Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Therapy

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

How many of you have gone?

Not for marriage but just plain ol' family issues.. like how to parent a tot or a teen who you feel may be disconnected from you or the family?

Has it worked?

Would you recommend family therapy to anyone?

Next Thurs. we are going to our first session. Well, I am. I am feeling very overwhelmed parenting Elijah and I figure this might be a good idea to do but have never met or known of anyone doing it.. unfortunately the therapist in my town do not see children so I will see how it goes the first few sessions and then ask if she recommends we see someone who can see us all...

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Cheryl-Ann
by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:33 PM

OK, this one is going to be interesting to how it is received.  The slogan around here is:  "Normal is only found on a washing machine!"  All four of us suffer from an alphabet soup of "problems":  the list includes Bi-polar, ADD/ADHD, OCD, GAD, ODD, and a little Asperger Syndrome.  Except for our 34 year old; we all take meds for our sydromes.  We have also had 4 years of INTENSE family therepy to deal with communication issues that we had with our now 14 who has Bi-polar with ADHD, OCD, ODD, and the a small amout of Asperger.  Being an child who is being raised in her grandparents home, adopted by them, and having her legal sister also her biological mother along with her mental problems has been tough.  Throw in my Bi-polar, ADHD, OCD and her other parent with ADHD,OCD,ODD, and his small amount of Asperger; we had a lot of issues.  Now, our child is AWESOME, and our communication skills are fantastic.  I wish we had started sooner, but, we didn't know about most of this until she was 9 years of age.  I am in personal therapy for smaller issues involving my reactions to other outside forces.  I doing much better.

Mandipants
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I think therapy can be a very good thing. I think it can help those that are involved get an outside perspective AND can offer suggestions on ways to work through things.

I think it can even help to understand others perspectives a little better. Sometimes I think we think we are hearing those around us, but we are hearing them through our own filter...

Joqui
by Joqui on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:06 PM

wow that's wonderful... you know I think we are so stuck on being 'normal' that I think a lot of us don't notice when we aren't 'normal'... it wouldn't surprise me to find out I have something "wrong" with me... communication is a big issue in my family... sometimes we talk to each other well and no one gets their feelings hurt other times we are yelling at each other.. .and even our 4 yr old (elijah) yells back and argues back... I think he has a lot of emotions that I need to try to understand and I can't do it by myself and reading articles online is not enough...

Quoting Cheryl-Ann:

OK, this one is going to be interesting to how it is received.  The slogan around here is:  "Normal is only found on a washing machine!"  All four of us suffer from an alphabet soup of "problems":  the list includes Bi-polar, ADD/ADHD, OCD, GAD, ODD, and a little Asperger Syndrome.  Except for our 34 year old; we all take meds for our sydromes.  We have also had 4 years of INTENSE family therepy to deal with communication issues that we had with our now 14 who has Bi-polar with ADHD, OCD, ODD, and the a small amout of Asperger.  Being an child who is being raised in her grandparents home, adopted by them, and having her legal sister also her biological mother along with her mental problems has been tough.  Throw in my Bi-polar, ADHD, OCD and her other parent with ADHD,OCD,ODD, and his small amount of Asperger; we had a lot of issues.  Now, our child is AWESOME, and our communication skills are fantastic.  I wish we had started sooner, but, we didn't know about most of this until she was 9 years of age.  I am in personal therapy for smaller issues involving my reactions to other outside forces.  I doing much better.

Joqui
by Joqui on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I have that problem. I don't see beyond my own opinions on a lot of things and I know that if I call my family they will just tell me something to make me feel better.. I don't think I am fully prepared to hear everything I am doing wrong but I am trying to be more open about being ... wrong... ufhh I am both nervous and excited about this session I hope things come out that need to come out so that I can be a better parent to Elijah...

Quoting Mandipants:

I think therapy can be a very good thing. I think it can help those that are involved get an outside perspective AND can offer suggestions on ways to work through things.

I think it can even help to understand others perspectives a little better. Sometimes I think we think we are hearing those around us, but we are hearing them through our own filter...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)