Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Call Palin What She Is: A Feminist

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

Daum Says Call Palin What She Is: A Feminist

May 24, 2010

Audio for this story from Talk of the Nation will be available at approx. 6:00 p.m. ET

During a speech at the Susan B. Anthony List "Celebration of Life" breakfast in Washington, DC, Sarah Palin called upon the assembled group to take the reigns of an "emerging, conservative, feminist identity."

Many liberals complain that Palin's political views are incompatible with feminism. Meghan Daum calls that hypocritical. She writes in a recent column,"if she has the guts to call herself a feminist, then she's entitled to be accepted as one."

Daum, who has long considered herself a feminist, isn't sure she follows all of Palin's logic, but she is with Palin on this. Daum thinks opinions about abortion and other social issues aligned with women's rights are separate from the question of whether one is a feminist or not.

Further, Daum sees Palin's use of the word feminist in a conservative framework as a challenge to "those who believe in gender equality but avoid the word."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127092813

Thoughts?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I'll call her what she is...

CRAZY!

Joqui
by Joqui on May. 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I agree with Daum... I do believe Palin is a feminist..

Joqui
by Joqui on May. 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM

lol

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

CRAZY!

DVD
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I cant think of anyone on this earth whos opinions matter less to me than sarah palin! Thats all i have to say about that... :-)

Lindseyfam5
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

CRAZY!

Yep, she's crazy!  Crazy to continue to be strong in her opinions, although she is heavily criticized and not popular with many...crazy to continue to publically challenge the white house and people in her profession....Crazy to put herself and family out there to constantly be attacked by many in the media.  I may not agree with her or what she has to say, but the woman is brave, intellegent, witty, admirable and very much a feminist.  You would think feminists all over would be standing up in support of what she is doing which is publically speaking strongly about what she believes regardless of what anyone thinks. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I didn't say I disagreed with the article.  I do think she is a Feminist.  I also think she is crazy.  I'm sorry but some of the things that come out of her mouth make me wonder if she has a filter.  Think before you Speak applies to her A LOT. 

And Lindsey - I will agree with you that she is brave and witty.  And intelligent depending on the topic because lets be honest, sometimes she doesn't have a clue.  Admirable?  Not for me.  Feminist?  Yes.

survivorinohio
by René on May. 24, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I think she is a contradiction.  On one hand yes she is a feminist and on the other she is a fundamental conservative.  I have oft wondered how she reconciles it all.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

Lindseyfam5
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I didn't say I disagreed with the article.  I do think she is a Feminist.  I also think she is crazy.  I'm sorry but some of the things that come out of her mouth make me wonder if she has a filter.  Think before you Speak applies to her A LOT. 

And Lindsey - I will agree with you that she is brave and witty.  And intelligent depending on the topic because lets be honest, sometimes she doesn't have a clue.  Admirable?  Not for me.  Feminist?  Yes.

.....for confronting head on with those who challenge her.  She is wildly partisan, which I can't stand.....She is using the 'big bad media' excuse waaaaay too much.....she uses waaaay too many filler words and has difficulty ending her thought, but the woman doesn't give up, she is persistent and for that I admire her. 

tericared
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Quoting DVD:

I cant think of anyone on this earth whos opinions matter less to me than sarah palin! Thats all i have to say about that... :-)

Ditto

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Yes. For those of us who were actually THERE at its start, it wasn't about WEDGE issues, but about liberating women from feeling they had NO CHOICE in a future OTHER than motherhood...but CHOICE MUST involve CHOSING said 'traditions'...in addition, Palin seems to have embraced SOME of the changes brought about by the movement: the roles she and her husband play in their families and careers are not the 'typical' woman staying pregnant and barefoot and catering to the male partner's career, but quite the opposite. And THAT is what the EARLY movement WAS about. Just because it's been HI-JACKED by extremists and LEFTIES--you know it was the Republicans and not the Dems who not only first recognized women during suffrage, but the first woman's political groups were Republican as well, just FYI--doesn't mean they get to REWRITE what the movement was or HOW it is defined by individual women. They just 'think' they own the movement like Jackson and Sharpton 'think' they speak for the entire black community. THAT is just one example of the arrogance of the leadership in the movement. I saw them as clearly ideologues when they remained SILENT about what happened to the subordinant Lewinsky--both by a superior (boss) and subsequently losing her position to 'protect the boss from himself' as a 'penalty' for HIS advances on her...IF this had been some fortune five hundred company or say the office of the EOE under Thomas...well, we all KNOW how they would have responded otherwise. That sealed them as worthless ideologues for me.

So, who the hell cares what THEY think. They don't own the legacy OR the idea.

P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)