Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wash. dad charged with branding kids is acquitted

Posted by on May. 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM
  • 3 Replies

Wash. dad charged with branding kids is acquitted

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PORT ANGELES, Wash. -- A man in Washington state who branded his children like cattle has been acquitted of second-degree assault charges.

A jury in Port Angeles deadlocked Thursday on two lesser charges of fourth-degree assault, and a judge declared a mistrial on those counts.

The two teenage sons of 39-year-old Mark J. Seamands testified that they had wanted to be branded.

The Sequim (SKWIM') man was branded himself. He testified he wanted to bring the family closer together while he was going through a divorce. Seamands' ex-wife said she was horrified when she saw the scars.

Seamands' 18-year-old daughter also was branded, but the dad wasn't charged with assaulting her because she was old enough to give consent.

The children were branded with the letters "SK," which stands for "Seamands' kids."

I honestly do not get this,  is 'the kids wanted it' the new defence for abuse? 

by on May. 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
wife.and.mommy
by on May. 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Branding is very common for teenagers and adults.  if they consented to it and wanted it, they can go to any shop with parental consent and have it done.

the difference is, he did it himself.

magpie03
by Member on May. 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM

This is ridiculous. Just because a child wants something doesn't mean he/she should get it. My kids would love to eat candy all day. Since it is not in their best interests, they do not get to. Same thing here. I don't see how branding your children could ever be in their best interests. If they are of age and choose to do it, that's one thing. But until they are considered adults in the eyes of the law, you are supposed to make the choices for them. And those choices should be about what's best for your children.

And it sounds like this was his idea. Who does that? Branding your children as a way to be closer as a family? WTH? Try spending time with your kids. That'll bring you closer together also. In my mind, the only purpose of branding something is to claim it as yours. This sounds like he's trying to give his ex a slap in the face.

katy_kay
by on May. 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM

In the state of Washington it is not legal for a minor to get a tattoo or brand even with parental consent. 

Also, you can see the pictures here...be warned it looks extremely painful. 

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Sequim-man-on-trial-for-branding-children-93576949.html?gallery=y&img=1&c=y

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

Branding is very common for teenagers and adults.  if they consented to it and wanted it, they can go to any shop with parental consent and have it done.

the difference is, he did it himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured