Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can anyone spare a few million? The Field of Dreams is up for sale

Posted by on May. 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM
  • 13 Replies

Real estate agents can often get hyperbolic when talking about a "one-of-a-kind" property, but I don't think anyone will dispute that label on the newest listing in Dyersville, Iowa.

After all, how many iconic movie sets are not only available for purchase, but can also be lived in? The 193-acre farm where Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones filmed 1989's "Field Of Dreams" has been listed for sale by its owners after over a century of family ownership and the Des Moines Register reports that the asking price for the whole lot is $5.4 million.

That'd make for a good-sized mortgage, but it'd also get you the big farmhouse, the baseball diamond that Universal cut out of the corn, a few more farm buildings and about 65,000 tourists a year willing to buy your t-shirts and postcards.

Additional features include a vague yet suggestive voice in the sky, members of the 1919 Black Sox periodically showing up for a night game and the opportunity to play catch with your father's ghost.

It basically sounds like a great opportunity for anyone, so long as your brother-in-law isn't the dream-crushing character played by Timothy Busfield. 

Former major league pitcher Ken Sanders is helping Don and Becky Lansing oversee the sale as they head into retirement and he says he's not quite sure who will end up as the buyer:

"It would be easy to guess a baseball player, a movie buff or even someone from the film's cast," Sanders said.

"But the movie's reach has been so widespread, potential buyers don't necessarily fall within those demographics. It could end up being a non-profit organization, a land trust or a foreign investor. We might all be surprised."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/The-Field-of-Dreams-is-for-sale-can-anyone-spar?urn=mlb,240919

by on May. 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Hmmmm think I will keep my field of dreams backyard. LOL

tericared
by on May. 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM

I think it would be cool to live in a house like that with that much land...But wouldnt want strangers coming to visit every day..

tericared
by on May. 13, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Randi02
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I don't know the area, but that seems pretty cheap...

We have single family homes on much less property going for 5 million + here.

Cool though!

tericared
by on May. 13, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Quoting Randi02:

Cool though!

Howdy...How is "our" baby?

Book_mom
by Member on May. 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I will tell my hubby. He loved that movie! Ha ha there goes our retirement fund!

Randi02
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting Randi02:

Cool though!

Hey : )

Good! Not too much longer now.

You need to get up here and help out with the kids we already have though. They're driving me NUTS. How are you?

WesAndNicksMom
by on May. 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM

lol my SO showed me that earlier today (and said we had to buy it).

tericared
by on May. 13, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting tericared:

Quoting Randi02:

Cool though!

Hey : )

Good! Not too much longer now.

You need to get up here and help out with the kids we already have though. They're driving me NUTS. How are you?

I am good,  I need to win the Lotto so I can move....Hey when I am rich we can send the older kids, any one older than 2 to a private school, and then go on a world trip....LOL

{ No I am not serious for all of the ones having a hissy }

tericared
by on May. 13, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Della where are you? Lets buy this place......LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)