• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's illegal, but desperate Americans are buying drugs online from Canada

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:03 AM
  • 24 Replies

The high cost of prescription drugs has left many Central Floridians scrambling for ways to afford their medications. But for Anita Prager of Apopka, cheaper meds are just a mouse click away.

Prager is among the estimated 1 million Americans each year who buy their medications online from Canada. It's not clear how many Floridians get their drugs that way, but this consumer segment is growing as more people look for ways to cut down on health-care costs.

Even though buying medication online from other countries is illegal, a group representing Canadian online pharmacies is seeking to get the word out about safely buying their drugs over the Internet.

"Prescription-drug costs in the U.S. are among the highest in the world, which is why so many Americans seek alternative sources for their medications," said Tim Smith, general manager of the Canadian International Pharmacy Association. "Certainly, at this time it is important for people to know that buying drugs online from a source you can trust is an available alternative, especially for people on fixed incomes."

Prager, who suffers from COPD and recently underwent a mastectomy for
breast cancer, and her husband, who has high blood pressure and diabetes, began researching their options online a couple of years ago. Among the drugs Prager has saved money on is Aromasin, used to treat advanced breast cancer. A three-month supply retails for $900. Prager pays $600 for the same amount through a Canadian online pharmacy.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/os-drugs-canada-online-20100502,0,2523797.story

Every asshole who ever chanted 'Drill baby drill' should have to report to the Gulf coast today for cleanup duty. -Bill Maher

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Should people buying their meds this way be put in jail?

jblueeyes228
by Member on May. 2, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Quoting tericared:

Should people buying their meds this way be put in jail?  

OF COURSE NOT!!!

tericared
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I agree...of course not......Want to comment more...but am waiting for some more replies...

stormcris
by Christy on May. 2, 2010 at 2:43 PM

I will only say this is nothing new but is steadily getting worse as the deniles of what medicine is covered is going up.

BleedinHeartMom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM

My uncles MS-Contin pills are 12 dollars a pill here, he can get them for 2 dollars a pill in Canada

Mandipants
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Well if some here can scream about illegal immigrants being deported and thrown away because 'it's ILLEGAL!' then yes-- I say put American citizens in jail because they are desperately trying to save or maintain their health and the system is failing them.

*sarcasm*

Joqui
by Joqui on May. 2, 2010 at 2:58 PM

... am I just really naive?

lol.. I had no idea you could buy meds from Canada online ...

athenax3
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:19 PM

If it's a jailable offense- sadly yes. I hate to say it- just as I hate to say illegals should be punished to whatever extent the law defines, but I believe in following the law, and I don't cherry pick when it applies and when it doesn't. I'm not saint, I may have broken a law, and may break more who knows, but i know and understand the potential penalties of such, that's life. If you break the rules, there's a chance you may get caught. If you don't like the rules, fight to change them.

Hearts_n_Stars
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Quoting Mandipants:

Well if some here can scream about illegal immigrants being deported and thrown away because 'it's ILLEGAL!' then yes-- I say put American citizens in jail because they are desperately trying to save or maintain their health and the system is failing them.

*sarcasm*

MissG9
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM

What ever happened to compassion?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)