Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Libyan crash survivor reunites with relatives....UPDATE

Posted by on May. 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

TRIPOLI, Libya – Still groggy from surgery, the Dutch boy who was the sole survivor of a Libyan plane crash that killed 103 people greeted an aunt and uncle with a smile Thursday after they rushed to his hospital room from Holland.

But a Dutch Foreign Ministry official said 9-year-old Ruben van Assouw still may not realize the full extent of his loss because he has not yet been told his parents and older brother were killed in the crash on Wednesday. They were returning home from a family vacation in South Africa to celebrate the parents' 12 1/2-year wedding anniversary — a Dutch tradition.

"He's awake. He's talking. He is listening," the official, Ed Kronenburg, told The Associated Press after visiting Ruben in the hospital. "Of course he also sleeps quite a lot because he got anesthesia yesterday and is still a bit dizzy," he added.

"He hasn't been told yet, as far as we know, that his parents died."

Rescuers found Ruben still strapped into his seat at one end of a large debris field after Wednesday crash as the plane was landing in the Libyan capital Tripoli, said Libyan safety official Col. Baloul Al-Khoja.

Kronenburg said they noticed he was still breathing. "That's why they noticed that he was still alive," he said.

Khoja said Ruben was semi-conscious and unresponsive, bleeding moderately from the wounds to his legs. As they began moving him around, the shock began to wear off and he felt the pain in his legs, but he did not cry a lot.

Ruben was found about half a mile from a big piece of the tail section, indicating he may have been sitting in the front of plane when it shattered into pieces.

The plane impacted in a large sandy lot before the runway, leaving a long, narrow trail of wreckage, more than 150 meters and about 25 meters wide. The tail, with its colorful Afriqiyah logo, is the largest piece of wreckage, surrounded by shredded plan parts and scattered personal effects.

A romance novel," Zoete Tranen," Dutch for "Sweet Tears," lies open on page 225. Scattered in the dirt are a charred boot, a black high-heeled shoe, a vinyl motorcycle jacket decorated with Marlboro and Ferrari logos. A milk carton dribbles it contents into the sand. A carcass of a dog buzzes with flies.

No crater or gouge in the earth is visible. Near the start of the wreckage trail is a car completely crushed. Trees off to the side have been shredded to chunks of wood.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100513/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_libya_plane_crash

UPDATE is in reply #7...The family's blog...

by on May. 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamadixon
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2010 at 5:05 PM

This is such a sad and amazing story.

tericared
by on May. 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Quoting mamadixon:

Yes it is....When  I heard on the news he had survived I was like what? Amazing....Just like that little girl who survived in a crash and was found in the water......

mamadixon
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Ever read Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz?

Quoting tericared:

Quoting mamadixon:

Yes it is....When  I heard on the news he had survived I was like what? Amazing....Just like that little girl who survived in a crash and was found in the water......

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2010 at 5:26 PM

This story made me cry so much. How amazing that he is the only survivor, how sad that when he finds out about his family he'll probably wish he wasn't. Or at least I would, I can't talk for anyone else. It makes me wonder what God has planned for this child.

Mrs. Khan

tericared
by on May. 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Quoting mamadixon:

Ever read Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz?

Quoting tericared:

Quoting mamadixon:

I havent.....

tericared
by on May. 13, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Quoting mrs_khan07:

This story made me cry so much. How amazing that he is the only survivor, how sad that when he finds out about his family he'll probably wish he wasn't. Or at least I would, I can't talk for anyone else. It makes me wonder what God has planned for this child.

Must be something fantastic...

tericared
by on May. 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) – The family travel blog of the sole survivor of a Libyan plane crash that killed 103 people has turned into a condolence register, with dozens offering sympathy to the nine-year-old Dutch boy orphaned by the crash.

Ruben van Assouw lost both his parents and his brother in Wednesday's disaster and the blog run by his father Patrick at http://onsgaanopvakansie.blogspot.com has been inundated with messages following the crash.

"With horror, incomprehension and deep grief, we gradually realize that this weblog will be the last fresh memory," a person called Eelco posted on the Dutch language blog on May 12.

After that message more than 100 postings in Dutch and English followed, mainly addressing Ruben and offering him emotional support.

"So young and having to go through this already," a person called BS said. "With tears in my eyes I am looking at your holiday pictures. You probably had a beautiful holiday. Keep that memory. You are a miracle child and you must have an angel sitting on your shoulder."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100514/wr_nm/us_crash_libya_survivor;_ylt=Aoh3HIe2EBDpkAm.A4hu_f79xg8F;_ylu=X3oDMTNjbm5kOXVhBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTAwNTE0L3VzX2NyYXNoX2xpYnlhX3N1cnZpdm9yBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDMwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA2ZhbWlseWJsb2dvZg--

Joqui
by Joqui on May. 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM

yes ma'am I agree

Quoting mrs_khan07:

tericared
by on May. 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM

bumping for update..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)