• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

51 States?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

DON'T bash me. I was talking to someone about the new law in Arizona (big shock) and they mentioned hearing something on the radio one night about it.

Basically, the radio show host said something along of the lines of the United States of America should take on Mexico as the 51st state. It went further to say we should legalize marijuana. In doing these two things we could potentially:

make every Mexican a US citizen, therefore there would be no "illegals"

It would make a smaller border to patrol south of Mexico which would give us more control over our borders

improve their quality of life by having them included in the laws of the US including wage and labor laws, etc, which would allow them to make liveable wages and would also help the government because they would be taxable wages

legalize and tax the marijuana which would help the US government with the national debt AND create less of a drug trafficking problem because this drug would be legalized. It's already being legalized for medical purposes in several states.

I'm curious as to what people think of this idea. I'm sure there are some logistics that make it a problem, though I'm not sure what off the top of my head because I literally was just told about the idea. It sounds like an interesting idea, but I wanted to get thoughts on it. We're supposed to be thinking about the immigration issue for my Spanish course in college and one of the questions on my final is about how I feel about immigration and what I think we should do to solve the problem. Anyway, I would value your input.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimah
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:10 AM

We already have a 51st state. It's called "israel"

tericared
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:23 AM

Quoting muslimah:

Good one my friend....

Every asshole who ever chanted 'Drill baby drill' should have to report to the Gulf coast today for cleanup duty. -Bill Maher

tericared
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:24 AM

I think that would be a great idea...

Della529
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Sad, but true.  Although, I think Israel is more synonymous with DC (District of Columbia).

Quoting muslimah:

Della529
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Major question:  How would the Mexican government and people react to this?

cherry41089
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I think puerto rico should be the 51st state and we should add Guam, Virgin islands, and I know I forgot some of the other territories but you get the point.

LokisMama
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM

It's a great idea in theory but I don't think Mexico would ceceed control of their government to our Federal Govenrment.  The laws that are now "federal" (I do not know the correct term for the Mexican Government, forgive me), would become state level laws. 

athenax3
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:22 AM

America taking over an unwilling terroritory ....mmm, not so much a fan. While simply absorbing Mexico might sound good in theory there are political implications and issues that would prevent this from being feasible. Besides which, americans are already complaining about the deficit- imagine the outrage when we forcefully take a nation that needs millions and millions in aid and reform??

acrogodess
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM
We already spend millions and millions on border patrol, deportation and other things. I say that as long as the people of Mexico are for it, sure why not? Remember that the federal government gives the state money for things like welfare and food stamps, the rest is put into place by the state government. They cannot drain our resources anymore than they already do. The border between Central America and Mexico is much smaller and much easier to patrol so it would be good to stop the drug cartels from places such as Columbia from bringing in their cocaine. The USA goes in unwanted into many nations to play Big Brother, may as well do it here in North America.
katy_kay
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:26 PM

LOL...Not all Mexicans want to be Americans and as a sovereign country with laws, history and a rich culture they may a have a problem with the plan. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)