Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Proposed Immigration Bill For Michigan

Posted by on May. 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM
  • 111 Replies

I just got an e-mail urging me to contact my Michigan State Representative Kim Meltzer to express my concerns about an immigration bill she plans to propose, which is patterned on of the recent controversial bill passed in Arizona

I do support the organization who is calling for support against this bill but I will not be standing by them in support on this matter. I am all for the bill and hope it  passes.

by on May. 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on May. 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Is there a large population of Latinos there? Aren't you afraid Muslims { or any Arab looking people } will now be a target?

Just asking my friend....

muslimah
by on May. 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Quoting tericared:

Is there a large population of Latinos there? Aren't you afraid Muslims { or any Arab looking people } will now be a target?

There are some Latinos in other cities but nothing like in other states just small communities and I don't know any of them.

Being that we hold the largest Arab population in North America I am sure there are some who have over stayed on expired visas (although not many). I only know two or three Arabs who are here without status because of overstaying visas and they are very dear friends of mine who I care allot about and I would love for them to be able to become legal but because they already broke the law by being illegal it's not so simple. They must first return home and wait out a penalty time period and retry to gain legal entry which is unlikely.

However... the law is the law. If we are going to get rid of illegals we can't just pick and choose which ones we support getting rid of.

I would never turn anyone in and it would break my heart to see a few friends go but I am in support of the bill and will not participate in fighting it.

We had to go through the immigration process costing us allot of time, money, and inconveniencebut we did it and others who want to be here should go through the process as well. It is those who dodge the process that make it so hard and expensive on those of us who did do things legally.

katy_kay
by on May. 12, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Can Michigan really afford to face similiar financial losses that Arizona is now facing?  It would seem the *smart* choice for states is to wait and see how this all works out for Arizona. 

SxyMartini
by on May. 12, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Brown is brown...

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2010 at 10:13 PM

The AZ law now allows the cops to RIGHTFULLY ask if you are AN ILLEGAL alien within the U.S.A. IF the cop has OTHER reasons to have you detained.  The AZ does not say GO AFTER PEOPLE WITH BROWN SKIN. 

Quoting tericared:

SxyMartini
by on May. 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Nope just happens that all of them are....

ILLEGALS WILL NO LONGER BURDEN ARIZONA!

Quoting pvtjokerus:

The AZ law now allows the cops to RIGHTFULLY ask if you are AN ILLEGAL alien within the U.S.A. IF the cop has OTHER reasons to have you detained.  The AZ does not say GO AFTER PEOPLE WITH BROWN SKIN. 

Quoting tericared:

katy_kay
by on May. 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM

The law was written so they could come to your door and demand you show proof of legal status.  One could simply have a non functioning car in the driveway and that would be cause enough for them to come knocking. 

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting tericared:

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Really??? Prove it.

Quoting katy_kay:

The law was written so they could come to your door and demand you show proof of legal status.  One could simply have a non functioning car in the driveway and that would be cause enough for them to come knocking. 

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting tericared:

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM

You have never walked the southwest border have you? 

Quoting SxyMartini:

Nope just happens that all of them are....

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting tericared:

SxyMartini
by on May. 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Show me evidence of any illegal who has been arrested in AZ who isn't brown.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Really??? Prove it.

Quoting katy_kay:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting tericared:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN