Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rand Paul is worse than racist, he’s libertarian

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM
  • 9 Replies

Rand Paul got caught up in controversy because he said he disagrees with provisions of the U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1964 – specifically he disagrees with the federal government forcing any private citizen to do business with nonwhites. Now, he’s all surprised that his political hopes, once considered the bright spot in the GOP, are now definitely less so.

But me, I’m wondering WTF America? What did you expect from the Tea Party and any of their candidates? What do you expect of Libertarians? Anytime you elect someone who is right of the far right in this country, what you are going to end up with will be entirely wrong. And why now? Why are you only interested or even aware of his views now, when Rand Paul has been Rand Paul and spewing his ideologically purist libertarian nonsense, which is by definition completely unconcerned or undeterred by real social ills and reality for that matter, for his entire career.

First off, I don’t think Rand Paul is a racist, not consciously at least. He simply represents a mindset that is completely ignorant and disinterested in all issues concerning race and racism. He’s disinterested in how that affects people in this country who happen to not look like him. He is primarily concerned with preserving the liberties of those who happen to look like him. That’s essentially the nature of true libertarians. That’s why his father has been relegated to the margins in politics. That’s why we don’t have national libertarian candidates. While their views may be based on principles, they are not based on reality.

“The trouble with Dr. Paul is that despite his independent thinking, much of what he stands for is repulsive to people in the mainstream,” the (Louisville, Kentucky) Courier Journal wrote in an op-ed piece months ago about Paul.(please do click on this link and read the op-ed)  “For instance, he holds an unacceptable view of civil rights, saying that while the federal government can enforce integration of government jobs and facilities, private business people should be able to decide whether they want to serve black people, or gays, or any other minority group.”

In Paul’s mind, being a racist is a personal liberty. The fact that bigoted people deny liberties and freedoms to minorities due to their racism, sexism or homophobia is not really important. The only liberty to consider there is that one individual’s right to be a jerk. Government cannot legislate against it. The “free market” will correct it all in the end. So, the minorities who are refused jobs, housing, insurance, we would simply be collateral damage in the libertarian world view. Our freedom to pursue happiness is not as important as a racist’s freedom to express his own hatred for us by denying us freedoms. And in this world view, those racist jerks will eventually not be able to compete with the non racists, and all is well that ends well.

Paul also wants to do away with Social Security as well as all entitlement programs. He is against the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Philosophically speaking, this falls in line with traditional liberterian thought. Libertarians, often portrayed as Republican-light, are actually far more extreme and troublesome than Republicans. The contradiction, of course, is that their extreme views are based on principle — the very simple principal that we are all individuals and the government’s sole purpose and only responsibility to us is to protect our borders. In return, libertarians think we should be paying less for taxes. We would ultimately live more free lives because of it.

The only problem is this premise is entirely unreasonable. If we learned nothing from the last two years, it’s that the free market will not police itself, it needs government oversight.  We also learned how destructive a few individuals can be if not properly policed by government.

Government is dysfunctional — that I will give Paul and his fellow libertarians. But there are many Americans who are even more dysfunctional and without government, minorities in this country would have no justice whatsoever. In the libertarian world view, the poor and the marginalized are expected to pay the cost for the “liberties” of the wealthy and powerful.

See the story.

Why, yes...all boldface, red type, larger type is mine.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tericared
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I love this part...

But me, I’m wondering WTF America? What did you expect from the Tea Party and any of their candidates? What do you expect of Libertarians? Anytime you elect someone who is right of the far right in this country, what you are going to end up with will be entirely wrong. And why now? Why are you only interested or even aware of his views now, when Rand Paul has been Rand Paul and spewing his ideologically purist libertarian nonsense, which is by definition completely unconcerned or undeterred by real social ills and reality for that matter, for his entire career.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Yep.  Call it, sista.

tericared
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Yep.  Call it, sista.

Is it me or does it seem that the past few days the blind uneducated sheeple mentality is run amuck?

home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM

So this author and all of you above that agree believe the only way people of various races can get jobs and find house is because of a law? They are not qualified otherwise? And you believe that the majority of this country and business people are racist and that if the Civil Rights act were to be removed, we would go back to the life as it was before? You believe that the LIBERAL media would EVER allow a company to become racist? Or an apartment complex? Or a restaurant?

You have little faith in the ability of anyone of color.

I believe that anyone has the right to hire whoever they feel is best qualified AND we as the people have the right to withhold our business if they do not handle it right.

And it can go both ways. Say a Japanese restaurant wants to hire only Japanese people, I think they should have the right to do it and so on.

We are not stupid, we do not need the government to think for us and if the ones that are stupid try anything, the market will take care of it!

AMom29
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Quoting home-sweet-home:

So this author and all of you above that agree believe the only way people of various races can get jobs and find house is because of a law? They are not qualified otherwise? And you believe that the majority of this country and business people are racist and that if the Civil Rights act were to be removed, we would go back to the life as it was before? You believe that the LIBERAL media would EVER allow a company to become racist? Or an apartment complex? Or a restaurant?

I believe that anyone has the right to hire whoever they feel is best qualified AND we as the people have the right to withhold our business if they do not handle it right.

And it can go both ways. Say a Japanese restaurant wants to hire only Japanese people, I think they should have the right to do it and so on.

We are not stupid, we do not need the government to think for us and if the ones that are stupid try anything, the market will take care of it!

THAT'S what you take away from this?  No, plenty of people of "color" are qualified (BTW -- white is a color too), but some people can't see past their own prejudices.  THAT'S what is wrong.

What if they can't find enough Japanese people to fill that restaurant?  No one requires them to pick other than the best candidate, in any event.  You just can't NOT hire them based on something other than their qualifications.

I don't need the govt to think for me either -- that's one of the most asinine comments I've read today.  "If you support govt, you are stupid."  Ridiculous.

lizbethjulianne
by on May. 25, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Quoting AMom29:

Quoting home-sweet-home:

THAT'S what you take away from this?  No, plenty of people of "color" are qualified (BTW -- white is a color too), but some people can't see past their own prejudices.  THAT'S what is wrong.

What if they can't find enough Japanese people to fill that restaurant?  No one requires them to pick other than the best candidate, in any event.  You just can't NOT hire them based on something other than their qualifications.

I don't need the govt to think for me either -- that's one of the most asinine comments I've read today.  If you support govt, you are stupid.  Ridiculous.oh

OH SNAP!
mamadixon
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Nah...it's been almost 2 years now.

Quoting tericared:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Yep.  Call it, sista.

Is it me or does it seem that the past few days the blind uneducated sheeple mentality is run amuck?

home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Quoting AMom29:

Quoting home-sweet-home:

BUT if your company is required to have X amount of people of certain races and all of the most quailifed happen to be Japanese, the owner may be forced to hire a black person, or an hispanic just to meet the quota. That is not right.

I don't need the govt to think for me either -- that's one of the most asinine comments I've read today.  "If you support govt, you are stupid."  Ridiculous.

The government is saying that we are too stupid to choose the right employees on our own. It is not the government's place to tell a company owner what it is right for THEIR company. If they are stupid racists, then let the media have at it. I do not think we should have laws for that.

Deena:  midwife student, nurse, LC, wife, mom, and grandma!

Home Sweet Home: HOMEbirthing, HOMEschooling, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, attachment parenting, work from HOME mom, to has many children as God wants to bless me with!

catamaran1234
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Quoting home-sweet-home:

Quoting AMom29:

Quoting home-sweet-home:

BUT if your company is required to have X amount of people of certain races and all of the most quailifed happen to be Japanese, the owner may be forced to hire a black person, or an hispanic just to meet the quota. That is not right.

The government is saying that we are too stupid to choose the right employees on our own. It is not the government's place to tell a company owner what it is right for THEIR company. If they are stupid racists, then let the media have at it. I do not think we should have laws for that.

Exactly!

Furthermopre what has the govt. run so far that is actually not going bankcrupt or riddles with fraud? Hmmm?

As a small business owner, I have the right to hire anyone that I see fit to work for me. Our restaurant has narrow passages between tables. A severely obese person would not be able to navigate through the space.

Our menu is also in English and the chef only speaks English. So therefore if someone does not speak English how can they speak with customers and communicate with the Kitchen staff if they don't speak English?

So right there are two classifications of people that I can not and will not hire. Does the govt. need to step in and make me widen my store to accomodate persons of size? Should I also translate all my menus into many different languages (costing thousands for transaltions and reprinting) and then expect my customers to speak to the non English speakers in their native toungue?

This is how ridiculous your argument sounds. A PRIVATE business can hire and do business with whomever they want. Period.

Life is not an even playing field as much as the left would like it to be. Sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)