Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents of adult children divorcing

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:56 PM
  • 4 Replies

Has anyone had their parents divorce since they were adults?  I'm sure it is difficult for children as well, but I'm wanting to know about parents with adult children who have divorced.  Anyone have experience here?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
StellarJKD
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I was 18 when my parents split, and about to be moving out. I don't think it was as emotionally traumatizing as it would have been if I wasa younger. It sucked b/c everything that was familiar was all changed at once. They sold the house, the cars, a lot of our stuff, including my piano :(

I think the worst part is that if they had split when I was younger, I would probably still have a decent relationship with my dad, we barely stay in touch now. If I had been younger, he would have at least had to spend some time with me and my brother, instead of basically just writing us off. It was also rough b/c even though they told us they just "grew apart", I was old enough to understand what really happened when my dad had a girlfriend shortly after the divorce. I barely know my stepfamily, since there was so much distance put btween us kids & my dad after the divorce, and his new wife's kids are mostly grown and doing their own thing too.

I think the worst part was being old enough to understand the pain my mom was going through, and to know exactly what caused it. It's been 8 years and I can still see how it has impacted her, even though she has moved on.

It was definitely harder on my younger brother than on me, he was 16, and had to choose between parents while still dealing with all the rest of the crap that you go through at that age

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 24, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Quoting StellarJKD:

I was 18 when my parents split, and about to be moving out. I don't think it was as emotionally traumatizing as it would have been if I wasa younger. It sucked b/c everything that was familiar was all changed at once. They sold the house, the cars, a lot of our stuff, including my piano :(

I think the worst part is that if they had split when I was younger, I would probably still have a decent relationship with my dad, we barely stay in touch now. If I had been younger, he would have at least had to spend some time with me and my brother, instead of basically just writing us off. It was also rough b/c even though they told us they just "grew apart", I was old enough to understand what really happened when my dad had a girlfriend shortly after the divorce. I barely know my stepfamily, since there was so much distance put btween us kids & my dad after the divorce, and his new wife's kids are mostly grown and doing their own thing too.

I think the worst part was being old enough to understand the pain my mom was going through, and to know exactly what caused it. It's been 8 years and I can still see how it has impacted her, even though she has moved on.

It was definitely harder on my younger brother than on me, he was 16, and had to choose between parents while still dealing with all the rest of the crap that you go through at that age

Thank you.  My parents are divorcing after 53 years - loooong story - so I am looking for others who have been through this.  Thank you!

bikerchickmommy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:50 PM

my parents split when i was a baby so i didn't know of course what the heck. i lived with my dad,  just him and i till i was 12, when he met  my stepmom and their still togather. on the other hand my mom has been divorced and married so many times i think i lost count. she might have as many marriges as elizabeth taylor by now.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM

My sister-in-law and her 3 siblings. They were all between 30-40. It was interesting to see them all behave the same as my 8 & 11 year old did. The emotions are all the same. It's very sad for everyone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)