Association, sent to to a few friends, the president of the Nashville Convention and Visitors Bureau, and several members of the press.

It continues by comparing First Lady Michelle Obama to Tarzan's chimpanzee sidekick Cheeta. There are two photos at the bottom — one of Obama with an awkward pursing of her lips and another of a chimp.

Unsurprisingly, Baker has already begun apologizing for the outrage created by the e-mail.

"I am sorry for my actions. I am sorry for the offensive contents of the email," Baker said. "I can only hope those that know me can find it in their hearts to forgive me."

Many of Tennessee's leaders are angry that their state is once again front and center of a negative media spotlight.

"Who wants to come to a state where people think like that? This is far reaching and it's damaging," said District 3 Metro Council Member Walter Hunt.

This isn't the first e-mail sent by a Tennessee official since President Obama took office that smacks of racism.

In October, a state trooper sent a "white pride" e-mail to nearly 800 state employees.

Several months before, an aide in the state Senate sent out an e-mail depicting Obama as two cartoonish white eyes peering from a black background.

The Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau has decided to drop its contract with Baker's marketing firm Saturday, but many are calling for Baker's resignation from the Tennessee Hospitality Association.

Are you getting sick of hearing stuff like this! What is wrong with these people? BTW I am not saying just because she's a Dem or Rep. I mean in general! Aren't you tired of the stupidity of it all? What are your thoughts?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missingbelle
by Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Frankly I'm damn tired of hearing people cry racist all the F'ING time !!!!!

USMCBride08
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM

as offensive as this one...

I      <3         Them!

LancesMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM

BTW I am not saying just because she's a Dem or Rep. I mean in general! Aren't you tired of the stupidity of it all?

aidans_mama
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM

It happens so much it isn't even surprising anymore.  What is surprising is they keep doing and saying shit that they know is going to be found offensive enough for them to be apologizing for later....and they do or say the dumb shit anyways. 

Honestly, I just wish they would quit apologizing and own their ignorance....their apologies don't mean anything anyways.

aidans_mama
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Quoting LancesMom:

Aren't you tired of the stupidity of it all?

Yes.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Comparing a white person to a monkey has no racial connotations. Whereas it was considered a widely acceptable racial slur to call black people monkeys for hundreds of years. Therefore no comparing Bush to a monkey is not racist while comparing Michelle Obama *who is black* to a monkey IS racist as it falls back on the racial slur of refering to black people as monkeys.

Its not rocket science and even most elementary school kids understand the whys and hows that makes it a racial attack. To even try to compare the two shows a deliberate lack of understanding or a refussal to understand.

Quoting USMCBride08:

as offensive as this one...

Vincent 4-25-07, Dante 5-20-08

tericared
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Quoting aidans_mama:

It happens so much it isn't even surprising anymore.  What is surprising is they keep doing and saying shit that they know is going to be found offensive enough for them to be apologizing for later....and they do or say the dumb shit anyways. 

Honestly, I just wish they would quit apologizing and own their ignorance....their apologies don't mean anything anyways.

I agree.......

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Quoting missingbelle:

Frankly I'm damn tired of hearing people cry racist all the F'ING time !!!!!

There would be no reason for people to cry racist all the time if other people would stop doing, saying and sending racist things. Now if something isnt racist then yeah i agree, people crying racist about it just make themselves look like fools. But in this case and the other cases presented in this article, they were in fact racist. If people didnt do, say, send racist things they would not recieve the backlash of being called on it.

Its a fairly simple idea.

Quite frankly im tired of people trying to defend racism and saying they dont want it being called racist. Personally i think we should take anyone that says, does or sends racist things to live in a country where that sort of racism is accepted, that way we can all live here happily racist free in the country thats supposed to be all about all men being equal and all that jazz. I would love to live in a racist free country, it makes for a nice warm fuzzy dream :)

Vincent 4-25-07, Dante 5-20-08

Heartlight617
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 7:50 AM
It is offensive-in a good ol' boy kind of way. The "I don't get why people are upset,it wasn't my intent to offend-Puhleez- SO sorry!" excuse has run it's course. Mrs. Obama is not a politician, she is a wife of a politician. You know darned well this guy would not insult the wife of a caucasian with this picture or comment. What I don't get is why grown men are SO threatened by others who do not look just like them. I am continually amazed at some of the comments I hear from people I know regarding others of different races or backgrounds-they either forget or don't know that my grandchildren are biracial. They find out fast enough, though. Then they are so sorry! Why? Because they thought/said it, or because they said it aloud in front of me? Time to grow up.
fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Mar. 7, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I never heard these kinds of insults leveled at the white first ladies of the past...well...maybe a few about Hillary...LOL, but not about her race per se.

The monkey comment is clearly meant as a racist comment....and coming from some asshole Tenn CEO makes it a bit of a no-brainer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)