Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should it be Illegal?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:49 AM
  • 37 Replies

Should it be illegal to protest at military funerals? Or is this protected under free speech?

Heather
The Witchy Momma

Rise up this morning, smile at the rising sun; Three little birds, pitch by my doorstep; Singing sweet songs, a melody pure and true; Singing, this is my message to you-ou-ou; Singing Don't worry, about a thing; Cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Army_Wife41
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:51 AM

It is protected. It is in very very poor taste, but I don't think it would be right to take away someone's right to do so.

The Westboro baptist Church people take ti way too far, IMO.

LuvNMyBbs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:58 AM

As long as protests are non-violent and do not violate the city ordinance where they are taking place they should be allowed, even encouraged.  The protesting at service members funerals really bothers me but then again, I have dealt with some pretty crappy protests at military bases too.  When we lived at Offutt AFB in Nebraska there was an Iraq war protest right outside the gate closest to our home.  They had obviously been stirred up by events previous to our arrival but first we had some one spit on our car and then we had someone slam their fist on our hood.  The spit had me yelling but when the guy hit our car and my son started crying I had my door open.  If my husband had not grabbed me by the back of my shirt and yanked me back into the car it could have gotten ugly.  When we stopped at the gate I told the guard checking IDs what had happened but he said that since they were not on base (they were about 20 feet back) he couldn't do anything.  Once we got home I called the police and asked them to send additional officers down to make sure the situation didn't escalate further but I was told there was no reason for them to come on base to take my statement and that they did not have the officers available.  Needless to say I gave the base commander a call.

I would protect a persons right to protest even if I vehemently disagreed with what they were protesting.  My only conditions is that it is safe.  As much as I hate the WBC protesting it is still their right to do so.

Military Mamas...review your base and see what others have said at http://www.baseofpreference.com/

pvtjokerus
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Sadly, it is protected under free speech. It's a shame that there are some that choose an insensitive time to voice their opinions in a rather "loud" way.

LokisMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:08 AM

I wouldn't refute anyone's right to free speech, even though I think personally that the protesting of funerals is a disgusting and loathsome practice.

I want to see how many people protest Fred Phelp's funeral when he dies.

lovingmy4babies
by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Those Westboro Baptist 'people' should be illegal, as should what they are doing to the children in their care. JMO, though.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I think it's incredibly tacky. Whether legal or not.....you have to have some thing wrong with you if you'd do this to a grieving family. 

freckled-Sandy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I think it should be illegal to protest at funerals or memorial services.  I think it should fall into the free speech "exception" box, like yelling fire in a theater when there is no fire.  You can protest almost any where else.  Why protest at funerals except to just be an a-hole and destroy the families peace just to stroke their egos.  

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Quoting freckled-Sandy:

I think it should be illegal to protest at funerals or memorial services.  I think it should fall into the free speech "exception" box, like yelling fire in a theater when there is no fire.  You can protest almost any where else.  Why protest at funerals except to just be an a-hole and destroy the families peace just to stroke their egos.  

YEP!

"Oh come on! Am I talking to myself here? I say they're vegetarian. You say GRR. I say can we talk about this? You say GRR. I don't call that communication." GRRR! "See, that's your answer to everything." --- Sid

prettymama72106
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I agree it is sad and disgusting the families are grieving I mean if a person wants to protest that is their  right but it needs to be done somewhere else a funeral is not the right time and place it is disrespectful tacky and frankly just down wrong. I think the people that do can't possibly have a conscience

Quoting freckled-Sandy:

LokisMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I don't agree.  Making a free speech "exception box" is just stupid.  Yelling fire when there's no fire doesn't fall under free speech, it falls under the "you're an asshole" box.  If you start making exceptions for free speech legalities, how long before they just stick everything in that 'exception box'??

Quoting freckled-Sandy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)