Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Girls Who Get Drunk at Frat Parties are Responsible For Date Rape!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM
  • 47 Replies

Today begins Sexual Abuse Awareness and Prevention month -- and American University is in an uproar over an anti-feminist diatribe in the student newspaper charging that some women who survive date rape invited it.

Photo: American University Erupts Over Date Rape: Girls Who Drink  and Go to Frat Parties Deserve Date Rape, Says Student Newspaper  Columnist
Emma Greenbaum hands a petition to Matt Brown on the campus of
American University
to protest a column in the student newspaper on date rape.
(Courtesy Drew Franklin)

"Let's get this straight: any woman who heads to an EI [fraternity] party as an anonymous onlooker, drinks five cups of the jungle juice, and walks back to a boy's room with him is indicating that she wants sex, OK?" columnist Alex Knepper, 20, wrote in the Eagle, the school paper.

"To cry 'date rape' after you sober up the next morning and regret the incident is the equivalent of pulling a gun to someone's head and then later claiming that you didn't ever actually intend to pull the trigger," he said.

The column -- "Dealing With AU's Anti-Sex Brigade" -- sparked a backlash and nearly 300 online comments on the newspaper's Web site, chastising the Eagle for being "open-facedly offensive" and publishing a "slap in the face to so many women, and men, in our generation."

Students bombarded the Eagle's office, gathering the March 28 issue from dispensaries and stacking them outside the door. More protests were planned today as letters to the editor poured in to the newspaper.

Others from American's Community Action for Social Justice Coalition (CASJC) hung a sign: "No room for rape apologists."

Knepper, an openly gay political science major and a two-year columnist with the Eagle, is known as a provocateur, according to CASJC member Drew Franklin.

"It's not typical of what you see at American, a very liberal school, but it is typical of Alex," he said. "This sparked a lot of outrage. It's a pretty big deal on campus."

Franklin, 22, and an audio production major, said he wasn't protesting Knepper's ideas, but rather the platform the newspaper gave the writer for "hate speech."

The Eagle has since apologized.

"They crossed the line when they marginalized survivors of sexual assault," he said.

One in six women will survive sexual assault in her lifetime, and college-age women are four times more likely to be victims than others, according to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN). Only about a third of all rape victims report these crimes and about 73 percent know their assailants.

About 90 percent of college women who are victims know their assailants -- usually a classmate, friend, boyfriend, ex-boyfrend, or other acquaintance, according to 2006 statistics from the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services at the Department of Justice.

Most acquaintance rape victims do not label their assault as rape, perhaps because they know the assailant, and often initially blame themselves.

Advocates worry about rhetoric like Knepper's because when women blame themselves they are less apt to report these crimes. Survivors are also more susceptible to eating disorders, drug abuse and post traumatic stress disorder, according to RAINN.

The issue of consent is at the heart of the crime.

"It's not your fault," said Katherine Hull , spokesman for RAINN. "Even if you drink and wear short skirts -- that is not consent."

Is she allowed to cry "date rape"? What are your thoughts on this?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Joqui
by Joqui on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I am not sure.. I mean, if she was 'raped' she was raped there is no excuse for it... or what if the boy she went with or met there targeted her specifically because of her drunken state? I mean, you just can't generalize like that

tericared
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Ok I Do not think just because a girl is drunk that means she wants to have sex...I also think that if a girl goes to the guys room willingly and gets naked willingly and has sex willingly.....That is not rape.......Just because she wakes up in the morning and feels bad for getting drunks and having sex does not give her the right to cry rape.. 

mama_k228
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I think it's wrong for a woman to get obliterated and then cry rape because in the morning light she doesn't like who she woke up with.  Or if she meets somebody or is with somebody for the first time, is seduced (not forced), then afterwards has regrets and wants to call it date rape, in order to not look like a slut.

Don't get sloppy drunk and unable to control your body when you're out in public. 

I believe women have to be accountable for protecting their own bodies even MORE than we demand men respect our bodies.  If you don't take care of yourself, who is?

Walking butt naked in public is not giving consent, but it gives you very little protection against a**holes looking for an opportunity and the consequences are not totally unforeseen.  Those who prey upon women under the influence are definitely wrong, but we should protect ourselves and not give them the chance.

Joqui
by Joqui on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I agree what a wonderful way of putting it

Quoting mama_k228:

I think it's wrong for a woman to get obliterated and then cry rape because in the morning light she doesn't like who she woke up with.  Or if she meets somebody or is with somebody for the first time, is seduced (not forced), then afterwards has regrets and wants to call it date rape, in order to not look like a slut.

Don't get sloppy drunk and unable to control your body when you're out in public. 

I believe women have to be accountable for protecting their own bodies even MORE than we demand men respect our bodies.  If you don't take care of yourself, who is?

tericared
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Quoting mama_k228:

bow down

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Quoting tericared:

Ok I Do not think just because a girl is drunk that means she wants to have sex...I also think that if a girl goes to the guys room willingly and gets naked willingly and has sex willingly.....That is not rape.......Just because she wakes up in the morning and feels bad for getting drunks and having sex does not give her the right to cry rape.. 

Exactly.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

mama_k228
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I actually cried 'date rape' many years ago.  It wasn't to the police or anybody that the guy knew.  But for a while I pretended that it was, when in reality it wasn't.  I was unhappy with myself for not being clearer and firmer than I was in not going along with him.  And I was not under the influence either.  I don't think I'm the only woman who got caught up in this.

Kalebs_mommy23
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I think there is a confusion to what rape is. If i girl doesn't fight (and is awake enough to fight if she wanted to) doesn't say no (and is capable of saying no) then it is not rape. it's her having drunken sex.  now, if she's to inebriated to say no or fight (or do anything for that matter) then it is rape (and come on what kind of sicko wants to have sex with someone that is basically passed out?) 

I was date raped about 3 years ago. I was hanging out with a guy, and yes I was drinking- but before hand I said I did not want sex. he planned it very carefully he wasn't stupid. I drank to a certain point but then stopped then he said he was going to bed and left the room. I thought " well I guess I can get smashed now cause he's asleep" (yes i was very depressed at the time) and so I did. he came back in to "check on me" about 45 minutes later I was basically asleep. then he raped me. 

but I'm sure there are plenty of you out there that would say I deserved it. no I wasn't being smart, but how many drunk people are smart?

2boys2love79
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Ummm, ok if a woman actually says yes to sex and then regrets the next day, you may have an argument, but unless there is (ideally) verbal and enthusiastic consent, men should learn to not engage.  Being drunk is not an invitation, a short skirt is not an invitation.  Just because she's drunk, the burden shouldn't entirely be on her.  MEN have just as much responsibility to prevent rape as women.  Acting like women are solely responsible for men essentially forcing themselves on women is, quite frankly, bullshit.

Mandipants
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Quoting Kalebs_mommy23:

I think there is a confusion to what rape is. If i girl doesn't fight (and is awake enough to fight if she wanted to) doesn't say no (and is capable of saying no) then it is not rape. it's her having drunken sex.  now, if she's to inebriated to say no or fight (or do anything for that matter) then it is rape (and come on what kind of sicko wants to have sex with someone that is basically passed out?) 

I was date raped about 3 years ago. I was hanging out with a guy, and yes I was drinking- but before hand I said I did not want sex. he planned it very carefully he wasn't stupid. I drank to a certain point but then stopped then he said he was going to bed and left the room. I thought " well I guess I can get smashed now cause he's asleep" (yes i was very depressed at the time) and so I did. he came back in to "check on me" about 45 minutes later I was basically asleep. then he raped me. 

but I'm sure there are plenty of you out there that would say I deserved it. no I wasn't being smart, but how many drunk people are smart?

I don't believe that you can legally consent if you are intoxicated. And please be careful with the 'if a girl doesn't fight' argument. I think that is a slippery slope. Fear and shame are powerful ways of paralyzing someone.

Rape is never okay as a consequence of bad choices. Or in other words Rape should never be a consequence of bad choices.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)