Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms in prison (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM
  • 4 Replies

I read an article on Mothers who are in prison. The article was about nurseries set up in prisons to allow mothers to give birth to and keep thier children and raise them for a period of time (some prisons its 1 year others its longer, like 18 months).

What do you think of this setup? Are you OK with tax dollars being spent this way? Is it a good idea for these babies to be in the prison? Do you think this helps "rehabilitate" some prisoners?

Here's the Article if you are interested in reading more:

http://www.essence.com/magazine/special_report_moms_behind_bars.php

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Emotionally I think it's probably a good thing. As far as the tax dollars for this....what's the alternative? Putting them in a foster home which costs tax money. 

TheJerseyGirl
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:02 AM

It wouldn't be fair to take an innocent baby from its mother. I saw this and know that they take the mother's crime and conduct into consideration before they allow her a room in the nursery.

Tax dollars??? I give up on that one. I know they spend them on much worse than children.

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:07 AM

I agree.

Quoting EireLass:

Emotionally I think it's probably a good thing. As far as the tax dollars for this....what's the alternative? Putting them in a foster home which costs tax money. 

katnjaquesmom
by Member on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I think this is a great thing.  It's important for the bonding process and will help in the rehabilitation process by providing an incentive for them to live straight.  I work in prison ministry and it is heart wrenching to hear the cry of a mother's heart within prison walls.  This is a wonderful alturnative

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)