Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Founded on christian/judeo beliefs

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:35 PM
  • 34 Replies

Do you believe our country was founded on christian/judeo beliefs?  Why or why not?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Absolutely.  It is EVERYWHERE in History, but textbooks have been re-written in past years to erase ALL references to Christ and a Diety.  What a shame.  America IS a Christian nation, from the beginning of it's foundation, but I'm afraid that is really beginning to change now. 

im23vaughn
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM

No I do not..... I think that people of those faiths like to assume that it is. But muslims, buddists, and a slew of other religious and non religious people pratice those same beliefs. Our forefathers are deists and have made statments that explicity say that they dont believe in relgion and some of them weren't too sure of god either. They wanted religious freedom, something they weren't able to get in the countries they came from.

So no I don't think our country was founded on a Christian or Judeo God and beliefts.

The sad part is that all the proof ( letter written and speeches made by our founding fathers) is just disregarded because people want to believe what they want to believe even in the face of the truth.

MonicaE521
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM

We have an amazing country.  Yes, it was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs, but we don't limit our country to only those who follow those beliefs.  Laws, yes.  Spend ten minutes reading founding documents and the worldview of the men who wrote them is pretty clear.  (Yes, I know not every single one was a Christian, but many were.)

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Quoting im23vaughn:

No I do not..... I think that people of those faiths like to assume that it is. But muslims, buddists, and a slew of other religious and non religious people pratice those same beliefs. Our forefathers are deists and have made statments that explicity say that they dont believe in relgion and some of them weren't too sure of god either. They wanted religious freedom, something they weren't able to get in the countries they came from.

So no I don't think our country was founded on a Christian or Judeo God and beliefts.

The sad part is that all the proof ( letter written and speeches made by our founding fathers) is just disregarded because people want to believe what they want to believe even in the face of the truth.

You've been reading MODERN history books, haven't you?  Re-writers of history would like us to believe our forefathers were Deists, but they absolutely were indeed Christian/Judeo.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 25, 2010 at 12:18 AM

No, this country was not founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs.  The pilgrims were searching for a new home where religious beliefs were not mandated.  When they developed the format for their new government it appears they intentionally refrained from including their ecclesiastical beliefs.

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Stupid Pilgrims... why couldn't they all just stay home?!?!?  LOL

Quoting LauraKW:

No, this country was not founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs.  The pilgrims were searching for a new home where religious beliefs were not mandated.  When they developed the format for their new government it appears they intentionally refrained from including their ecclesiastical beliefs.

MonicaE521
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Would you like some quotes from many men instrumental in the creation of this country?  Besides just TJ?

Just a few, starting early.

The First Charter of Virginia (granted by King James I, on April 10, 1606)
• We, greatly commending, and graciously accepting of, their Desires for the Furtherance of so noble a Work, which may, by the Providence of Almighty God, hereafter tend to the Glory of his Divine Majesty, in propagating of Christian Religion to such People, as yet live in Darkness and miserable Ignorance of the true Knowledge and Worship of God…
Instructions for the Virginia Colony (1606) 
Lastly and chiefly the way to prosper and achieve good success is to make yourselves all of one mind for the good of your country and your own, and to serve and fear God the Giver of all Goodness, for every plantation which our Heavenly Father hath not planted shall be rooted out.

FF a few centuries:

John Quincy Adams:
• “Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day [the Fourth of July]?" “Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity"?
--1837, at the age of 69, when he delivered a Fourth of July speech at Newburyport, Massachusetts.

http://www.eadshome.com/QuotesoftheFounders.htm

Then make your determination what you think they believed.

im23vaughn
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting im23vaughn:

You've been reading MODERN history books, haven't you?  Re-writers of history would like us to believe our forefathers were Deists, but they absolutely were indeed Christian/Judeo.

No, I haven't. I have researched the issue and read the letters that were written by our forefathers. Believe what you like. Research the issues:

Treaty of Tripoli: Article 11: Created in 1796 The preliminary treaty began with a signing on 4 November, 1796 (the end of George Washington's last term as president

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, - as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen, - and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

1st Admendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I could begin to list quotes from all of the founding fathers, but I have done this before.( More than likely you will not listen as you are set in your own beliefs)  It has been proven time and time again that the forefathers never intended for laws to be made based on Christian principles and that they were deists though they were also tolerant of the religous.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 25, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Stupid Pilgrims... why couldn't they all just stay home?!?!?  LOL

Quoting LauraKW:

I know!  :)

2boys2love79
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I'm curious as to what makes somebody say this country was founded on judeo-Christian beliefs.  What makes you think that?  I mean, aside from brief mention of "a" creator (note: not  THE creator) and "year of our lord" in the Constitution, it's very secular.  And it's the supreme law of our land.  What exactly does it have in common with judeo christian beliefs?  What is the correlation there?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)