Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Marines Refused Service At Eatery?

Posted by on May. 13, 2010 at 1:21 AM
  • 48 Replies

Marines Refused Service At Eatery? Claims Fly Online

Phone Calls Hammer Weberstown Mall Sub Shop

KCRA.com
updated 1 hour ago

STOCKTON, Calif. - KCRA.com

Web postings claim a Stockton sandwich shop refused to serve Marines at lunch on Monday, and the talk has led to a boycott of the eatery.

Calls for the boycott were posted on Facebook pages for the

and other sites across the Web.

Posters claim that that Marine recruiters in Stockton were refused service at this Charley's Grilled Subs in Weberstown Mall.

Franchise store owner Jian Ortman said she's scared. Phone calls have been coming in nonstop from across the country, some with threats.

Ortman said this in a statement:

Military recruiters came to our restaurant and had a long conversation with our employee. We asked them to take their conversation outside of the restaurant because our employee was working. We did not refuse to serve the soldiers. We told the soldiers that we support our troops, but do not support the war. I meant no insult to the men and women that put their lives in harm's way to protect our freedom.

The owners of the sub shop said they never refused to serve the military, in fact, they say the recruiters have been there before and not only that they offer the military a discount.

Employees at the restaurant said their boss did nothing wrong.

"We give 10 percent to them, and we serve everybody, we have no hate toward anybody," employee Sondy Nguyen said.

The two Marine recruiters declined to comment on camera. A Marine representative said in a statement that, "As Marine recruiters, we enjoy discussing the Marine Corps opportunities with anyone who would like information."

Charley's is a national chain with hundreds of restaurants and known for its troops support.

"Whatever happened, I think they took it too far and overexaggerated," Nguyen said.

So far, there are no boycott signs springing up, but the phone has been taken off the hook.

The owners at Charley's Grilled Subs in Stockton said so far, business is about the same, but sales have not been affected. Many of the Charley's eateries are located on military bases.

by on May. 13, 2010 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Martina70
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Sounds like a couple of Marines recruiters were asked to leave trying to 'recuit' an employee who was on the clock. I don't see how the sub shop is under any obligation to accommodate them.

home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2010 at 8:22 AM

This story sounds strange to me, because unlike the army etc, Marines are not supposed to be out and about in uniform. My son  has to change before he can stop and get something from the store and he is not allowed to go to a restaraunt in uniform, or camo. Maybe it is different for recruiters.

They have so many rule. Like in dress blues he cannot carry certain things.

muslimah
by on May. 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Quoting Martina70:

Sounds like a couple of Marines recruiters were asked to leave trying to 'recuit' an employee who was on the clock. I don't see how the sub shop is under any obligation to accommodate them.

Exactly. Sounds to me like they think everyone should be impressed and give them special accommodations just because they are military (I have noticed this attitude among those in the military more than once).

I would have done the exact same thing as the store owner.

rnjMOM
by Rachel on May. 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Quoting home-sweet-home:

This story sounds strange to me, because unlike the army etc, Marines are not supposed to be out and about in uniform. My son  has to change before he can stop and get something from the store and he is not allowed to go to a restaraunt in uniform, or camo. Maybe it is different for recruiters.

They have so many rule. Like in dress blues he cannot carry certain things.

But they were recruiters.  They are almost always in uniform.

rnjMOM
by Rachel on May. 13, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Martina70:

Exactly. Sounds to me like they think everyone should be impressed and give them special accommodations just because they are military (I have noticed this attitude among those in the military more than once).

I would have done the exact same thing as the store owner.

I agree, normally recruiters will go into places like that and try and recruit from min. wage jobs... It is unfortunate someone decided to report this as them refusing to be served. And, Muslimah, you are correct. While I agree sometimes special accomodations should be given to military members in some instances, some take severe advantage of that and expect it, as opposed to honored.

katy_kay
by on May. 13, 2010 at 10:19 AM

So they were trying to recruit the employee?  I think the owner was within his rights to ask that they table the conversation since he was paying the employee and they were not being respectful of the time spent. 

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on May. 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I used to work in a mall in which the recruiters were always trying to convince my employees to join the military. It was a hassle, especially since while you're working you're obligated to be cheerful and helpful to customers (which meant that the employees didn't feel like they could refuse the guys). Finally I had to ask the recruiters not to talk to my employees about the military. They probably didn't complain because I worked in a little girl's store; how would that sound? "Claire's refuses service to Marines!" Ha. I know they really wanted that Dora backpack and sparkly hair bows.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I hope nothing happens to the shop owner.  There have been too many "satirical" calls for violence lately and you know there are many who will absolutely see this as an affront to the military.

Joqui
by Joqui on May. 13, 2010 at 1:41 PM

She's scared.. they interviewed her yesterday on the news and she didn't want to appear on camera talking, she said that she really did not tell them they weren't going to be served, she said that her employee had been talking to them for a while (they were trying to recruit) and that she asked them if they could take the convo somewhere else and the marines got upset, she says that they had been there before and every time they've received military discount... and now she's scared because she keeps getting threatening phone calls, it's gotten so bad that she took the phone off the hook.. I feel bad for her :(

Quoting LauraKW:

I hope nothing happens to the shop owner.  There have been too many "satirical" calls for violence lately and you know there are many who will absolutely see this as an affront to the military.

booklover74
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2010 at 1:54 PM

That is simply an awful situation for the store owner to be in. Shame on the recruiters for reporting it as service refusal. Some  military recruiters develop large entitlement aditudes. They become very aggressive in their recruitment and believe they are entitled to recruit anywhere, anytime, under any circumstances. These are the individuals that would take being asked to take a recruting conversation some where else and twist it into being refused service. I'm glad not all recruiters are of this mentality.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)