Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Second Iceland volcano may be beginning to erupt. (UPDATE)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM
  • 20 Replies

MSNBC.com has a banner at the top of it's website saying Hekla has begun to erupt.

ETA:  Trying to find out if MSNBC.com got it wrong or not. :)

Large plume indicates second Icelandic volcano, Hekla, has begun erupting

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Oh wow.  No words.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Yea, not looking good. You could see a chain reaction started and it could be a bad summer for Europe. I guess Hekla has a bigger sister, Katla, which would cause serious issues if it erupts.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Interesting, they took it down off MSNBC.com. That's a little weird.

ETA: This is what they had on their twitter page so I'm not sure what's going on.

Large plume indicates a second Icelandic volcano, Hekla, has begun erupting

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Quoting smalltowngal:

Interesting, they took it down off MSNBC.com. That's a little weird.

It is strange.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Second Volcano, Hekla, Begins Erupting in Iceland

Iceland

Uh oh. Hekla is the volcano indicated by the purple pin. Eyjafjallajökull is the red pin. Katla, the really scary one, is the big white splotch just to the east of the red pin.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM

So is it confirmed then?

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Quoting smalltowngal:

So is it confirmed then?

Thats a blog I am looking there are a few hits on google but they wont load.

This is link to that blog:

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/04/second-iceland-volcano-hekla-begins-erupting-in-iceland.html

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I'm seeing on twitter that reuters is confirming but having a hard time finding a link. Sometimes I don't know if twitter is a good thing or a bad thing.

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Apr. 19 2010 - 12:45 pm | 56 views | 0 recommendations | 1 comment

Second volcano erupts in Iceland, all of Europe facepalms

By MICHAEL ROSTON
View of Hekla

Hekla volcano in southern Iceland (Image via Wikipedia)

Gosh, if you had told me that I'd be writing breaking news updates this month about volcanoes erupting in the mid-Atlantic, I'd have probably called you a ‘blow hard' or ‘plume crazy'

But, if this doesn't make you spew out your smoothie, a 2nd volcano just erupted in Iceland:

The Hekla volcano in southern Iceland erupted on Monday afternoon.

Live images from the Icelandic National Broadcasting Service showed a huge plume of smoke rising from the volcano.

via SECOND VOLCANO IN SOUTHERN ICELAND ERUPTS » Breaking News | Wire Update News | News Wires -.

No word, of course, on whether or not this volcano will further ruin civil aviation over Europe, and John Cleese will find himself spending $5,000 on a taxi ride across the continent again. At least ‘Hekla' is a lot easier to pronounce than "Eyjafjallajökull."

Anyways, I guess the people on SNL were right, and Iceland's volcanoes need to be sung a lullaby, by Bjork:

LokisMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Looks like a Twitter-induced rumor that MSNBC fell for...still researching though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)