Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WSJ answers Palin: GOP received ‘far more’ campaign cash from oil and gas companies than Democrats did.

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

WSJ answers Palin: GOP received ‘far more’ campaign cash from oil and gas companies than Democrats did.

sarah-palin

Weeks after BP oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, Politicoreported that during the last 20 years, the company and its employees gave more money to President Obama than any other federal political candidate. Yesterday on Fox News Sunday yesterday, Sarah Palin tried to make it into a wider narrative. “I don’t know why the question isn’t asked by the mainstream media and by others if there’s any connection with the contributions made to President Obama and his administration and the support by the oil companies to the administration,” she said. Palin wondered if there is “any connection there to President Obama taking so doggone long to…grasp the complexity and the potential tragedy that we are seeing here in the Gulf of Mexico.” Mainstream media outlet the Wall Street Journal did ask and it appears the answer doesn’t give cover to Palin’s charges:

According to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Republicans receive far more campaign money from the oil and gas industry than do Democrats.

So far in 2010, the oil and gas industries have contributed $12.8 million to all candidates, with 71% of that money going to Republicans. During the 2008 election cycle, 77% of the industry’s $35.6 million in contributions went to Republicans, and in the 2008 presidential contest, Republican candidate Sen. John McCain received more than twice as much money from the oil and gas industries as Obama: McCain collected $2.4 million; Obama, $898,000.

Moreover, as Time’s Michael Scherer noted, the Politico article on BP’s donations “fails to provide the context readers need” considering Obama ran for president, and the numbers aren’t adjusted for “campaign inflation.” Even right-wing blogger Ed Morrissey warned the GOP not to “overplay their hand on this issue.”

BabyFruit Ticker

by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Let's face it the oil companies have them in pocket, so do many other large corporations and those are who these seemingly beneficial laws are being written for. It is good to remember while we are watching this horrific disaster that no matter what they are penalized we the people will pay for it.

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Yeah..Dems got like 2-1 or 5-1 over Republicans from WALLSTREET bankers and Fannie and Freddie...who was it at the CORE of our financial woes?

I don't think it was the oil companies....

P

El4Equality
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Quoting norwegianwood:

Yeah..Dems got like 2-1 or 5-1 over Republicans from WALLSTREET bankers and Fannie and Freddie...who was it at the CORE of our financial woes?

P

We are at the core of our own financial woes and our own oil dependency.  Electric cars came out in 1900.  We didn't want them. Over the years, car manufactures have toyed with the idea of hybrids/electric vehicles, but there was no market to sell them in. We didn't want them. Demand equals supply; you can't sell something that nobody wants.  Gas was cheap and we are a superpower, thus; we can take what we want.  We are the ones that wanted to buy what we could not afford, we are the ones that demanded bigger and better, we are the ones that did not save our money, we are the ones who controls who is elected to office,  we the ones that only elect government officials with the biggest and loudest advertising platform, and we are the ones that don't look beyond the ‘elephant or the donkey.'  Government is corrupt because we allow it to be corrupt.  Oil companies and financial institutions rule, because we allow them to. The masses need to stop complaining and start educating themselves and acting if they really want change. 

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:04 PM

TRY to tell me to educate myself while you deflect about the REAL CAUSES of THIS CURRENT crisis..it had nothing to DO with oil...it just didn't. But good try.

I didn't say we shouldn't try to consider our limited resources..but the fact is our CURRENT situation has EVERYTHING to do with WALL STREET and Fannie and FREDDIE and THEY supplied DEMS by a HUGE margin...that's just the facts, the history, and the truth.

P

Quoting El4Equality:

Quoting norwegianwood:

P

We are at the core of our own financial woes and our own oil dependency.  Electric cars came out in 1900.  We didn't want them. Over the years, car manufactures have toyed with the idea of hybrids/electric vehicles, but there was no market to sell them in. We didn't want them. Demand equals supply; you can't sell something that nobody wants.  Gas was cheap and we are a superpower, thus; we can take what we want.  We are the ones that wanted to buy what we could not afford, we are the ones that demanded bigger and better, we are the ones that did not save our money, we are the ones who controls who is elected to office,  we the ones that only elect government officials with the biggest and loudest advertising platform, and we are the ones that don't look beyond the ‘elephant or the donkey.'  Government is corrupt because we allow it to be corrupt.  Oil companies and financial institutions rule, because we allow them to. The masses need to stop complaining and start educating themselves and acting if they really want change. 

El4Equality
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM

But this particular funding accusation has to do with the oil industry, not the financial industry. The oil issue is a huge part of the problem.  You can't tell me that the dramatic increase in gasoline prices didn't play part in the economic downturn and cause significantly more problems. Energy reform should be a top priority.  It needs to stop being brushed aside and be dealt with.  In reality, what the heck does it matter who took more money from the lobbyist's?  What I want is results.  I want the energy issue dealt with proactively, efficiently, and I want it dealt with now.  The government entities that oversee these organizations need revamping and reorganization.  They aren't functioning properly and have to be fixed.  So, my thought is, they can take the money from whoever the heck they want to, but they'd better get the problems fixed. If they don't, then we'll kick their booties out of office.  I have a zero tolerance policy. My message to the politicians up in Washington is stop acting like children, stop tattling on each other and get some freakin' work down.  But, that's just what I think.   

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM

clapping

Quoting El4Equality:

But this particular funding accusation has to do with the oil industry, not the financial industry. The oil issue is a huge part of the problem.  You can't tell me that the dramatic increase in gasoline prices didn't play part in the economic downturn and cause significantly more problems. Energy reform should be a top priority.  It needs to stop being brushed aside and be dealt with.  In reality, what the heck does it matter who took more money from the lobbyist's?  What I want is results.  I want the energy issue dealt with proactively, efficiently, and I want it dealt with now.  The government entities that oversee these organizations need revamping and reorganization.  They aren't functioning properly and have to be fixed.  So, my thought is, they can take the money from whoever the heck they want to, but they'd better get the problems fixed. If they don't, then we'll kick their booties out of office.  I have a zero tolerance policy. My message to the politicians up in Washington is stop acting like children, stop tattling on each other and get some freakin' work down.  But, that's just what I think.   

Lindseyfam5
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Quoting SxyMartini:

sarah-palin

Weeks after BP oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, Politicoreported that during the last 20 years, the company and its employees gave more money to President Obama than any other federal political candidate. Yesterday on Fox News Sunday yesterday, Sarah Palin tried to make it into a wider narrative. “I don’t know why the question isn’t asked by the mainstream media and by others if there’s any connection with the contributions made to President Obama and his administration and the support by the oil companies to the administration,” she said. Palin wondered if there is “any connection there to President Obama taking so doggone long to…grasp the complexity and the potential tragedy that we are seeing here in the Gulf of Mexico.” Mainstream media outlet the Wall Street Journal did ask and it appears the answer doesn’t give cover to Palin’s charges:

According to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Republicans receive far more campaign money from the oil and gas industry than do Democrats.

So far in 2010, the oil and gas industries have contributed $12.8 million to all candidates, with 71% of that money going to Republicans. During the 2008 election cycle, 77% of the industry’s $35.6 million in contributions went to Republicans, and in the 2008 presidential contest, Republican candidate Sen. John McCain received more than twice as much money from the oil and gas industries as Obama: McCain collected $2.4 million; Obama, $898,000.

Moreover, as Time’s Michael Scherer noted, the Politico article on BP’s donations “fails to provide the context readers need” considering Obama ran for president, and the numbers aren’t adjusted for “campaign inflation.” Even right-wing blogger Ed Morrissey warned the GOP not to “overplay their hand on this issue.”

Palin ticks me off with her partisan, blame game crap instead of actually using her air time to discuss grand solutions she has.  The poor me, big bad media, blame game talk is getting old. 

However....Yes, reps receive more donations from oil comps, butif we're pointing fingers, Obama received the most from BP.  But, regardless, it doesn't matter.  Palin isn't potus.  Obama is, and this happened on Obama's watch. 

Lindseyfam5
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Quoting El4Equality:

Right on!  I do believe that regardless of what the financial industry had to do with the economy (which is right at the root)...we won't ultimately solve this crisis until we can become more energy independent and that means put it all on the table and leave the partisan politics at the door - the environmentalists can stay out of the room too. 

El4Equality
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Quoting Lindseyfam5:

Quoting El4Equality:

Right on!  I do believe that regardless of what the financial industry had to do with the economy (which is right at the root)...we won't ultimately solve this crisis until we can become more energy independent and that means put it all on the table and leave the partisan politics at the door - the environmentalists can stay out of the room too. 

I could not agree more. I don't know about you, but this issue is so frustrating to me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)