Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can anyone spare a few million? The Field of Dreams is up for sale

Posted by   + Show Post

Real estate agents can often get hyperbolic when talking about a "one-of-a-kind" property, but I don't think anyone will dispute that label on the newest listing in Dyersville, Iowa.

After all, how many iconic movie sets are not only available for purchase, but can also be lived in? The 193-acre farm where Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones filmed 1989's "Field Of Dreams" has been listed for sale by its owners after over a century of family ownership and the Des Moines Register reports that the asking price for the whole lot is $5.4 million.

That'd make for a good-sized mortgage, but it'd also get you the big farmhouse, the baseball diamond that Universal cut out of the corn, a few more farm buildings and about 65,000 tourists a year willing to buy your t-shirts and postcards.

Additional features include a vague yet suggestive voice in the sky, members of the 1919 Black Sox periodically showing up for a night game and the opportunity to play catch with your father's ghost.

It basically sounds like a great opportunity for anyone, so long as your brother-in-law isn't the dream-crushing character played by Timothy Busfield. 

Former major league pitcher Ken Sanders is helping Don and Becky Lansing oversee the sale as they head into retirement and he says he's not quite sure who will end up as the buyer:

"It would be easy to guess a baseball player, a movie buff or even someone from the film's cast," Sanders said.

"But the movie's reach has been so widespread, potential buyers don't necessarily fall within those demographics. It could end up being a non-profit organization, a land trust or a foreign investor. We might all be surprised."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/The-Field-of-Dreams-is-for-sale-can-anyone-spar?urn=mlb,240919

by on May. 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM
Replies (11-13):
ceemuhreeashbee
by Member on May. 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Dude- I LOVE that movie!

tericared
by on May. 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Quoting ceemuhreeashbee:

Dude- I LOVE that movie!

great movie....Of course I am in love with Costner...

Simply_Janeen
by on May. 14, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Oh my gosh! I've been there! I actually hit a ball there when I was 11 so it would have been in 1992 so just after the movie came out. I have the picture somewhere. I'll have to share that with my sister. That would be so cool but unfortunately, I don't have the money for the house and wow, that's a lot of money for property in Iowa. I can understand why but unfortunately, most people in Iowa are not going to be able to afford that.

Janeen

Wife to John since 2003, Mom to Natalie (4), and expecting number 2 July 2010.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN